Helia

I recently came across this name and was wondering what people thought of it. I would pronounce it HEL-ia not hel-IA. It is Greek and it means sun. It is the feminine form of [name]Helios[/name].

[name]Do[/name] you like it? I personally think it is really pretty but am curious what other berries think :slight_smile:

Some possible middle names could be [name]Helia[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] or [name]Helia[/name] [name]Imogen[/name].

I think it is ok, but pronunciation could be a problem. When I saw the title of your post, I thought the pronunciation would be [name]Ell[/name] - ia like [name]Helio[/name] Castroneves. I think many people (especially in [name]Texas[/name] with a lot of latinos) would think the H is silent. If you go with this name your daughter would always be spelling it and correcting other peoples pronunciation.

If it rhymes with [name]Celia[/name], then I think it’s lovely and has a wonderful meaning. I would be concerned about going with a pronunciation that has “hell” as the first syllable though. As with any unusual name, there would be some people who wouldn’t get it right on first pass, but there is nothing unintuitive about [name]Helia[/name] that would prevent people from quickly learning.

I actually know a girl named [name]Helia[/name], prn. HEL-ia. It suits her, and it has a lovely meaning, but it’s not really my style. [name]Helia[/name] [name]Imogen[/name] and [name]Helia[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] are both nice, and if you really like it then you should go for it. There’s nothing wrong with the name, imo… it’s just not my thing. :slight_smile:

There was a character on a TV show I watch named [name]Helia[/name]. On the show it was pronounced a bit differently by all the characters, though most said it like “HEY-lee-uh” or “HEL-ya/HEL-ee-uh”. I think it’s very pretty!

It sounds like Helium. For blowing up balloons.

This was my Spanish class name in high school! We pronounced it Eh-lee-ah. That was the first thing I thought of.
I can see its appeal, but it does look a lot like Helium in English.

There was a character on weeds names Heylia, which is pronounced Hail-ee-a or hail-ya i think it’s pretty much the same, though i like the spelling without the y better.

I think [name]Helia[/name] is beautiful. It has a nice sound to it. [name]Helio[/name] is nice as well.