Hard consonant sounds

In deciding names for our forthcoming girl, DW and I really love either [name]Sarah[/name] or [name]Nora[/name][h]. The only problem I see with these names is that our surname is similar to [name]Richards[/name] with R sounds on the back end of the first name and front end of the surname. Any thoughts on whether saying [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Richards[/name] aloud sounds to R-heavy? Or has anyone had similar surname issues? Thanks.

I think it’s fine, and here’s why. Repeating the consonant once is OK; and as long as the ending syllable of the first name (RAH) is different from the starting syllable of the surname (RI) it won’t sound repetitious, like a stutter. [name]Omari[/name] [name]Richards[/name] wouldn’t works; [name]Rory[/name] [name]Richards[/name] wouldn’t work, but [name]Sarah[/name]/[name]Norah[/name] [name]Richards[/name] is fine.

We don’t really think it’ll be an issue; as blade pointed out it’s not too repetitive or overly alliterated. [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Richards[/name] or [name]Norah[/name] [name]Richards[/name] sounds fine.

I generally never have a problem with repetitive consonants across names, (in fact I’m a big fan of alliteration,) with the exception of R. R’s are difficult to say for more people than you might think. For some people, saying that many r’s in a row can be very difficult. For others, although they can say it, it doesn’t roll off the tongue very smoothly.

That being said, if those are the 2 names you’re set on, there doesn’t seem to be much you can do! I understand loving a name, and if the pronunciation isn’t a problem for you, then you should probably go for it. If you’re already having major concerns, it may be worth rethinking. I personally wouldn’t do it. On that same note, I knew a girl whose real name was actually [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Richards[/name], and I never thought of it as a problem until you brought it up!

[name]Both[/name] [name]Sarah[/name] and [name]Nora[/name] are lovely choices! (My vote is for [name]Nora[/name] if you end up using one.)

Thanks for the responses. I’m trying not to overthink the alliteration issue but it’s hard not to look for every potential fault in a name. My wife’s name is [name]Margaret[/name] so we had a similar conversation when we got married and she took my last name (-rit [name]Rich[/name]-). I had an issue with slurring my speech when I was younger so enunciation issues are on my mind a lot lately. We’re not dead-set on these names but their the one’s DW and I most agree on. Still have a couple months to decide though.

I think they sound great!