Gus

[name]Hi[/name] all, I am new here, 13 weeks preggers and need help with boys name.
DH loves the name [name]Gus[/name]. I think it is a great nickname but feel it needs a longer name. [name]Baby[/name] is due in February so feels odd to name him [name]August[/name]. We do not know the sex yet, but this is one of the contenders if baby is a boy. Other names on my list are [name]Xavier[/name] [name]Nathaniel[/name] and [name]Dominic[/name]. DH still loves [name]Gus[/name] more, and it is a family name, short for [name]Gustav[/name]. Not fond of that option either. [name]Angus[/name] is not an option as we live in a farming area and it is a breed of cattle! Can you help with a longer name, NN [name]Gus[/name]??
We have a daughter [name]Chloe[/name] [name]Chantal[/name].

Thanks!

I would still name him [name]August[/name], as the month was named after a [name]Roman[/name] Emperor, he was not named after the month. I have a bit more of a problem with names like [name]Autumn[/name] if a baby is not born in the season, or names of months that weren’t names before they were months, like February or [name]November[/name], which are respectively, seasonal and derived from the number month it was in the [name]Roman[/name] calendar before the Gregorian calendar was adopted. Not really heard any children named February or [name]November[/name], but it could happen, it’s just an example. [name]August[/name] is a name before it’s a month, so I would still use it any time of year.

I actually prefer to name a child [name]August[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]April[/name] if they’re NOT born in that specific month. It just seems too overly cutesy if they’re born in that month…

[name]August[/name]
[name]Augustus[/name]
[name]Augustin[/name]
[name]Augustine[/name]
[name]Fergus[/name]
[name]Ferguson[/name]

Those are all I can think of, hope that helps!

[name]Gus[/name] is a very cute name! I think you could name your son [name]August[/name] nn [name]Gus[/name] no matter what month he is born in.

[name]August[/name] is a great name and [name]Gus[/name] is very cute!

I love [name]Gus[/name] on its own. To me, its a perfectly fine stand alone name.

[name]August[/name] is a good option, though I don’t love unisex names on boys.

The only other option I can think of that hasn’t been mentioned is [name]Angus[/name].

Since when is [name]August[/name] unisex? It might be ironically chosen for a girl like other month names like [name]June[/name] or [name]May[/name], but it hasn’t cracked the top 1000 yet, so if you know someone, that’s pretty rare. It has always been a boy’s name, the month was named after someone who is a man. It is so far not very popular for boys either, just above 500, but so far, I think it’s pretty distinctly a boy’s name.

Thanks for your input! Much appreciated! I think I will suggest [name]August[/name] nn [name]Gus[/name]!

[name]August[/name] is my absolute favourite. I love [name]Augustin[/name] as well :slight_smile:

I’ve also heard of [name]Gus[/name] used for:

[name]Angus[/name]
[name]Fergus[/name]
[name]Magnus[/name]
[name]Octavius[/name]

I like [name]Dominic[/name] and [name]Chloe[/name] as a sibset, easier to say than [name]Nathaniel[/name] and [name]Chloe[/name], I would end up with [name]Nate[/name] and [name]Chloe[/name].

[name]Chloe[/name] [name]Chantal[/name] and [name]Dominic[/name] [name]Xavier[/name].