Grover

[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [GRO-vər] is from the Old [name_f]English[/name_f] graf, meaning “grove of trees”. It’s most commonly associated with the “lovable, cute and furry” blue monster residing on [name_f]Sesame[/name_f] [name_f]Street[/name_f]. I, however, think of [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Washington[/name_m] [name_m]Jr[/name_m]. and the song “[name_m]Just[/name_m] the Two of Us”. The former U.S. [name_m]President[/name_m] [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Cleveland[/name_m] is a bit of an afterthought as well.

What do you think of the name [name_m]Grover[/name_m]? Which, if any, of the combos below do you like? Suggestions?

[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Alfred[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] / [name_u]Elliott[/name_u]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Martin[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Edwin[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Clement[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Walden[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Thaddeus[/name_u]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Julian[/name_u]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Reuben[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Nash[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Albin[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Willis[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Peregrine[/name_u]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Leo[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Augustus[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Alden[/name_u]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Timothy[/name_u]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Wallace[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Hugh[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Eben[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Wesley[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Lionel[/name_u]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Percy[/name_u]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Hamish[/name_m]

Thanks!

1 Like

I think [name_m]Grover[/name_m] is a great choice! It falls right into the turn-of-the-century name category that is making a comeback now. It’s a sweet spot name that is familiar but still uncommon, and, to me, it comes off as friendly and unexpected. [name_m]Grover[/name_m] was my husband’s grandfather’s name and the only name I considered seriously from his side of the family.

I like [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] best because 1. I love [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] and would also like to witness its comeback and 2. I am partial to a good 2 syllable 1 syllable combo. [name_f]My[/name_f] other favorites from your list would be [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m], [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], and [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m].

2 Likes

You know, I think it could grow on me! “Old-man names” are quite in-style again, and [name_m]Grover[/name_m] may just be the name to use now and keep ahead of the curve.

Grover [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] are very handsome! I think those tried-and-true traditionals nicely complement the vintage charm of [name_m]Grover[/name_m]. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love [name_m]Grover[/name_m]! I think [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], and [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] are my favorites of yours, but I also like [name_u]Peregrine[/name_u] and [name_m]Leo[/name_m]. [name_f]My[/name_f] ideal [name_m]Grover[/name_m] combo would probably be something like [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u], but you have some great combos yourself! :heart:

1 Like

I’ve been crushing on [name_m]Grover[/name_m] this week! I even pitched it to my bf, who unfortunately does not share my affection for it. But I think it’s ready for a moment in the spotlight!

I love [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Alfred[/name_m], [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Edwin[/name_m], [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Albin[/name_m], [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m], and [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Lionel[/name_u] <3

1 Like

Grover is cool and interesting!

I like [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m], [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Peregrine[/name_u] and [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Julian[/name_u]

1 Like

I absolutely love [name_m]Grover[/name_m]! One of my favorite names

[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m], [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Thaddeus[/name_u], [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Albin[/name_m], [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Peregrine[/name_u], [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Augustus[/name_m], [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Edmund[/name_m], and [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] are my top picks from your list

1 Like

I love it!

Grover [name_m]William[/name_m] is my fav!
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_u]Love[/name_u] this! I actually pretty much love your whole list. [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Felix[/name_m] would also be cute.

1 Like

You know, I think it could really grow on me! It has a sort of cozy vibe that I really like. [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] and [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Leo[/name_m] are my favorites from your combos!

1 Like

I flipping love [name_m]Grover[/name_m], for all the reasons. I think [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] and [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Walden[/name_m] in particular sound pretty good.

2 Likes

I think it’s very cute and definitely usable (ready for a comeback!)

1 Like

Always the unpopular opinion here, I don’t care for it. Since my son is a toddler, he’s very into [name_f]Sesame[/name_f] [name_f]Street[/name_f] - so for me I just can’t get past the association with the blue monster. The same would go for [name_m]Elmo[/name_m], [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], [name_u]Bert[/name_u] or [name_m]Ernie[/name_m]. I’m also pretty into history so [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Cleveland[/name_m] does come to mind - not the greatest association either - he married a friend’s daughter MUCH younger than him - the same daughter he bought the parents a baby carriage for when she was born and had a hand in her raising after the friend/her father died - super creepy to me. That’s my own personal hang ups on it. But if you aren’t bombarded with [name_f]Sesame[/name_f] [name_f]Street[/name_f] or creeped out my the former president’s history like I am, it’s an interesting choice. The classmates of this child will likely make the association with [name_f]Sesame[/name_f] [name_f]Street[/name_f] though, since they’ll be young kids. He may get teased for that, which would be unfortunate. Out of all your pairings - [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] sounds best to me.

