Gwendolen✨

I’ve been thinking a lot about the name [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] lately. So I thought I’d ask the berries what they think! I’ve got a few questions:

1. What are your feelings on this name? Like or dislike? What associations do you have with it?
  2. What imagery/what kind of a girl do you picture having this name?
  3. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think spelling is a big deal? [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] is definitely my favorite spelling, but because [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] is so much more popular in the U.S. I worry that a girl named [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] would forever have spelling issues.
  4. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you prefer the combo [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] [name_f]Ruby[/name_f], [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], or [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f]?

Thank you!

1 Like

1. What are your feelings on this name? Like or dislike? What associations do you have with it?

It feels both clunky and elegant, with literary / story-book vibes. I quite like it but it is one I go back and forth on.

2. What imagery/what kind of a girl do you picture having this name?

I get old books, Victorian sort of imagery, vintage clothes, cosy jumpers and clunky boots.

3. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think spelling is a big deal? [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] is definitely my favorite spelling, but because [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] is so much more popular in the U.S. I worry that a girl named [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] would forever have spelling issues.

I’d say verrry them slightly differently - ‘-lyn’ would have a bit more of a distinctive LIN sound as the end, whereas ‘-len’ would have a softer, subtler one - somewhere between ‘len’ and ‘lin’??

[name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] would be my intuitive sp though, but I could be corrected :person_shrugging:

4. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you prefer the combo [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] [name_f]Ruby[/name_f], [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], or [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f]?

[name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] :slight_smile:

1 Like
  1. it’s not my style, but i like it a lot for others!! i think it’s really pretty, and the perfect medium between classic & whimsical. my only association is the gwendolyn ‘gwen’ from ben 10, which is a cartoon i sometimes watched when i was little :sweat_smile: so, nothing significant !!

2. it makes me think of someone sweet, bright and friendly, but also rather bookish and inquisitive! maybe a bit autumnal. i think gwendolen’s vibes really have to do with the nicknames – gwen is more sleek and tailored and has a more quiet, studious vibe, but a lot of its other nicknames (dolly, gwendy, winnie, etc) feel more playful & bubbly to me, like a bright spring day

3. i’m not from the US so my opinion isn’t too relevant, but i feel like it’s an easy enough correction to make. i would also pronounce them slightly differently, like the previous poster said!

4. i really like the sound & feel of gwendolen blythe, but all 3 are lovely!

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

1. I love [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f]! I personally need this spelling. It looks so much more sleek than [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] to me. I don’t think that [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] is that popular, so I wouldn’t think that people would be super familiar with either spelling. It would be different if you were naming a girl [name_f]Ema[/name_f] or a boy [name_m]Henri[/name_m]. The only association that I have with the name is [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] [name_m]Cooper[/name_m] from The [name_m]Wonder[/name_m] Years. Her name is [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f], but alas, I still strongly prefer [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f]. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though it’s spelled differently, [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] ‘Winnie’ [name_m]Cooper[/name_m] is most of the reason that I like the name. And I would personally absolutely use the nn [name_f]Winnie[/name_f]. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_f]Winnie[/name_f]?

2. [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] [name_m]Cooper[/name_m] has dark hair, but I really can picture [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] more on a blonde/golden hair girl. Sort of quiet & bookish but glamorous at the same time.

3. (I kind of answered #1 :blush: )

4. [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is on my list, too. [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] is :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! It did help. :blush:

I much prefer the [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] spelling too. I agree it does look sleeker. The -lyn ending makes it look trendy with all the other -lyn names, and I just feel like it takes some of the charm away from the name.

I really love all Gwendolen’s nicknames. [name_f]Gwen[/name_f], [name_f]Gwennie[/name_f], [name_f]Wendy[/name_f], [name_f]Dolly[/name_f], Winnie…they’re all so cute!

Isn’t [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] just so gorgeous? I’m glad you like it too!

What are your feelings on this name? Like or dislike? What associations do you have with it?

[name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] is beautiful. I used to live in [name_m]Wales[/name_m], Welsh names reminds me of my time there in its fantastic landscape and culture. I know of twins named [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] and [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] (which could be spelt Gwendolen) which I think is wonderful!

What imagery/what kind of a girl do you picture having this name?

I think the name can be worn by anyone, but because of the meaning, and [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] [name_f]Stefani[/name_f], I picture blonde hair. I also get medieval princess vibes.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think spelling is a big deal? [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] is definitely my favorite spelling, but because [name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f] is so much more popular in the U.S. I worry that a girl named [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] would forever have spelling issues

I think most names have spelling issues, and with this one, it would be a case of most people know how to spell it, you’d just need to say “Gwendolen spelt L E N” to counteract the Y.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you prefer the combo [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] [name_f]Ruby[/name_f], [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], or [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] [name_f]Blythe[/name_f]?

They’re all great but I think [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] complements [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] best. (My highly subjective reasoning is that [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] and [name_f]Ruby[/name_f] with [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] highlight her princessy-ness, but [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] is less traditionally feminine sounding so it adds some grit - accentuates her W and D sounds - putting some warrior armour on the princess!)

1 Like