Hand foot and mouth

Hello, parents of nameberry- I’m writing in search if advice/experiences with hand foot and mouth disease, particularly from parents with both a toddler and a newborn. My toddler has it we think (he has a virus, we took him to emergency room but he has since developed symptoms of HFMD so we are taking him to pediatrician in the morning) seems on the up and up (no fever) and our 6 week old has no symptoms so far but I am just worried sick that he will catch it and I’m not sure how dangerous it is.
[name_f]TIA[/name_f] for taking the time to respond!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there!

My daughter had hand, foot and mouth at around 8-9 months old.

I don’t have any other children but I remember being worried at the time as it was clearly a very unpleasant experience for her. She was angry and upset for a few days before the spots appearing and I assumed it was teething at the time.

We went to our doctor who told us that it should just go away by itself usually but as she had a few spots scabbing over/looking a bit strange he prescribed antibiotics to prevent infection. Within a week and a half she was all cleared up again.

So, my advice is look out for signs of baby getting more grumpy/fussy than usual, check out the spots regularly for any sign of infection, bathe toddler regularly with sensitive soap for some relief and try not to stress out! It should pass in no time.

@lectionn sorry you’re wee one went through it! So miserable! Your advice is right on par with what we have read, since its viral it just kind of runs it course. Not much you can do. We are just worried about our 6 week old catching it! But again not much we can do other than take care of toddler, keep them separated, keep everything clean and wipe down toys etc. We saw our doctor today and newborn baby is still in good health/not showing any symptoms of illness and our toddler is indeed on the up an up. So just waiting out the period where he is super contagious and trying not to dwell on the possibility that little guy will catch it :confused: thank you for the response, I will be trying my best not to stress too much!

My eldest two have both had it. It’s unpleasant but short-lived and, as far as I know, very rarely serious (it’s not one of the illnesses that can be dangerous in pregnancy, either). My children only really suffered with pain and fever for a couple of days; after that the rash still looked bad for a week or so but they clearly felt fine and were eating and playing normally.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] be aware that finger and toenails may fall out around 2-4 weeks after the illness! This happened suddenly with my first and I was totally freaked out, until I googled and realised that’s what it was. They grew back normally within a few months.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] F feels better soon!

My son just went through it at 10 months - it is so miserable for a few days but they do get over it by themselves! He’s the baby so I don’t have experience with a littler one, but from what I understand the only big problem is the possibility of developing high temperatures accompanying the disease, rather than the blisters being problematic themselves. Neither of mine (daughter also had it around 10 months old) developed even a low-grade temp with it.

Two things for your consideration: be aware that adults can contract it, and it’s pretty bad when they do. My husband had it when my daughter did and it.was.awful. So lots of hand washing for anyone caring for the toddler. Also, my son has been sick this past month with a variety of things, most recently croup, and we were told by a doctor that the HFM was to blame for lowering his immunity. So even after the HFM subsides, I’d stay vigilant with cleaning for a while - wish I had!

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] he feels better soon.

I’ve just finished studying Hand Foot & Mouth in my child development course, so hopefully I can help a little! :slight_smile:

Let me start with this - it sucks! SO and [name_m]SIL[/name_m] caught it as adults from my nephew when he was about 10-12 months (I can’t remember exactly, we weren’t a couple yet) and by all accounts, it’s uncomfortable, but not overly serious.

Catching it as an adult is less common, but can happen! Try to limit contact (kisses, mainly) between your toddler and others if possible, so it doesn’t spread, but don’t worry too much if it does - it’s pretty much harmless and only rarely has further complications.

It spreads via coughing and sneezing mainly, so make sure you’re using a disinfectant (like Lysol, or even a mix of 1 part bleach to 10 parts water) when cleaning, don’t let toddler and baby share toys that have been in mouths/in contact with bodily fluids unless disinfected, and more-than-usual hand-washing can help stop it from spreading further, especially after wiping noses or changing diapers (contact with bodily fluids)

Generally though, it’s not a dangerous disease - most children aren’t exempt from childcare here because of Hand Foot and Mouth, but they might stay home because they’re just uncomfortable from it, so I’d say your youngest is likely to be fine if he does contract it, but I’d check with your doctor if/when you take your eldest!

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] your LO feels better soon!

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] your baby’s still well [name_m]Yuma[/name_m], and that you and your partner are also!

My daughter picked it up from daycare when she was about 10 or 11 months, so a lot older than yours. She took it like a champ. I caught it off her and my feet were in hideous pain, panadol not touching it, I cried like a baby and lost heaps of the skin of the bottom of my feet as well as a toenail :frowning: can def be nasty, but seems pretty variable.