Harry should be his name said Pop

My DH (Pop) must have been around me too long because he just said out of the blue that our DD’s future son should be named [name]Harry[/name] [name]Peter[/name]!

I nearly fell off the chair in surprise, so DD has now another name combo to think about for her little bean.

Please give me your opinion of this classic English name.

I don’t really care for [name]Harry[/name] - bad connotation with another kid I used to know and I just don’t think it sounds elegant and handsome. However, I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Henry[/name]. What about [name]Henry[/name] [name]Peter[/name] with the nickname of [name]Harry[/name] if your DH so desires to call your daughter’s baby that?

As much as I adore the name [name]Peter[/name], in the distant past it was slang for a certain part of the male anatomy. If a baby boy had the name [name]Harry[/name] [name]Peter[/name] or [name]Henry[/name] nn [name]Harry[/name] [name]Peter[/name], most older people would snicker.

The first thing that I thought of was [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]. The name [name]Harry[/name] [name]Peter[/name] is awfully close. If your daughter does not have a problem with that, then no big deal. I think that it is a nice name, but I would just be aware of the close association with [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name].

This is exactly my first thought…

This is exactly my first thought…[/quote]

Mine too. I thought of it immediately (and misunderstood at first why you fell out of your chair). It’s a good fake name to use when crank-calling [name]Moe[/name]'s [name]Bar[/name] and asking if anyone has seen him.

This is exactly my first thought…[/quote]

Mine too. I thought of it immediately (and misunderstood at first why you fell out of your chair). It’s a good fake name to use when crank-calling [name]Moe[/name]'s [name]Bar[/name] and asking if anyone has seen him.[/quote]

I think I must live in a cave because I am not aware of that term, and I suppose you are hearing Hurry [name]Peter[/name] instead of [name]Harry[/name] [name]Peter[/name], if so could that be an accent difference from country to country or is it so obvious a teasing point that it would get a snicker anywhere?

That cave I am in is pretty remote because I don’t understand [name]Karen[/name]'s phrase “crank calling in [name]Moe[/name]'s bar and asking if anyone has seen him” Sorry to be so dense.

I really appreciate your feedback though.

I prefer [name]Henry[/name] [name]Peter[/name] or [name]Harrison[/name] [name]Peter[/name] :slight_smile:

I think [name]Harry[/name] is fantastic but I wouldn’t pair it with [name]Peter[/name]. [name]Love[/name] that your DH is getting involved!

That cave I am in is pretty remote because I don’t understand [name]Karen[/name]'s phrase “crank calling in [name]Moe[/name]'s bar and asking if anyone has seen him” Sorry to be so dense.

I really appreciate your feedback though.[/quote]

It’s from the Simpsons - [name]Bart[/name] the lil hellion calls [name]Moe[/name] and asks for “[name]Amanda[/name] Kissinhug” and such - [name]Moe[/name] always falls for it :smiley:

I agree – it’s cute, but [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] is very, very close

[name]Amelie[/name] thanks for the input. You can tell who doesn’t watch [name]Simpson[/name]'s can’t you?

However, now I have a saying ‘that is a [name]Bart[/name] [name]Simpson[/name] sky’. On The [name]Simpson[/name]'s TV show they show a lovely blue sky and fluffy clouds sailing by, and now, for me any sky like that I call a [name]Bart[/name] [name]Simpson[/name] sky.

[quote=“rollo”][quote=“karen”]
I, too, thought immediately of the male anatomy when I read [name]Harry[/name] [name]Peter[/name].

[name]Rollo[/name], I’m not sure if you’re confused about the slang term or the pronunciation. I’m pretty sure we’re all pronouncing [name]Harry[/name] the same way (Hare-ee, like the word hairy), which is where the “hairy peter” problem arises. :frowning:

I love both names, [name]Harry[/name] and [name]Peter[/name], but not together.

I hope your daughter is doing well!

[name]Jill[/name], in Australia we don’t pronounce [name]Harry[/name] as Hare ee the emphasis on is on the ree sound.

Ha (a short sound) followed by [name]Ree[/name] a long sound, so we don’t get the hairy sound.

Hare would be like air which is a long sound, so we do say it differently, but after the explanation I can see why one wouldn’t like to pair the two together.

Thanks for explaining, [name]Rollo[/name]! :slight_smile: