hadley?

what does the nameberry world think about the name hadley? too trendy or becoming popular too fast? [name]Just[/name] curious…it appeals to me but not sure where it will be in say 10-20 years?

I love [name]Hadley[/name]! I don’t think it’s trendy at all–I’ve never met anyone named that. It’s adorable!

I love it…I wanted to use it but DH hated it and everyone thought it was too masculine or said it sounded like a dog’s name :cry: . A similar name, [name]Harper[/name], seems to be trendy in my area. I love [name]Hadley[/name], though – I think it is cute!

[name]Hadley[/name] is still fairly low on the popularity charts, but it does have a trendy ‘sound’ (surname with a ey ending). I think it you love it, you should use it. However, I would not be surprised at all if it became much more popular in the next few years. As a matter of fact, it has gone from not being in the top 1000 on the SSA list to being #361 in a little over 10 years.

I agree–its a great name (though I do think it will be coming up in the next few years too). If you’re worried about it being too masculine you can always call her Haddie/[name]Hattie[/name].

Thank you for the input! I do agree it is rising quickly in popularity. I can’t help but still like it though, especially with the nn Haddie, which I think gives it a little old-fashioned flair. After months of nothing sounding good to me except [name]Calla[/name], which I have now decided against, I think I may go with [name]Hadley[/name], especially since my husband thinks he likes it! (finally!).

Any opinions on a feminine middle name to go with it? My last name is 2 syllables, starts with a K and ends with “er”.

Thank you!

[name]Hadley[/name] is a surname to me simply because the only place I’ve heard it is Dr. [name]Remy[/name] [name]Hadley[/name]'s character on House. I think it’s becoming more and more popular because it’s a two syllable unisex-sounding name like [name]Riley[/name] and [name]Bailey[/name], with the surname feel of [name]Madison[/name] or [name]MacKenzie[/name], and it’s nickname can be Haddie, which is a nice alternative to the current [name]Addie[/name] ([name]Addison[/name])/[name]Maddie[/name] ([name]Madison[/name]/[name]Madeline[/name]) trend. That said, I still think it’s cute.

[name]Alexis[/name]

Below are some feminine middle names I think sound sweet with [name]Hadley[/name]:

[name]Hadley[/name] [name]Annalise[/name]
[name]Hadley[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Hadley[/name] [name]Annora[/name]
[name]Hadley[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Hadley[/name] [name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Hadley[/name] [name]Marianne[/name]
[name]Hadley[/name] [name]Zinnia[/name]
[name]Hadley[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]
[name]Hadley[/name] [name]Miranda[/name]

Below are some feminine middle names I think sound sweet with [name]Hadley[/name]:

[name]Hadley[/name] [name]Annalise[/name]
[name]Hadley[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Hadley[/name] [name]Annora[/name]
[name]Hadley[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Hadley[/name] [name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Hadley[/name] [name]Marianne[/name]
[name]Hadley[/name] [name]Zinnia[/name]
[name]Hadley[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]
[name]Hadley[/name] [name]Miranda[/name]

I think I’m in the minority, but I do think it’s trendy and will sound dated in 20 years. Not as much as Mckynleigh, but it is in the “name blob” of two syllable -ley/lie/lee/leigh/ly enders, which includes:
18 [name]Lily[/name]
20 [name]Ashley[/name]
25 [name]Hailey[/name]
26 [name]Kaylee[/name]
38 [name]Riley[/name]
61 [name]Kylie[/name]
85 [name]Bailey[/name]
92 [name]Molly[/name]
116 [name]Rylee[/name]
117 [name]Lilly[/name]
123 [name]Haley[/name]
148 [name]Kylee[/name]
149 [name]Marley[/name]
160 [name]Leslie[/name]
189 [name]Miley[/name]
212 [name]Haylee[/name]
216 [name]Carly[/name]
228 [name]Kayleigh[/name]
242 [name]Ryleigh[/name]
249 [name]Callie[/name]
263 [name]Caylee[/name]
268 [name]Presley[/name]
…and those are just the names and spellings in the top 300! I know they don’t all sound the exact same, but the sheer number of the two syllable -ley enders dates the sound, just like the -bert end for boys feels dated to our grandparent’s era.

[name]Hadley[/name] was the name of my college roommate…and he was a guy. I was surprised to read that it’s primarily a girl’s name, but I guess that sounds right now. But, it’s kinda cool on a boy too. He’s a doctor now, so he turned out ok.

i love the name [name]Hadley[/name]!!!

My 4 year old is [name]Hadley[/name]. I have LOVED the name since I was 14 (23 years ago now!) and read it in a [name]Hemingway[/name] book (his first wife’s name though he did not treat her all that well!).
I named her that because I loved it for so long. I figured that if I liked it that long, it should stand the test of time, right?
BTW, my name is [name]Lesley[/name] (fem spelling) and I NEVER once felt my name was dated. I tend to like many -ley names:
[name]Ainsley[/name]
[name]Brinley[/name]
Lindley
These are place names. They are not reserved for a boy or a girl. They are not frilly but they also age well on someone ([name]IMO[/name]).
Sometimes I think we place TOO much thought on these names. If you like it, you like it. If it helps, I am sure you did not become a name-lover overnight! Go back to some names you have liked for a long time. Again, if they stand the test of time for your liking, they surely will last as someone’s real name!
p.s. I do not think #417 is crazy popular! I know of one mom [name]Hadley[/name] and one 5 year old [name]Hadley[/name] in my town. Compare that to my other daughter [name]Phoebe[/name] and there are [name]SEVEN[/name] of them here (all different ages). I guess it depends on where you live!!! Good luck!

[name]Hadley[/name] update: uggh!!!

apparently [name]Hadley[/name] has become quite popular in my area, and it is the new fave to name baby girls. And I really liked it too!

There’s a [name]Hadley[/name] (girl) at my two year old’s storytime group at our library. The small group also has twins girls [name]Jameson[/name] and [name]Riley[/name]. And I just met a baby girl [name]Ainsley[/name] at the same library (not the same event).

Dixie2010 -
I am curious how many little “Hadleys” there are running around?!
My friend has a two year old named [name]Thea[/name] and another friend named her new daughter [name]Marie[/name]. One over 1000 and one at 571.
Any inspiration from those?!