Hazel/Hattie

So, here’s my little “dilemma” :slight_smile:

I love the name [name]Hazel[/name], but I’d like for any potential name to have a nickname option to go with it - and “[name]Hazie[/name]” just doesn’t cut it for me.

I also absolutely love the name [name]Hattie[/name], but I wouldn’t want to saddle a little girl with the name [name]Harriet[/name] or [name]Henrietta[/name] just to be able to use the nickname [name]Hattie[/name], as I’m not a big fan of either of those.

[name]Do[/name] you think it would be a total stretch to give a little girl the name [name]Hazel[/name] but then use the nickname [name]Hattie[/name]? Would it seem completely contrived, or do you think it could fly?

And if the [name]Hazel[/name]/[name]Hattie[/name] combination is out, can you think of any other great nicknames for [name]Hazel[/name] or, alternatively, any other formal names that the [name]Hattie[/name] nickname could be used for?

Thanks a bunch :slight_smile:

I think [name]Hattie[/name] is a bit of stretch as a nickname for [name]Hazel[/name], but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it (though, I personally am a fan of nicknames that aren’t even related to the first name). Of course, if you name her [name]Hazel[/name] and she goes by [name]Hazel[/name] in school, etc., [name]Hattie[/name] is not a natural shortening, and she is likely to get [name]Haze[/name] and [name]Hazie[/name], so you should probably take this into serious consideration before committing to [name]Hazel[/name] as the first name. I think another nn option for [name]Hazel[/name] would be [name]Ella[/name], or [name]Zella[/name], based on the ending of the name, but again not necessarily the most natural, though I do think [name]Zella[/name] or [name]Zel[/name] could become attached to her name if she used that short form exclusively instead of [name]Haze[/name] as it is still connected to the full name in a way that [name]Hattie[/name] is not.

I think [name]Hazel[/name] is a v sweet name and [name]Hattie[/name] works fine as a nn. Having said that, you don’t really need to shorten [name]Hazel[/name] as it is only 2 syllables anyway.

Hmmmmm…That is a good point. A nickname that has the same number of syllables as the original name (and even more letters) does seem a bit strange. That pretty much convinces me that the [name]Hattie[/name]/[name]Hazel[/name] thing would not fly :frowning: .

I also really like the name [name]Lottie[/name], but I have the same dilemma with it that I did with [name]Hattie[/name]. The only “proper” names I can think of for [name]Lottie[/name] are [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Carlotta[/name]. [name]Charlotte[/name]'s waaay to popular and [name]Carlotta[/name] is just yuck (to my ears anyway)…

Can you all think of any other names that [name]Lottie[/name] could be a nickname for besides [name]Charlotte[/name]?

Thanks!

I have [name]Hazel[/name] on my list, but I would use the nn [name]Hallie[/name] instead. [name]Hattie[/name] isn’t bad though, but it does seem a bit of a stretch. What do you think of [name]Hallie[/name]?

Also, you could use a longer form of [name]Hazel[/name] like…

Hazella(nn could also be [name]Ella[/name])
Hazeline
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Lynne[/name]

I don’t think you could get [name]Hazel[/name] to become [name]Hattie[/name] very easily, especially since [name]Hazel[/name] doesn’t really need a nickname. Personally I really like [name]Harriet[/name] and I love [name]Hattie[/name]. The only way I think you could get [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Hattie[/name] is if:

A) You pick a middle name that works to be [name]Hattie[/name]. [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Harriet[/name] doesn’t really work for me, but I think [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Henrietta[/name] might. Then she could be [name]Hazel[/name], and you could call her [name]Hattie[/name], and she’d be able to explain to people where the nickname comes from. Alternatively you could use any name you like with [name]Harriet[/name] or [name]Henrietta[/name] as the middle and get the same effect.

B) Since [name]Hazel[/name] has the Ha- part already, if you pick a middle that starts with T you could possibly fashion [name]Hattie[/name] as a nickname from both her names combined. It might be hard to get it to stick, but at least you and your daughter would be able to explain to curious people how her name is [name]Hazel[/name], but her nickname is [name]Hattie[/name]. For example [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Tabitha[/name], Ha + T + generic nickname -ie = [name]Hattie[/name].

I really like [name]Hattie[/name], so if you really love it too I think it’s worth getting creative to get it. Although I really think you should reconsider [name]Harriet[/name]. I think it’s quite nice, although I agree [name]Henrietta[/name] is unthinkable as a first name.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I do like the sound of [name]Hallie[/name], but I can’t help but associate it with [name]Halle[/name] [name]Berry[/name], and for some reason that makes it unappealing to me (maybe because it’s such a high bar for a little girl to live up to appearance-wise).

I appreciate the [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Tabitha[/name] suggestion, and actually adore the name [name]Tabitha[/name]. I don’t even mind the “Bewitched” connection.

I could almost kick myself for not being willing to use [name]Harriet[/name]. I, personally, really like the name. I like the sound of it. I like the assocation with [name]Harriet[/name] the Spy. I like that it’s old-fashioned. But I just can’t get over the potential for teasing. Maybe it’s an unnecessary hang-up, but I just think that “Hairy [name]Harriet[/name]” and nicknames like that would make a girl such an easy target for bullies. :frowning:

I love [name]Harriet[/name] and don’t think it has any more potentional for bullying than any other name! A [name]Hazel[/name] could get “[name]Hazel[/name] Eyes” and things like that thrown at her but it’s still a beautiful name. As it’s been said before, if children want to pick on a child they can find something mean to associate with any name in the world unfortunately. My name is [name]Laura[/name] and I got teased for it as a child! ([name]Laura[/name] [name]Flora[/name], [name]Nora[/name] Batty etc).

I think [name]Harriet[/name]'s so lovely, and [name]Hattie[/name] is adorable. I know you probably wouldn’t want to use [name]Hattie[/name] on it’s own but just thought I’d mention that [name]Rachel[/name] Bilson (actress)'s little sister is called [name]Hattie[/name] (just [name]Hattie[/name] as far as I can tell) after their Great=Grandmother.

Good luck!

ive come to love both hattie and hazel recently tho its taken me a while to warm up to them. when i first read the topic i thought oh thats a lovely twin/sibset! but i dont think hattie would work well as a nn for hazel. sorry. hattie was originally on our short list this time around. i dont like harriet or henrietta for same reasons as you. [name]Hadley[/name] could also work if you dont like hattie as given name. if i were you, id pick one or the other and save the other one for a sister! :slight_smile: good luck!