Handsome, mysterious-sounding name for a male character?

So I’ve started to rewrite an old project of mine, a story that is a combination of high fantasy and paranormal romance, and I need a bit of help with a name for the love interest.

He’s an elf who’s come to 21st century Earth through a portal, and I’ve already made up his elven name. To fit in properly in this world, however, he adopts a human name, and I’m having trouble coming up with one. I always knew the surname he uses would be Fox, so I need a name to go with that. It should be a dashing, mysterious name, as he’s handsome and rather enigmatic. I was going to call him [name]Alastair[/name] at first, but it just doesn’t seem to fit because I can only imagine it on a fair-haired man and I imagine this character with dark hair. I can’t call him [name]Tristan[/name] or [name]Theo[/name]; those are already in use on other characters in case anyone wanted to suggest them.

I don’t have a fixed style when naming my characters; I tend to make their names as different as possible. Main character is [name]Cynthia[/name] (again, I always knew that was the name for her) and her best friend is [name]Molly[/name].

What is his [name]Elven[/name] name? I’d pick one that’s related by sound or meaning maybe. That way it’d be easier for him to use and remember from the get go.

[name]Lachlan[/name] (Lach/[name]Loch[/name]/[name]Locke[/name])
[name]Winslow[/name]
[name]Orin[/name]
[name]Colin[/name]
[name]Malachi[/name]/[name]Malachy[/name]
[name]Derek[/name]
[name]Roderick[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Dominic[/name]
[name]Crispin[/name]

I think [name]Dane[/name] [name]Fox[/name] would work.

1 Like

Some good ideas so far, but none of these suggestions really seem to fit the picture I have of him in my head. His real name is Calithas (which I haven’t invented a meaning for yet, because creating languages is hard), and the closest normal name to that is [name]Charles[/name]… wouldn’t work, because it’s not really suitable for his personality. The next closest name I can think of is [name]Cameron[/name], which is probably better, but I think something completely dissimilar would add to the mysteriousness a little.

I can see some other surname-as-first-name on him as well, like [name]Leighton[/name], [name]Nolan[/name] or [name]Desmond[/name]… still thinking, and could still use some more ideas!

[name]Fletcher[/name]
[name]Fabian[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Raphael[/name]
[name]Aston[/name]
[name]Florian[/name]
[name]Grey[/name] / [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Mercer[/name]
[name]Sheridan[/name]
[name]Lars[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name]
[name]Leander[/name]

[name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Nico[/name]
[name]Killian[/name]
[name]Phelan[/name]
[name]Evander[/name]
[name]Eleazar[/name]
[name]Piran[/name]
[name]Pierce[/name]
[name]Silvain[/name]
[name]Thane[/name]
[name]Amael[/name]
[name]Azaiah[/name]
[name]Oren[/name]

Might give you some inspiration, these are some of what I picture as tall, dark and handsome

[name]Austin[/name] came to mind for me.

[name]Caleb[/name] or [name]Calvin[/name] nicknamed [name]Cal[/name]! Or just [name]Cal[/name]!

[name]Warren[/name]
[name]Alex[/name]
[name]Robert[/name]
[name]Patrick[/name]
[name]Ethan[/name]
Owen

[name]Caelan[/name]
[name]Cael[/name]
[name]Calen[/name]

If he wants to fit in, I wouldn’t use something very unusual (unless it’s very close in sound to elven name)

[name]Benjamin[/name] (too friendly?)
[name]Thomas[/name]
Patick
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Vincent[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! I like [name]Derek[/name], [name]Roderick[/name], [name]Nathaniel[/name] and [name]Calvin[/name] the best… as well as the ones I came up with. Popular names aren’t a good idea because there’s bound to be someone famous named [name]Thomas[/name] [name]Fox[/name], [name]Robert[/name] [name]Fox[/name] or [name]Patrick[/name] [name]Fox[/name] since it’s a rather common last name. I’m not looking for totally out-there names like beebear suggested either.

Hopefully those ones I like will give people some ideas for more, because even though they’re really fitting, I’m not sure if they’re his name.

[name_m]Callum[/name_m] [name_m]Fox[/name_m], maybe?