Gwendolen v Gwendolyn

What are the pros and cons? I notice that my computer says [name]Gwendolen[/name] is misspelled while [name]Gwendolyn[/name] is not… Which is the original?

I believe [name]Gwendolen[/name] is the original, because when you look up the -lyn spelling on here or BNW it says it’s a variation of the -len spelling. I honestly prefer [name]Gwendolyn[/name] spelled this way.

Behind the Name (very reliable for etymology) also lists [name]Gwendolyn[/name] as a spelling variation of [name]Gwendolen[/name], so I would guess that the E spelling is the original. Here’s what it says:

[name]GWENDOLEN[/name]
Usage: Welsh
Pronounced: [name]GWEN[/name]-d?-lin (English) [key]
Means “white ring”, derived from the Welsh elements gwen “white, fair, blessed” and dolen “ring”. This was the name of a mythical queen of the Britons who defeated her husband in battle, as told by [name]Geoffrey[/name] of Monmouth.

Also, I think maybe -wyn is usually the male version while -wen is feminine in Welsh, but I could be completely wrong about that. In any case, I much prefer [name]Gwendolen[/name]; I think the Y looks trendy, like [name]Kathryn[/name], [name]Madelyn[/name], etc.

[name]Ah[/name], you’re right, [name]Gwendolen[/name] is definitely the original. Though [name]Gwendolyn[/name] is more popular…

Wait, you prefer it with the y or the e? I really can’t decide. The only thing that sways me either way is that my name starts with lyn… I don’t think the y looks trendy, since it’s the more common spelling. Also, it’s so uncommon either way that I don’t really think it could ever be trendy.

[name]Hi[/name], [name]Lyndsay[/name]!

Okay, I think we’ve established that [name]Gwendolen[/name] is the original spelling. Interestingly, my computer doesn’t think either one is spelled incorrectly, yet it thinks [name]Rebecca[/name] is misspelled. Odd!

I personally prefer [name]Gwendolen[/name], simply because you know me and I love a literary connection. I think [name]Oscar[/name] Wilde is fabulous, ‘The Importance of Being [name]Earnest[/name]’ is a classic, and [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Fairfax[/name] is spunky and sassy. [name]Love[/name] it! Also, I know that technically speaking, [name]Gwendolen[/name] and [name]Gwendolyn[/name] are pronounced identically, but I like to give a bit more emphasis to the “len” ending of [name]Gwendolen[/name], and it just kind of glides off the tongue in a really elegant way, I think. [name]Gwendolyn[/name]'s lovely, and the only [name]Gwen[/name] I’ve ever met was a [name]Gwendolyn[/name], but I simply prefer [name]Gwendolen[/name]. It’s streamlined and elegant. [name]Gwendolyn[/name] certainly isn’t trendy, but with [name]Madelyn[/name] and such, it could look that way to the untrained observer…

Take care!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Lemon[/name], I was hoping you oils chime in! Though I already know you like it better with the e! I like your point about the pronunciation. I do say them very slightly differently, probably not differently enough that anyone else would notice, but I do!

I have only read The Importance of Being [name]Earnest[/name] once, but I did love it! It’s on my bookshelf, maybe I will read it again. I’ve never met a [name]Gwen[/name], [name]Gwendolen[/name], [name]Gwendolyn[/name] or any other variation! That is a BIG plus for me! And [name]Gwen[/name] [name]Stefani[/name] has been one of my favorites since 1995! So I really love that connection. [name]Chris[/name]’ favorite super hero (and he’s big into super heroes) is spider man… [name]Little[/name] known fact is that [name]Peter[/name] [name]Parker[/name]'s first love was [name]Gwen[/name] [name]Stacy[/name], not [name]Mary[/name] [name]Jane[/name], and MJ wasn’t even interested in him until she found out he was Spider [name]Man[/name]! [name]Gwen[/name] [name]Stacy[/name] was [name]Gwendolyn[/name], though. Wow, tangent much?

Anyway, I think that I prefer the look of [name]Gwendolen[/name]. But the one plus for [name]Gwendolyn[/name] is that it would sort of honor me with the lyn, especially since [name]Lyn[/name] is not the traditional spelling of my name, you know? So I do like that connection, but it’s not all that important since I’ve never had much of an interest in naming my kids after myself. Still, it might be nice.

