Hawaiian middle names.......

im thinking of naming my baby [name]Daphne[/name] (first name)…the middle name will be hawaiian because its a tradition in my family to have hawaiian middle names and i’d like to continue it… What name do you think flows best with [name]Daphne[/name]? i was thinking of giving her my own middle name Kanani but im not sure. here is a list of a few hawaiian names i like but new suggestions are very welcome! my sons name is [name]Alexander[/name] Ikaika if that helps

[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Noelani[/name]

[name]Daphne[/name] Kanani

[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Anela[/name]

[name]Daphne[/name] Kekoa

note:: although [name]Leilani[/name] is a beautiful name i dont want to use it because its too common…in hawaii its like a filler name almost

[quote=“nani1984”]im thinking of naming my baby [name]Daphne[/name] (first name)…the middle name will be hawaiian because its a tradition in my family to have hawaiian middle names and i’d like to continue it… What name do you think flows best with [name]Daphne[/name]? i was thinking of giving her my own middle name Kanani but im not sure. here is a list of a few hawaiian names i like but new suggestions are very welcome! my sons name is [name]Alexander[/name] Ikaika if that helps

[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Noelani[/name]: I think both names are beautiful, but I think I’d go with a middle name that doesn’t begin with an N due to [name]Daphne[/name] ending in a “nee” sound. (It also ends in [name]Daphne[/name]'s Nee sound.)

[name]Daphne[/name] Kanani: I think both names are lovely, but I’d personally avoid a middle name that ends in a nee sound like [name]Daphne[/name].

[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Anela[/name]: I really like the sound of this, but am wondering if it will be mispronounced as “anal-a.” That wouldn’t be good. I think it’s beautiful, though, and am pronouning it like a-[name]NELL[/name]-a. Is this correct?

[name]Daphne[/name] Kekoa: I think this is beautiful, too, but if it’s pronounced like kee-koa, I think it may be a bit eee heavy with [name]Daphnee[/name] Kee… I’m hoping it’s pronounced keh-koa, because I really love it with [name]Daphne[/name]. :slight_smile:

From your list, I’m voting for [name]Daphne[/name] Kekoa, if it’s pronounced Keh-koa (I’m really sorry I’m not sure about the pronunciation…), with [name]Daphne[/name] [name]Anela[/name] in second place.

I found a list of Hawaiian baby names, and thought these were beautiful with [name]Daphne[/name]:

[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Milana[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name] Maliana
[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Malu[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name] Rosabela (I love this!) :slight_smile:

Granted, these may be terribly out of style (I’m not familiar with many Hawaiian names, unfortunately), but I thought I’d just put them out there anyway. :slight_smile:

I really love your choice of [name]Daphne[/name]!

Good luck!

YAY!!! A thread about Hawaiian names!!! Oh my gosh, I am so excited haha. I’m curious though, do you have Hawaiian roots or does your family just like the names? I’m only asking because I used to live in [name]Hawaii[/name] and really want to give my daughter a Hawaiian fn or mn, but worry about it being ill-received given that I am not Hawaiian (although everyone who knows me knows how special [name]Hawaii[/name] is to me), so I was curious what your situation is. Anyway, back to the names… I love [name]Leilani[/name], but understand not wanting to use it.

I love [name]Noelani[/name], but not so much with [name]Daphne[/name]. However, I do love [name]Anela[/name] and Kekoa, especially Kekoa! Although, I just saw somewhere that Kekoa is traditionally male. That may not bother you (or that information may not be correct) but just thought I’d say something in case you didn’t realize that. Some other suggestions…

[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Leia[/name] (means heavenly child, similar to [name]Leilani[/name]'s beauty, but perhaps not as popular)
[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Malia[/name] (muh-lee-uh)
[name]Daphne[/name] Kalei/[name]Kalea[/name]/[name]Kalena[/name] (kuh-lay/Kuh-ley-uh/kuh-lee-nuh… at least I think)
[name]Daphne[/name] Kamalei (means beloved child)…(I think it’s Kah-mah-lay)
[name]Daphne[/name] Makana (means gift) (muh-kah-nuh)
[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Alana[/name] (uh-lah-nuh)
[name]Daphne[/name] Keala (keh-ah-luh)

unfortunately, a lot of (beautiful) Hawaiian names end in ‘lani’ and I think that’s too much ee sound with [name]Daphne[/name] (a little sing-songy). Good luck, keep us posted, please!

I love the name [name]Daphne[/name] by the way!

From the names you listed

I really like [name]Daphne[/name] [name]Anela[/name] & [name]Daphne[/name] Kekoa I love [name]Noelani[/name] as a first name.

What about -

[name]Daphne[/name] Kamea
[name]Daphne[/name] Mahina
[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Olina[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name] Ulani
[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Luana[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name] Keona

YAY!!! A thread about Hawaiian names!!! Oh my gosh, I am so excited haha. I’m curious though, do you have Hawaiian roots or does your family just like the names? I’m only asking because I used to live in [name]Hawaii[/name] and really want to give my daughter a Hawaiian fn or mn, but worry about it being ill-received given that I am not Hawaiian (although everyone who knows me knows how special [name]Hawaii[/name] is to me), so I was curious what your situation is. Anyway, back to the names… I love [name]Leilani[/name], but understand not wanting to use it.

I love [name]Noelani[/name], but not so much with [name]Daphne[/name]. However, I do love [name]Anela[/name] and Kekoa, especially Kekoa! Although, I just saw somewhere that Kekoa is traditionally male. That may not bother you (or that information may not be correct) but just thought I’d say something in case you didn’t realize that. Some other suggestions…

[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Leia[/name] (means heavenly child, similar to [name]Leilani[/name]'s beauty, but perhaps not as popular)
[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Malia[/name] (muh-lee-uh)
[name]Daphne[/name] Kalei/[name]Kalea[/name]/[name]Kalena[/name] (kuh-lay/Kuh-ley-uh/kuh-lee-nuh… at least I think)
[name]Daphne[/name] Kamalei (means beloved child)…(I think it’s Kah-mah-lay)
[name]Daphne[/name] Makana (means gift) (muh-kah-nuh)
[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Alana[/name] (uh-lah-nuh)
[name]Daphne[/name] Keala (keh-ah-luh)

unfortunately, a lot of (beautiful) Hawaiian names end in ‘lani’ and I think that’s too much ee sound with [name]Daphne[/name] (a little sing-songy). Good luck, keep us posted, please![/quote]

yes im hawaiian & filipino on my dads side and irish american on my mothers…but grew up mostly w/ the hawaiian culture…i think you should use a hawaiian name for your baby if you love the name & culture! i actually knew a very nice german couple at one of the bases we were stationed at and they had been stationed in hawaii for a few years and had their daughter there. they named her leilani and i thought it was cute to carry that piece of hawaii with her. the name suited her perfectly…thank you so much for your input… Kekoa is my favorite so far since it doesnt have any n’s in it that clash w/ daphne and it means strong in hawaiian…but its my brothers mn and cousins fn so i think my family will thinks its weird…so i dunno still lol

[name]How[/name] about [name]Daphne[/name] [name]Kiana[/name]? [name]Kiana[/name] is both Hawaaian and Irish and fits your heritage perfectly. It also sounds great with [name]Daphne[/name].

I’m not sure if you’re still checking this thread, but I just wanted to let you know that [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] just posted a blog about Hawaiian names.

Take care! :slight_smile:

So…maybe stupid…but what about Aloha?

daphne anela is very beautiful!