Handsome French Guys :)

Okay, so an author friend of mine has wrapped up one deadline and is leaping headfirst into her next project, in which one of the main characters is French, so she’s asked me for name ideas. He’s intended to be early 30s, dashing and light-hearted. I’ve pulled together a list of names I think are typical for the age range and accessible to non-French speakers, but I’d like to get everyone’s input. What sort of characters do you envision for these names? Any pronunciation problems? Any names that would distract you from the story? All input is appreciated.

And the nominees are:

[name]Eric[/name]
[name]Baptiste[/name]
[name]Clement[/name]
[name]Florent[/name]
Francois
[name]Frederic[/name]
[name]Henri[/name]
[name]Julien[/name]
[name]Marc[/name] (or [name]Jean[/name]-[name]Marc[/name])
[name]Maxime[/name]
[name]Olivier[/name]
[name]Quentin[/name]
[name]Theo[/name]
[name]Thibault[/name]
[name]Benoit[/name]
[name]Philippe[/name]
[name]Xavier[/name]
[name]Raphael[/name]
[name]Brice[/name]

I love [name]Baptiste[/name] the most!

[name]Eric[/name]: [name]Eric[/name] is nondescript to me, so I can see an [name]Eric[/name] as any role or age.

[name]Baptiste[/name]: I think this is awesome, [name]Melissa[/name]! I don’t know why, but this character is a villain to me.

[name]Clement[/name]: It’s easy to pronounce, and to me, [name]Clement[/name] is a good man.

[name]Florent[/name]: This name is very feminine to me, so [name]Florent[/name] is artsy.

Francois: I see an aristrocrat or older man.

[name]Frederic[/name]: [name]Frederic[/name] is any age to me, and he’s nondescript like [name]Eric[/name].

[name]Henri[/name]: I think of [name]Henri[/name] Bendel, so [name]Henri[/name] is stylish to me. [name]Young[/name] and stylish.

[name]Julien[/name]: [name]Julien[/name] is young to me, and open to any personality, much like [name]Eric[/name] and [name]Frederic[/name].

[name]Marc[/name] (or [name]Jean[/name]-[name]Marc[/name]): Ditto. What about [name]Jean[/name]-[name]Noel[/name]?

[name]Maxime[/name]: I doubt people unfamilar with French will prounce it correctly, but he’s young and handsome to me.

[name]Olivier[/name]: This will probably be pronounced as [name]Oliver[/name], but I doubt readers will notice much. I love this name, and think he’s young and handsome.

[name]Quentin[/name]: I only think of the actor, [name]Quentin[/name] Tarrantino, and his quirky personality.

[name]Theo[/name]: [name]Theo[/name] is young and bright.

[name]Thibault[/name]: This one will definitely be mispronounced by non-French speakers (and I’ve heard it mispronounced, too), but I think it’s great. [name]Thibault[/name] is a villain to me, and on the young side.

[name]Benoit[/name]: [name]Benoit[/name] is young, albeit quite conceited.

[name]Philippe[/name]: I think [name]Philippe[/name] is young, and I can see this name being any character, good or bad.

[name]Xavier[/name]: I think [name]Xavier[/name] is awesome, and it’s another one of those names that’s very flexible for me.

[name]Raphael[/name]: [name]Raphael[/name] is great, too, and he’s young, handsome, and kind.

[name]Brice[/name]: [name]Brice[/name] isn’t French at all to me, and I see him as a troubled teen.

What about [name]Jean[/name]-[name]Noel[/name] (I know a few), [name]Sebastian[/name], or [name]Nicolas[/name]? You have some great names here! :slight_smile: Good luck to your friend!

[name]Jill[/name], you’re a treasure. Thanks a million! And [name]Susan[/name], I love [name]Baptiste[/name] too, though it hurts my heart to think about how many people will just read it as “Baptist” (or, as we say in my neck of the woods, “[name]Bab[/name]-tiss”).

My mom says Bayuupteeussst. She is from Oklahoma. She calls me Seeyuusun.

[name]Glad[/name] to help, [name]Melissa[/name]! [name]Susan[/name], that was hysterical! :slight_smile:

My mom is pretty darn funny!

i vote for julien, as i personally know three hot french boys named julien ranging in age from 19 to 30.