Oh, [name]Lemon[/name]! You are the one who suggested [name]Gwendolen[/name] to me quite a while ago. You planted a seed! I have always loved it, but it has come to look increasingly perfect! Almost every other name has some issue. Not this one! Other than the spelling, of course! Oh there’s also the [name]Wendy[/name] bonus, since [name]Wendy[/name] Darling is my favorite! And [name]Chris[/name] has ALWAYS loved [name]Winnie[/name]. I’m thinking of it as a third daughter. [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Marguerite[/name] and [name]Gwendolen[/name]. [name]Betsey[/name], [name]Margo[/name] and [name]Gwen[/name]! What do you think?

She definitely got me hooked on [name]Gwendolen[/name] too!

I honestly like both spellings. We’re going to use the E though because it feels slightly less trendy and more formal. It also makes the name feel older and princessy. I do pronounce it a teeny bit different too. I feel like the [name]LEN[/name] ending is more natual for me-- the very slight [name]LYN[/name] emphasis is harder.

I know I suggested it to you a while back, [name]Lyndsay[/name], and I’m so glad you love it! It get’s you [name]Gwen[/name], which is awesome, and that oh-so-sweet [name]Wendy[/name] nickname. I think [name]Gwendolen[/name] is absolutely perfect with [name]Dashiell[/name], really, and I think [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Marguerite[/name], and [name]Gwendolen[/name] are great together! They’re spunky and classic and elegant! I’m a [name]Libby[/name] fan, myself, but I know how much you love [name]Betsey[/name], so I think [name]Betsey[/name], [name]Margo[/name], and [name]Gwen[/name] are ideal with Master [name]Dash[/name]!

Oh, gosh, I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Libby[/name], too! The coolest 8th grader when I was in 7th grade was named [name]Libby[/name] and I’ve thought it was awesome ever since then. [name]Libby[/name] [name]Becker[/name] doesn’t work for me, though. And I don’t like that it’s rather similar to my name. Maybe [name]Betsey[/name] will name her daughter [name]Elizabeth[/name] and call her [name]Libby[/name], that’d be great!

Go to this link! It’s yesterday’s paper! I’m going to take it down in a little bit, but look! Look! It’s [name]Dash[/name]!
http://epaper.ocregister.com/Repository/[name]Orange[/name]/2010/08/24/1/Img/Pg001_66.png

Omigosh, [name]Lyndsay[/name], what a little stud you’ve got! I love it - “18-month-old [name]Dash[/name] [name]Becker[/name]…” - what a cool name your kid has! And, agreed, [name]Libby[/name] [name]Becker[/name] isn’t ideal, but I love [name]Libby[/name] enough that I’d still use it. I said it aloud a few times and it doesn’t bug me SO much. But, back to the picture, you should frame that! Not only does [name]Dash[/name] look adorable, it’s really a great picture from an artsy standpoint, in my opinion!

Yeah I agree that [name]LEN[/name] just rolls off the tongue a little better! One of the reasons I love it is that it’s so princessy! [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Marguerite[/name] and [name]Gwendolen[/name] all sound like princess/queen names to me! I [name]LOVE[/name] that, having a very un-princessy name myself! So apparently that is the kind of name I want for my girls! Gosh, I so hope I have at least three girls. I just really love those three together and I want to use them all. I feel like I’ve finally found the perfect sisters to make [name]Elizabeth[/name] seem interesting instead of boring! I’m still in shock that my husband loves [name]Marguerite[/name]. Now, If I can just get him to come around to [name]Catherine[/name] or a variation of it… maybe I can plan to conceive a baby on [name]Catalina[/name] island someday! THEN I could have [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Marguerite[/name], [name]Gwendolen[/name], [name]Adelaide[/name] and [name]Catherine[/name]! Ohhh, I love that set! [name]Betsey[/name], [name]Margo[/name], [name]Gwen[/name], [name]Heidi[/name] and [name]Cat[/name]. Yep, I think that’s my perfect sister set. I don’t know if he’ll ever like [name]Catherine[/name], though. I probably won’t have five daughters though, so we’re probably safe! Now I have to nail down a middle name! If you can’t tell, baby names is my favorite form of escapism…

[name]Lemon[/name], thanks for the compliments on the picture! My neighbor is a photographer for the paper and he needed to get people keeping cool! There are 4 pictures of [name]Dash[/name] on the online slideshow, and I just cannot believe he made the front page! I’m soo stoked! It’s his first step to meeting [name]Dolly[/name] [name]Rebecca[/name] [name]Rose[/name]… what if [name]Rebecca[/name] was in [name]Orange[/name] County yesterday and went to Starbucks and saw that? Stranger things have happened! I will most definitely be framing it! My mom had the idea of making a shadow box with the bathing suit and sunglasses and all, I think that’s what I’m going to do!

