Help! Baby name regret!

I posted on the forum earlier looking for advice on naming a brother for [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]. I had my heart set on using [name_f]Faye[/name_f] for a girl, which we very nearly used for both our first and second daughters. When we found out we were having a boy, the only names we both liked were the boy names that have been on our list since our first child was born, [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and [name_u]Emmett[/name_u]. But it felt like we couldn’t use either for different reasons.

When our son was born we took forever to decide on a name. I was not in a good place mental health wise and with all the post partum hormones, so under pressure to pick something, we decided on [name_m]Silas[/name_m] [name_u]Jude[/name_u] D€ [name_m]Young[/name_m], even though I was worried about how close it is to [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. I had liked the name for a long time and I didn’t want to regret not using it. But I had extreme anxiety over how close the names [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_m]Silas[/name_m] are and I avoided bringing the two of them out together for months. [name_f]My[/name_f] youngest daughter also had difficulty with the name because she cannot pronounce L. So she has called our son [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] for most of his life (she’s only recently gotten the hang of it). A number of family members have accidentally called him [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] on more than one occasion as well, which has only made my anxiety over the whole situation worse.

When my son was just a few months old, my husband also told me he doesn’t actually like the name [name_u]Jude[/name_u] as a middle name. I was gutted. I had wanted to pick a name we both liked equally, and regret that we used a name he doesn’t like. And if I was being honest I didn’t personally like the flow of the whole name together either. So I insisted we work on finding a new middle name. Months of conversation ensued, but we couldn’t make a decision. I think because I wasn’t feeling settled on the first name.

Looking back I wish we had just called our son [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] [name_u]John[/name_u]. At the time, I didn’t like the repeated initial and the fact that [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] is quite a bit more popular or that his first and last initials could be tease worthy. But I think I could have more easily dealt with these negative drawbacks. More so than feeling like I gave my eldest and youngest almost the same name.

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband actually suggested we change our sons name to [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] [name_m]Silas[/name_m] [name_u]John[/name_u] at around 6 or 7 months old. But I wasn’t 100% sure. I was worried about the embarrassment of telling family and friends. And worried I would regret letting go of a name that I loved. That maybe over time I would feel less anxious about it and fall back in love with the name [name_m]Silas[/name_m]. So we waited. And now it kind of feels like it’s too late. While I’ve mostly avoided using his name where possible, he’s [name_m]Silas[/name_m] to everyone else around him. It’s becoming harder to picture him with another name and I just feel terrible about the whole situation.

At this point, my husband and I have agreed that it would be best to make some kind of edit. And we’ve almost run out the clock as our son is 11 months old.

Our first thought is that we change his name to [name_m]Silas[/name_m] [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] [name_u]John[/name_u] D€ [name_m]Young[/name_m]. This way we include both of our boy names along with a family middle name. We could also potentially start calling him by his middle name, but if not, at least the name I would have used, [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] [name_u]John[/name_u], is included in his full name. I’m not usually a fan of double middle names, but this seems like the most logical solution.

Our second thought is to go back to the idea of [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] [name_m]Silas[/name_m] [name_u]John[/name_u] D€ [name_m]Young[/name_m], and either continue to use [name_m]Silas[/name_m] as his preferred name or switch to [name_u]Emmett[/name_u]. But I’m really not sure about this. This solution seems fraught with the most uncomfortable and awkward conversations.

The last idea is to leave his first name as [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and pair it with another family middle name, like [name_m]Silas[/name_m] [name_u]Robert[/name_u], or just a name we like that pairs nicely. The hope would be that eventually my feelings of name regret would get better, and that I can let go of the name [name_u]Emmett[/name_u].

Please help me! What should we do? I’ve been driving myself nutty over this for the last 10 months. I feel so much shame and guilt about the whole situation and I a. So worried about getting it wrong again, that it seems impossible to make a decision. I also feel a lot of pressure as this is most likely our last baby and I just can’t decide between [name_m]Silas[/name_m] and [name_u]Emmett[/name_u].

If you’re sure about loving [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] and you don’t like [name_m]Silas[/name_m] anymore I’d add [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] to the name, either as first or middle, he can always go by his middle. What’s your feeling now about [name_m]Silas[/name_m]? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you still like it?
What about [name_m]Silas[/name_m] [name_u]Emmett[/name_u]? You have both names you like, you’re just changing the middle name, and you can call him [name_u]Emmett[/name_u], I know people who started calling their kid by their middle when they were toddlers so it doesn’t seem like a big hassle

Normally I wouldn’t advocate for such a drastic change when you’re still feeling unsure, but if it’s so bad that you’ve been avoiding referring to your child by his first name or referring to him together with his sister, then I think taking [name_m]Silas[/name_m] out of the first name spot is your best bet. Mostly because, at 11 months, most people have become used to [name_m]Silas[/name_m], and they’re less likely to listen to “we changed his name to [name_m]Silas[/name_m] [name_u]Emmett[/name_u], and now we call him Emmett” than they are to listen to “we changed his name to [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] [name_m]Silas[/name_m] / [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] [name_m]Silas[/name_m] [name_u]John[/name_u], he goes by [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] now”.

