Has anyone heard of...Airley?

I was on Pinterest, looking at name-related things, and saw a post with this name although, this spelling was given as an alternative. The first-listed spelling as “Airlie”, but that looks weird. According to the post, it is a name that means eagle in Scottish and promise in Irish. I have no knowledge of either language/culture so this could just be a bunch of bunk, for all I know. I did a quick Nameberry and Google search, but can’t really find anything on it. This is why I’m asking you all, lol.

Thoughts on it, btw? I actually like the sound of it. It does strike me as a slightly kree8tiv, trendy name, but it just really grew on me. I also like the alleged meanings of it. I could only really see it as a middle name, but still.

Thanks!

It’s the name of a beach in Queensland… so that’s all I can think off! Puts me off a bit. Not that it’s an awful connection… just makes me think of tourists, surfers, stereotypes.

I know a girl about 16 years old named Airlie. I think it’s quite pretty and unique :). I prefer Airlie over Airley in all honesty.

I know a 30+ year old called Airlie, I love it. I have Airlie [name_f]Laetitia[/name_f] on my longlist. It means promise according to my notes. I’m not as much of a fan of Airley, that looks made up to me because I’ve known Airlie for 5 years-ish but I think it’s really pretty.

@mummacat92: I’m not familiar with that location, honestly. I respect your perspective on it, though, and have seen similar positions on other place names. Definitely a point there.

@musicwaves: Oh, cool! As far as the spelling, I’m still debating on it myself lol. Airlie does look a bit better than Airley, but I think it’s hard for me to picture any spelling as being “the one” since I haven’t heard it before.

@kizzy_delgado: Airlie [name_f]Laetitia[/name_f] is beautiful! It’s cool to hear of an “older” Airlie…it honestly strikes me as a name that would be used more today than decades ago.

My husband has a 1 year old cousin named Airlie; I prefer that spelling. I hadn’t heard of it before she was born.

I found these; perhaps they will be helpful. In my experience, [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Names Pedia has the most extensive online database of names, though the pronunciation keys are not always entirely accurate. Meanings can usually be cross-referenced as correct about 90% of the time, but sometimes there seem to be a few errors in meaning.

I consider Behind the Name the “gold standard” in etymological meaning and history, but Airlie is only included as a user-added (unconfirmed) entry.