Aw, for sure - a shadowbox is a great idea! And, yes, I’m sure [name]Dolly[/name] [name]Rebecca[/name] [name]Rose[/name] will see the picture and want to meet the handsome Mister [name]Dash[/name]. You’re on your way, [name]Lyndsay[/name]!

Oh, if my [name]Elizabeth[/name] wants to go by [name]Libby[/name], I will fully support her! I have a suspicion that she will change her nickname a lot, the was I always did when I imagined I was [name]Elizabeth[/name]… That’s the beauty of it! Watch her decide to go by [name]Flora[/name]!

So I’ve been thinking of middles, what do you think of [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Ann[/name] Tilley? Does it sparkle? I kind of feel like almost everything sparkles with [name]Gwendolen[/name]. I was trying to make [name]Gwendolen[/name] Lulette work, but it seems off, no? I do like the prospect of Gwinnie [name]Lu[/name], though! Maybe [name]Gwendolen[/name] Lulette will grow on me. After all, I thought [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Flora[/name] Darling had a terrible flow at first but I love it SO much now!

[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Flora[/name] Darling
[name]Marguerite[/name] [name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Mills[/name]
[name]Gwendolen[/name] Lulette ([name]Frost[/name], [name]Sage[/name], [name]Starr[/name])
[name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Ann[/name] Tilley
[name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Ottilie[/name] [name]Star[/name]

[name]Marguerite[/name] Jenness ____ is another possibility. [name]Chris[/name] likes the MJ nn. I like the initials but he said he would call her that all the time and I definitely don’t want that. And there’s just something so right about [name]Marguerite[/name] [name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Mills[/name] to me. Hmm, this just came to me, [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Ottilie[/name] [name]Sage[/name]… [name]Ottilie[/name] for Tilley… Or, [name]Gwendolen[/name] Lulette [name]Starr[/name]… [name]Starr[/name] definitely doesn’t read as a surname, does it… [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Ottilie[/name] [name]Starr[/name]? [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Ann[/name] [name]Starr[/name]?

[name]Edit[/name]! Ok i know two seconds ago I had no clue… But I think I just got a major crush oh [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Ottilie[/name] [name]Starr[/name]. Tell me the truth before I fall in love, is it too weird? And is the flow any better than [name]Gwendolen[/name] Lulette [name]Starr[/name]? Or are [name]BOTH[/name] of those too weird?

:pops head in:

[name]Dash[/name] is the cutest boy [name]EVER[/name].

[name]Lyndsay[/name],

[name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Ann[/name] Anything really doesn’t sound good to me. [name]Ann[/name] gets lost with the ending of [name]Gwendolen[/name], as they are very similar. I’d use [name]Ann[/name] in a place that she’ll shine! [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Flora[/name] Darling is perfect - I love that! [name]Marguerite[/name] [name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Mills[/name] is very pretty, but I keep reading it as [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Mills[/name] because I like the flow better - have you considered [name]Marguerite[/name] [name]Celia[/name] [name]Mills[/name]? But, I know [name]Cecilia[/name] is so special to you, so [name]Marguerite[/name] [name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Mills[/name] isn’t bad by any standard. Compared to your other names, yes, [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Ottilie[/name] [name]Starr[/name] is strange, because all three names are so unusual. And, no, I can’t say [name]Starr[/name] comes off as a surname; in fact, it comes off much the same way that a name like [name]Angel[/name] or [name]Crystal[/name] might - slightly cheap. I’m sorry! But, I love the flow of [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Ottilie[/name] [name]Starr[/name], too, so maybe it could work! [name]Gwendolen[/name] Lulette has a lot of L, yes, but it could work, I think. I’m trying to think of other names you’ve mentioned - [name]Katherine[/name]? [name]Lucretia[/name], maybe? [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Katharina[/name] [name]Sage[/name], for your mom? I don’t know, [name]Lyndsay[/name]! So, so hard!

I love the name, and I dont know which one is the original.

I like [name]Gwendolen[/name], but if it was for a middle name I would do [name]Gwendolyn[/name] because my moms name is spelled like that. Its weird, because I ussually like the Y, because I like [name]Jocelyn[/name], not Jocelen. Weird me!

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Lyndsay[/name], thought I would chime in as a fairly recent namer of a [name]Gwendolyn[/name] (she’s 2).

