Haydn

Thoughts on [name_u]Haydn[/name_u]?

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it would age well? (DH and I have doubts about that)

[name_m]Will[/name_m] it be confused with and pronounced like [name_u]Hayden[/name_u] a lot?*
Would that be a deal breaker for you?

*([name_u]Haydn[/name_u] is pr. [name_f]Hye[/name_f]-den, unlike [name_u]Hayden[/name_u].)

I just thought you misspelled [name_u]Hayden[/name_u] to be honest. Maybe consider the spelling Hyden to make the pronunciation clear? Or stick with [name_m]Hyde[/name_m]? Handsome name, though.

I would have pronounced it like [name_u]Hayden[/name_u] to be honest (shame on me for not immediately connecting it to our Austrian composer :frowning: ).
I would also advise you to maybe use the Hyden spelling to make it more clear.

I think 99.9% of people will think it’s just a unique way of spelling [name_u]Hayden[/name_u]. If the pronunciation is supposed to be “hi-den” definitely spell it Hyden or Hiden. It’s a name I’ve never heard before. I think it ages fine but there is no obvious nickname unless you call him “[name_m]Hi[/name_m]” which isn’t ideal for a young child.

I’m not a fan but if you do use it, please don’t change the spelling. It would lose all its musical goodness.

I understand that you are going for the composer, right? I think because [name_u]Hayden[/name_u] is so common that a lot of folks would misread the name. I think it is an awesome choice otherwise!

[name_m]Will[/name_m] people mispronounce it? Yes, just about everyone.

I am usually not one for butchering original spellings, but in this case, I think it would be kindest to the child to spell it Hyden. [name_u]Hayden[/name_u] is popular enough these days to ensure he would always be called Hay-den.

I studied music as a child so I know the pronunciation but most won’t. However, I don’t agree with changing the spelling. You shouldn’t have to dumb things down. Make them pronounce & spell it correctly. Besides, people hear your name more than they see it.

I think most people will mispronounce it and if you changed the spelling A) you would lose some of the meaning and B ) it will make it look rather like hymen at first glance. If you use it keep the original spelling.

I think you will always be correcting spelling and pronunciation unfortunately. If that doesn’t bother you and you are up for always educating people I think you could go for it, but I am always correcting spelling and pronunciation of my son’s name and it gets old. I had no idea it would get so wearisome.

I’m another with a musical background who immediately knew the pronunciation. I quite like it actually, but spelt Hyden it completely loses its appeal to me. Yes, you’ll probably have pronunciation issues, so depends whether that bothers you or not. If you decide that’s too much of a problem, it would be a great middle name :slight_smile:

I like [name_u]Haydn[/name_u] a lot! I’m familiar with the pronunciation, but I’m not sure I would be if I hadn’t taken piano since I was 5. I remember one of the girls I grew up with liked [name_u]Aja[/name_u] (like [name_f]Asia[/name_f]) and [name_u]Haydn[/name_u] were her favorite names when we were in high school–I remember really liking them both back then! I still think [name_u]Haydn[/name_u] is really cool, but I love classical music, and I love the tie to [name_m]Josef[/name_m] [name_u]Haydn[/name_u]. I’m not sure it’d be said right, but I think [name_f]Florina[/name_f] and [name_u]Haydn[/name_u] are really, really cool together!

I also thought you were trying to be uneek with [name_m]Haden[/name_m]. I like the sound if [name_f]Hye[/name_f] den. Anither spelling would probably be best.

Please change the spelling or please choose a different name. My entire life people have mispronounced my name and it got old very fast. When I became an adult and went into the workforce I started going by a shorter version of my name just to avoid confusion. It was so embarrassing to constantly correct people. I have decided to avoid this confusion and give my future children names that are fairly easy to pronounce and spell. 90% of people are not going to make the connection with the composer. When I first read it I thought it was a variation of [name_u]Hayden[/name_u]. Hyden is nice, though.

Hyden is a legitimate name, too, you know! :slight_smile: It isn’t just a unique spelling change…

I think it would absolutely get pronounced wrong. When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was really just going to be someone trying to get a rise out of the nameberry community, but I am glad I was proved wrong!

However, an even more negative thing for me would be that it means heathen in [name_m]German[/name_m]. I am not religious at all, and that would still be a deal breaker for me.

Whenever I see the name, I know how it’s supposed to be pronounced but I always end up saying it like [name_u]Hayden[/name_u]. I have no doubts that it would get mispronounced constantly and I also wouldn’t doubt if there are little [name_u]Haydn[/name_u]'s running around out there pronouncing it like [name_u]Hayden[/name_u] because their parents wanted a “unique” spelling of the name.

I thought it was “[name_u]Hayden[/name_u]”. I think people won’t pronounce it correctly.

I like your daughter’s name. We almost wear the same :slight_smile:

It’s pretty cool if you know the reference, but yeah, if I hadn’t had music classes as a kid I’d think it was a respelled version of [name_u]Hayden[/name_u]. I can’t see spelling it as Hiden or Hyden, either, but maybe that’s just me.