Has anyone changed their name in a family that has matching initials?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone! I’ve always disliked my name and am planning on changing it. [name_f]My[/name_f] immediate family, between my parents, siblings, and I, all have names starting with the same letter. I tried to look for new names starting with the same letter, but I either don’t like them, or they’re too close to family members’ names. There aren’t a lot of names starting with this letter in general.

[name_f]My[/name_f] #1 name starts with a different letter, and I really want to use it, but I feel kinda bad for breaking the matching initials. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom was pretty understanding about it, my dad said it was ok but he seemed a bit bummed. Then there’s the rest of my extended family, who I know will judge for picking a totally different name.

I feel a bit torn on what to do. Has anyone here been in a similar situation? If so, how did it go? Thanks!

I have a friend who changed their name from an M name (shared with four siblings and both parents) to an A name and I don’t think anyone noticed or cared in the family unit themselves, and every one around them has been pretty great about just calling them by the new name. I also have a cousin who is in a similar initial-sharing sibset who has always gone by a nickname starting with a separate initial (something like [name_m]Elias[/name_m], [name_m]Evan[/name_m], [name_m]Eugene[/name_m], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Estelle[/name_f], and [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] “Teddy” who is always [name_m]Teddy[/name_m] and only “officially” Edmund) and I don’t think anyone has ever noticed except me

And, to be fair, once you’re all adults and you and/or your siblings all have families of your own it’s really not going to be as noticeable or even really matter, as you’re not a sibling unit in the same sense any more. If it doesn’t bother you to be left out, then go with the name you feel most comfortable with. You’re the one who has to wear the name after all, not your parents or siblings, and frankly others might be judgemental about a name change in general, so you may as well go with what you really want to be called

If you have a favorite you are all set. That is the toughest part. I would go for a same letter middle though.

I’d choose the one that you like best :heart: your mum is happy about it, you dad will probably come round and get used to it, and hopefully the extended family will too. [name_f]Remember[/name_f], this is your name - what makes you comfortable :slight_smile: