Help! Baby Girl Name Dilemma

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone. I’m really stuck on my baby girl name and really need advice!

I love the name [name_f]Elara[/name_f]

Originally I found ‘Alara’ which means water fairy, I did my research and it really seems to resonate with me and my baby girl. It is Turkish and considered a Muslim name which is necessary.

However when changing spelling to [name_f]Elara[/name_f], I prefer this. But it does not say it has the same meaning? [name_m]Or[/name_m] does anyone know if it does? This one is Greek mythology and doesn’t really come up as Muslim but I don’t see why they are so different when they are pretty much the exact same sound? The meaning for this name is really important, I love the story behind the [name_f]Alara[/name_f] name and I wouldn’t want to lose that with changing spelling but whyyy to me [name_f]Elara[/name_f] should be the same?? I’m sure I found [name_f]Elara[/name_f] being water fairy at some point now I’ve lost what I seen this on. I can’t seem to find the exact meaning, it keeps showing Greek Mythology, sometimes moon, shining, star, im really unsure what exactly.

The other name I like is Eslina, does anyone have opinions on this one?

Other names I like (maybe for middle name or two middle names)

[name_f]Sapphira[/name_f]
[name_f]Gabriela[/name_f]
[name_f]Serenity[/name_f]
[name_f]Leila[/name_f]
[name_f]Liyana[/name_f]
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]

Suggestions welcome!

I’m also looking for a new surname!
If anyone can find something that fits and flows well with the first names

Thank you!

[name_m]Welcome[/name_m] to Nameberry!
[name_f]Elara[/name_f] and [name_f]Alara[/name_f] are beautiful names! From several different sources, it seems as though the meanings of [name_f]Elara[/name_f] include “hazelnut,” “spear shaft,” “cheerful,” or “light.” [name_f]Elara[/name_f] is also the name of one of Jupiter’s moons.
I think the reason why [name_f]Elara[/name_f] and [name_f]Alara[/name_f] have such different meanings is because they originate from such different places. If you love the meaning and the story of [name_f]Alara[/name_f] over that of [name_f]Elara[/name_f], I would just go with [name_f]Alara[/name_f] since they sound nearly the same (I pronounce [name_f]Alara[/name_f] as uh-LAHR-uh, but [name_f]Elara[/name_f] as ee-LAHR-uh).
I’ve never heard of Eslina but it sounds pretty! Others on your list that I enjoy are [name_f]Serenity[/name_f], [name_f]Leila[/name_f], and [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f].
A few suggestions…
[name_f]Rosetta[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucette[/name_f]
[name_f]Padme[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
[name_f]Iolanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleni[/name_f]
[name_f]Lyra[/name_f]
[name_f]Seren[/name_f]
[name_f]Elysia[/name_f]
[name_f]Circe[/name_f]
[name_f]Maeva[/name_f]
[name_f]Indira[/name_f]

2 Likes

They originate differently. [name_f]Alara[/name_f] suits your needs, it seems to me.

However, if you’re looking at other names on your list as real possibilities, then you could simply choose [name_f]Elara[/name_f]. Few would realize the snag if you’re unconvinced there’s a snag yourself.

I LOVE [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f].

1 Like

seconding this. I’d also pronounce them slightly differently too - el-lahr-uh or ee-lahr-uh and uh-lahr-uh. Changing the spelling, in this case, would change the meanings.

Eslina is pretty - distinctive and intriguing.

Eslina [name_f]Sapphira[/name_f] is nice!

1 Like

As the previous poster mentioned, the reason they don’t share the same meaning is because they come from very different source words and origins. I think [name_f]Alara[/name_f] with an A is beautiful and keeps with the meaning and history that you want. Changing the initial letter does change the name a bit for me, even though they sound very similar.

1 Like

[name_f]Elara[/name_f] and [name_f]Alara[/name_f] have different origins. Sometimes, a simple letter changes everything. For example, [name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_f]Iva[/name_f] and [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] have distinct origins and meanings.

If you love the meaning “water fairy”, you need to go with [name_f]Alara[/name_f]. It’s a beautiful name from Turkic Mythology.

[name_f]Elara[/name_f] is gorgeous as well, but it is indeed a greek name. It means “hazelnut” or “spear-shaft”. It’s the name of one of Jupiter’s moons.

1 Like

I think [name_f]Alara[/name_f] would work better for your requirements and because of the meaning. It’s a gorgeous choice and I’ll add some suggestions:

[name_f]Adara[/name_f]
[name_f]Ailana[/name_f]
[name_f]Aysel[/name_f]
[name_f]Aylin[/name_f]
[name_f]Dalila[/name_f]
[name_f]Esmeray[/name_f]
[name_f]Jalilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Kamilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Luluah[/name_f]
[name_f]Miray[/name_f]
[name_f]Nabila[/name_f]
[name_f]Nuray[/name_f]