I think you’ve resolved the -en/-yn decision but here’s my two cents: I much prefer the -yn. It is an unusual name to begin with and one of my main criteria in a name is that people know how to pronounce and spell it. The -en ending takes it to an unfamiliar place to most people’s experience. While [name]Gwendolyn[/name] is unexpected, I’ve never had anyone misspell it! Also, I personally don’t like the repetition of gwENdolEN visually or in pronunciation. But I get that -en is the traditional spelling and wouldn’t blame you for using it - it’s just that -yn is such a longstanding variation that it seems different to me than [name]Madelyn[/name], more like the [name]Catherine[/name]/[name]Katherine[/name] debate.

I love, love, love all the [name]Gwendolen[/name] nicknames - sort of like [name]Elizabeth[/name]! [name]Gwen[/name]/[name]Gwennie[/name] is the one we use most, although DH calls her Gwendo pretty frequently. I also like [name]Winnie[/name], although not into [name]Wendy[/name] for some reason. My [name]Gwen[/name]'s middle is [name]Louise[/name] and I’ve been known to throw in a [name]Gwennie[/name] [name]Lou[/name] every once in a while :wink: (She corrected me the other day when I called her [name]Gwen[/name] - no, I [name]Gwennie[/name]!)

I love [name]Gwendolen[/name] with [name]Dashiell[/name] and your other choices - [name]Marguerite[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Adelaide[/name], etc. In fact, [name]Margo/name is my leading choice for a sister to [name]Gwendolyn[/name] (although I’m not currently expecting and not sure DH is on board). It seems to blend right into the style of a formal, dignified full name and myriad of nn’s ranging from playful ([name]Dash[/name], [name]Heidi[/name]) to traditional-but-unusual ([name]Betsey[/name], [name]Gwen[/name]).

For middles, you’ve got some great options. [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Ann[/name] doesn’t sparkle for me, I think [name]Lemon[/name] is right. [name]Gwendolen[/name] Tilley [name]Ann[/name] would be better I think, to put a little distance between the -len and [name]Ann[/name]. [name]Gwendolen[/name] Lulette is a little L heavy but it’s not bad and I know it honors your family (as [name]Louise[/name] did for me), so I wouldn’t shy away from it. I’m loving [name]Gwendolyn[/name] [name]Ottilie[/name] but they are both so unusual. Forgive me for not remembering which names are signficant and why - I may not be making good combos, but here are some ideas:
[name]Gwendolen[/name] Tilley [name]Ann[/name]
[name]Gwendolyn[/name] [name]Sage[/name] Tilley (I loved [name]Sage[/name] for a middle for my [name]Gwen[/name] - I love the repetition of the g even though it’s a soft g).
[name]Gwendolen[/name] Lulette [name]Sage[/name]/[name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Sage[/name] Lulette
[name]Gwendolen[/name] Lulette [name]Mills[/name] (in case [name]Marguerite[/name]'s names shift) - never mind, waaaay too many L’s!

Good luck!

[name]Gwendolyn[/name]! I’m all about this spelling. [name]Gwendolen[/name] just look odd to me.

[name]Lyndsay[/name],

I hate to throw in another, but [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Susanna[/name] [name]Sage[/name] B. just sounds “right” to me. It’s got three different styles of names that just work together beautifully, in my opinion, and it serves to honor your [name]Ann[/name]. I know you were considering [name]Susanna[/name] as a potential name earlier, so I’m not sure it’s even an option anymore, but I like this. A lot.

[name]Lemon[/name] :wink:

Ohh, that is so cute! I don’t know if I told why I cant use [name]Susanna[/name], my second cousin recently had a baby [name]Suzanne[/name] who was stillborn. I haven’t met this cousin but I do know her parents very well and I hear about her family often as I’m sure she hears about mine. I think it would be disrespectful to use such a similar name. I wonder if it would be ok to use in the middle, though. I will have to mull that over. [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Susanna[/name] [name]Sage[/name] is a gorgeous combo. And it WOULD honor my Anns… I’m not sure it would be right to use even in the middle. I’m sure she wouldn’t be angry or anything like that, but I just think it would be hurtful…

I’m trying to let myself love [name]Gwendolen[/name] Lulette. I very much like the look of it in cursive. It’s a bit hard to say, but once you get it down it works… On the other hand I would sort of want to give her a more mainstream middle… [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name]? Eh, except the first two have [name]Flora[/name] and [name]Cecilia[/name], which are just perfect. Oh! What about [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Annette[/name]? That’s my grandma’s real name. Err, wonky to say the EnAnn part still, isn’t it? What about [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name]? Since [name]Chris[/name] will probably never want to use [name]Rosalie[/name] as a first name and I do love it so.

[name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Susanna[/name]
[name]Gwendolen[/name] Lulette
[name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Annette[/name]
[name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]Ottilie[/name]