3 Likes

I like [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] and [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Alden[/name_u]!

[name_m]Grover[/name_m] is a tough one - I want to love it but the Sesame [name_f]Street[/name_f] association runs deep spanning so many generations. I think its one every single person has so for that reason I am not sure although the name itself is really nice. I could see it being popular if not for Sesame [name_f]Street[/name_f] character.

1 Like

Unfortunately it sounds like a dog name to me.

My favourite of your combos is [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Elliott[/name_u]

1 Like

I think [name_m]Grover[/name_m] is super handsome! Could be studious and dignified and could also go casual,cool guy. I think alot of the turn of the century boys names are that way and I like them for it! How many syllables does your LN have? I like 3 or 1 syllables with [name_m]Grover[/name_m], with some exceptions. You could pair it with another turn of the century name or go on the nature name theme to explore more ideas.

I like these the best from your list:
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Thaddeus[/name_u]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Nash[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Alden[/name_u]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]

My suggestions:
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] :star_struck:
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Emmanuel[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Solomon[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Vincent[/name_m]

1 Like

I haven’t had a chance to comment over the past two days so these might be a bit longer, but I definitely want to get back to you all!

@jk_garrison: I’m glad to hear you all considered [name_m]Grover[/name_m], even if it wasn’t used. :slight_smile:

@katkabet: [name_m]Grover[/name_m] deserves a bit of love! I think you’re on the right track with suggesting a fresher middle name.

@elanorelle: I 100% agree that if someone used [name_m]Grover[/name_m] now they’d be well ahead of the curve. Traditional names do sit really well with [name_m]Grover[/name_m].

I’d say [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m] is one of my favorites and the first I had come to mind. I don’t even particularly like the name [name_m]William[/name_m] but it works well here.

@ashthedreamer: I’m glad you like it! [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] is a great combo.

@AerieEerie: It’s the perfect crush! [name_m]Grover[/name_m]’s on the verge of what’s coming up in trends now but a lot of people are put off by the associations. It makes him stand out a bit more.

@Greyblue: Thanks so much!

@lateaugust: Those are some of my favorites from the list as well. I’m glad you like them!

@travelenthusiast: [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m] is one of my favorites too! :slight_smile:

@cactusgram: [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m] is probably my top combo for [name_m]Grover[/name_m]. [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m]—typically as [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m] [name_m]Jove[/name_m]—is my #1 boy’s name though.

Grover [name_m]Felix[/name_m] is a wonderful combo! I work for my father and his best friend [name_m]Felix[/name_m]. So, [name_m]Felix[/name_m] has great associations for me.

@dandy_orchid: I hadn’t thought about that, but it really is rather cozy. Thanks!

3 Likes

@18_25: All the reasons are good reasons!

@kidpix21: It’s completely ready for a comeback. I mean, if [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] can, [name_m]Grover[/name_m] can.

@Kytana23: No worries! I welcome all opinions on my posts, even if you have a negative view of the name. You may have information I don’t. And, here, you definitely do.

That’s just gross.

I will say it doesn’t really tarnish my idea of [name_m]Grover[/name_m] though, thankfully. It comes down to him just being an afterthought for me.

Thanks for sharing!

@Rachelhaydenberk: The [name_f]Sesame[/name_f] [name_f]Street[/name_f] association is a longstanding one, for sure. I can understand it putting you off. I think that there are some ways to get around it. [name_f]Remember[/name_f] way back when the majority of comments on the name [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] were about [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] the Grouch and how it was unusable? :slight_smile:

I see it as sort of that situation here but I’m leaning into it.

@Etymology: [name_m]Grover[/name_m] / Rover. I can totally see how it would come off as a dog name for some people.

@JadeLinnell: [name_m]Grover[/name_m] is super handsome! I see it the same way. [name_f]My[/name_f] surname has two syllables.

I think a nature name is the way to go, just given my fondness for them. But it’s so hard to find a nice nature name for a boy!

I love your suggestions of [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] and [name_m]Grover[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m].

Thank you!

Grover gives pleasant and appealing vibes. Reminds me of something cozy—warm sweaters, hot chocolate, fireplace chats. I’d say go for it!

1 Like

Some nature but not too out-there or hippie names I like are:

Brooks
[name_m]Flint[/name_m]
[name_u]Linden[/name_u]
[name_u]Reed[/name_u]
[name_m]Clay[/name_m]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_m]Arvid[/name_m]
[name_u]Ash[/name_u]
[name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_m]Cullen[/name_m]