Hayes as a nickname for Harris?

We are expecting our second son this summer. Our first son is named [name_m]Desmond[/name_m] and we use his nickname [name_m]Des[/name_m] probably about just as much as we use his full name.

I like the name [name_m]Harris[/name_m] and think that the one syllable nickname [name_u]Hayes[/name_u] would be a nice complement to Desmond/Des.

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband says that [name_u]Hayes[/name_u] is not a nickname for [name_m]Harris[/name_m] … but who says it can’t be? I also like [name_u]Hayes[/name_u] as a name on its own, but my husband isn’t sure.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] partner’s name is [name_m]Harris[/name_m] and he’s never been called [name_u]Hayes[/name_u]. The only nickname that is related to his name is ‘Ris’. Personally, I think [name_u]Hayes[/name_u] is a bit of a push.

[name_u]Hayes[/name_u] and [name_m]Harris[/name_m] are great names! And [name_m]Harris[/name_m] nicknamed [name_u]Hayes[/name_u] definitely works. [name_m]Harris[/name_m] ‘Hayes’ and [name_m]Desmond[/name_m] ‘Des’ go great together!

1 Like

I mean, it could definitely be something that you call him at home, but I don’t see it sticking outside of you and your family. I prefer something a bit more intuitive like Ris. Maybe even Hal.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you particularly want a long name with nn? (I did, so I totally get it.) If not, I would say just name him [name_u]Hayes[/name_u]. It’s got the same surname-y feel and it’s a great name on its own. Personally, I think the most obvious nn for [name_m]Harris[/name_m] is [name_u]Harry[/name_u]. I wouldn’t think [name_u]Hayes[/name_u] at all.

It’s not an automatic nickname that will come naturally, but it might work when you ask people to call him that :slight_smile:

I don’t think it’s intuitive but it could work if you want it to