Greyson - too trendy?

My husband’s name is Greg0ry P@ul (Lastname). [name_f]My[/name_f] husband would love to have a son named after him, but for complicated reasons we can’t possibly name a son Greg0ry P@ul. Also, both of our dads are named GregOry. We like the compromise of [name_u]Greyson[/name_u] [name_m]Paul[/name_m], but I worry about [name_u]Greyson[/name_u] getting lost in a sea of [name_m]Kayson[/name_m], [name_u]Jayden[/name_u], [name_u]Aiden[/name_u], and [name_m]Bryson[/name_m] (all popular names in our area.) What do you think of [name_u]Greyson[/name_u]? [name_m]Will[/name_m] it age poorly? [name_u]Or[/name_u] do you think the positive family associations will top the trendiness?

Also, what do you think of the nn [name_u]Grey[/name_u] - cute, or too gloomy?

I think the nickname [name_u]Grey[/name_u] is sweet, but to be perfectly honest, I do think [name_u]Greyson[/name_u] is one of those names that won’t age too well. I feel like in 20 years’ time it will be very dated to this time. It already feels very 2010s to me.
Maybe [name_u]Griffin[/name_u]? [name_m]Grant[/name_m]? [name_m]Graham[/name_m]? [name_u]Or[/name_u] [name_u]Rory[/name_u], which is one of the nicknames of [name_m]Gregory[/name_m]?

1 Like

Love the nn Grey, but I also think it be best to maybe try new honors given how it’s so easy for -son names to get lost especially if these names are popular in your area! I see no problem with the combo other than it not really being the best for your scenario and in general not my favorite name (thats just opinion Greyson Paul makes for a great combo situation and bias aside )

Names to honor Gregory to maybe get ideas are:

G NAMES:
Gordon
Gavin
Gabriel
Graham
Gaul

SOUND NAMES:
Timothy
Jeffery
Avery
Brody
Corey
Wesley
Zachary

I like the idea of father and son matching without having the same initials I love Gregory and Timothy the best for you as Timothy Paul sounds well and goes well with Gregory without being too matchy!

I find it way too trendy to be honest. It skyrocketed in popularity and probably will drop that fast too. But it would be a nice way to honour family if you don’t mind.

I think Greyson is fine. It is pretty trendy, but it’s among the trendy names that I think will age well enough.

However, would you consider Gregson for something a little different? It may be too close to Greg0ry, but I just thought I’d throw it out there as an option. :slight_smile:

Back when I started in NB, [name_u]Greyson[/name_u] was always on my signature because I loved it. I do think [name_u]Greyson[/name_u] will be “one more” of the -a/e/ysons. But it hasn’t to be bad per se. Trendy names are trendy for a reason. There’s nothing wrong with [name_u]Greyson[/name_u] itself. It has an easy spelling and a familiar sound. It’s easy to remember, [name_u]Grey[/name_u] is a cool nickname and it doesn’t sound childish. Maybe now most the -aysons are children, but by the time your [name_u]Greyson[/name_u] [name_m]Paul[/name_m] will be 20, there will be hundreds of -aysons in their 20s, 30s and 40s and the name won’t be perceived as trendy anymore.

The name will be attached to a decade, as well as [name_f]Britney[/name_f], [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] or [name_u]Courtney[/name_u] are attached to the 90s. But as well as “old names” that are become popular again will be attached to this period of time.

So, what I want to say it’s that [name_u]Greyson[/name_u] is trendy, but is not a bad name. It has a nice meaning to you and to your family. [name_u]Grey[/name_u] is a pretty cool nickname.

2 Likes

Greyson is very charming!

I do think [name_u]Greyson[/name_u] is trendy, but as @UndertheRainbow said, names grow up with generations–so I expect [name_u]Greyson[/name_u] will age perfectly fine. I quite like [name_u]Grey[/name_u] as a nickname. And I think [name_u]Greyson[/name_u] nn [name_u]Grey[/name_u] makes a great honor name for [name_m]Gregory[/name_m]! There’s also the possibility of using a name that shares [name_m]Gregory[/name_m]’s meaning (“vigilant”/“watchman”): [name_u]Eran[/name_u], [name_u]Grier[/name_u], [name_u]Ira[/name_u]…but I think prefer [name_u]Greyson[/name_u] to any of those. Especially given the family associations, [name_u]Greyson[/name_u] gets my vote!

4 Likes

I’m not a fan of [name_u]Greyson[/name_u] and think it’s a bit trendy though in general would say connection to the name trumps trendiness or popularity and if you really like the name go for it. Also not a fan of giving sons the exact same full name as their father. [name_u]Four[/name_u] Gregorys in the family sounds like far too many :-). I would use [name_m]Gregory[/name_m] (or [name_m]Paul[/name_m] or another meaningful family name for you) as the middle name and just choose a first name YOU like (that goes with the surname) regardless of whether it sounds like [name_m]Gregory[/name_m] or starts with G.

Yes, [name_u]Greyson[/name_u] is definitely too trendy. I think [name_u]Grey[/name_u] by itself is ok.
I’d consider similar names to [name_m]Gregory[/name_m] like,
[name_u]Grady[/name_u]
[name_m]Grant[/name_m]
[name_m]Graham[/name_m]
[name_m]Gregor[/name_m] (love this! And I think it works eventhough is almost the same as [name_m]Gregory[/name_m]. [name_m]Gregor[/name_m] isn’t exactly the same.)

I really like the name [name_u]Greyson[/name_u] nn [name_u]Grey[/name_u]. I’ve only ever met two Graysons and one [name_u]Grady[/name_u]. One [name_u]Grayson[/name_u] was my age, older. The other, elementary school aged. I think its a great honor name for your husband and father.

I do think [name_u]Greyson[/name_u] will end up being dated due to its spike in popularity, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t use it! [name_m]Even[/name_m] dated names age with the wearer. I also think [name_u]Greyson[/name_u] will soon likely drop in popularity. It sounds like a nice honor name! I also think the nickname [name_u]Grey[/name_u] is cute.

If the trendiness bothers you, other users have suggested some nice names in the place of [name_u]Greyson[/name_u]!

I seem to have a very unpopular opinion here, but I think [name_u]Greyson[/name_u] is a pretty strong name! It doesn’t quite sound like any other -son name to me, and [name_u]Grey[/name_u] is a fabulous nn! I think it will age well, but if you were having second thoughts, I would maybe use [name_u]Griffin[/name_u] instead!

I think [name_u]Greyson[/name_u] would age fine and I do like it as a name, particularly for your situation. It is incredibly popular here (ranked #7 for my state last year, spelled [name_u]Grayson[/name_u], and #39 spelled [name_u]Greyson[/name_u]), so that would turn me off, personally, but I do think it’s a nice name.