Hanora or Hanorah?

So I think I’ve decided on an Irish girl name - Hanorah. But I can’t decide which spelling to do! The name appears in my family tree as Hanorah and later again as Hanora. I believe the proper way to spell it is Hanorah. Which spelling would you go with?

Hmm I usually tend to prefer the original spelling of names but I really love the Hanora spelling in this case!

Hanorah is fascinating! [name_m]Can[/name_m] you tell me more about her origins such as meaning/related names/etc.? I’ve never seen it before! I like the simplicity of Hanora but Hanorah is also very cool and gives off an almost Hebrew vibe to me?

Good luck!

From what I can tell it’s an anglicized variation of [name_f]Onora[/name_f]? so Hanora would be closer to the original spelling if that’s the one you prefer. It’s a beautiful name!

I was also thinking it was a Hebrew name, like an above commenter. Heh.

I think whichever you find more visually pleasing and more enjoyable to write out on paper is the one you should go with.

Related thought : Hannorah / Hanorrah would make the placement of the emphasis clearer.

I’d go with Hanorah!

I prefer the cleaner look of Hanora, but both are nice :slight_smile:

I did a small search about them: Behind the Name lists Hanora as an Irish form of [name_f]Honora[/name_f] but no info about Hanorah; another site said both Hanora and Hanorah are anglicisations of [name_f]Onóra[/name_f] so I guess that means there isn’t a 100% default spelling in this case.

Although I usually prefer to do without the ‘h’, I do feel more drawn to Hanorah, visually speaking :).

It’s Irish! It means “honor”

1 Like

Interesting! Likely related to [name_f]Honora[/name_f] or [name_f]Annora[/name_f] maybe then? Either way, super lovely! I vote for Hanorah I think!

I prefer Hanora. It is lovely and unique!

Hanorah

I would go with Hanora.