I don’t think it’s “too late” to change it, but it’s nearing the point of being too late, so I’d really act sooner rather than later if I were you!

4 Likes

I’m going to second @tallemaja here.

I’d also suggest testing out out the name [name_u]Emmett[/name_u], to see how you feel and how he responds

At this age kids are starting to recognize their name, so I wouldnt get rid of [name_m]Silas[/name_m], which it dowsnt sound like you’re going to. But it does sound like adding [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] would be a good choice. I think either in the first or middle would be a great choice.

Oh gosh bless your heart this is such a tricky journey you’ve been on :orange_heart:

Naming is such a challenging decision to make and I feel as parents you feel an immense amount of pressure to nail their name it can be very overwhelming. This overwhelming ness is definitely not helped when you’re coping with poor mental health and postpartum hormones so I really feel for you.

I think [name_m]Silas[/name_m] is lovely a sweet vintage choice with lovely meanings ‘of the forest; prayed for’ and yes there are similarities in sound with [name_f]Iris[/name_f] but it’s not OTT. I know siblings that share very similar sounds for example I know brothers named Br0dy & C0dy! I feel [name_m]Silas[/name_m] & [name_f]Iris[/name_f] are on a different playing field in comparison to some sibling sets so I wouldn’t overthink this and allow it to result in you feeling embarrassed. I know you’ve been mulling over this for a long period of time however sometimes when we purely focus on negatives of a situation it can make us feel emotions that aren’t entirely accurate to the facts of what’s actually happening. Maybe try and focus on what you did originally love about [name_m]Silas[/name_m]. What made you love [name_m]Silas[/name_m] enough to bestow him onto your beautiful boy? I would really think back and ponder on the positive emotions you feel about [name_m]Silas[/name_m].

Moving onto [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] I think he’s a nice choice (personally prefer [name_m]Silas[/name_m] but that’s just my preference) and you seem to love this name so I wouldn’t let go of him. You clearly love [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] and I feel you have a perfect solution with having [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] as a middle name for [name_m]Silas[/name_m]. I think [name_m]Silas[/name_m] [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] [name_u]John[/name_u] is lovely and would include all your special names with no one being left behind.

Regarding changing his name as a whole this is so tricky. I think is an individualistic parental decision that because I’m not walking in your shoes I do not feel fully qualified to answer. However I’m going to answer it as if [name_m]Silas[/name_m] was my son and I was you using my own thoughts, emotions, experiences, knowledge essentially life journey to see whether it’ll help. But I need to state that I’m not you nor I have been on such a tough journey so please do not take this the wrong way. So anyways if [name_m]Silas[/name_m] was my 11 month old son I wouldn’t change his name. I think for me [name_m]Silas[/name_m] is too old for his name to be changed. Ultimately after six months old children recognise their name it becomes part of their identity so changing his name could be really confusing and hinder their development. I wouldn’t want to be my son through that. I also wouldn’t want to put my girls and the rest of the family through changing his name as they may also find it too much to get their heads around. If it was me I would actually switch the names around and little going with [name_m]Silas[/name_m] [name_u]John[/name_u] [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] then call him ‘SJ’. I think SJ is a brilliant nickname feels fun and has a cowboy edge to him takes away the slight rhyming issue with [name_f]Iris[/name_f] & [name_m]Silas[/name_m] whilst creating a name that I can identify with my son in a more positive light. SJ isn’t a far leap from [name_m]Silas[/name_m] so wouldn’t create major identity issues for my son/rest of the family and I still would have my lovely [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] [name_u]John[/name_u] but just switched around. So that’s what I would do. Nevertheless, this is such a huge decision and has been affecting you so enormously I think it’s only you who can make the final decision about going ahead with the name change. Maybe you and your partner should try talking it through with a therapist before fully committing to a name change.

Wishing you all the best

1 Like

This seems like its still a great option! It will probably be uncomfortable getting everyone used to it but its not a huge deal for them mostly just you! So don’t feel bad about it.

I also think giving him a nickname is an option. Si (like Cy) is pretty cool. SJ could also work. Neither sound too similar to Iris.

Whatever you choose is just a choice and all these names are great really. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself.

Hey, do you mind sharing what you did in the end?

We changed his name from Silas Jude to Silas Emmett John. I’d like to say I feel better about it than I do. We went back and forth on whether to start calling him by his middle name or continue calling him by his first name. I couldn’t decide and I was very worried about what other people would think and say. So people kept calling him Silas. I am happy his name has all of our special names in it now and I think we made the right choice taking Jude out of his name. But I’m still having a hard time with how close Iris and Silas are. I honestly just wish we started calling him Emmett when he was younger. I regret that we didn’t but it feels too late now. So I don’t know what to do about it. I wish there was a happier ending, but I’m still struggling.

2 Likes

I appreciate the update. Although I feel for you that you still feel some unease with your son’s name. [name_f]My[/name_f] only thought at this point is to start making an effort of calling him both names, [name_m]Silas[/name_m] [name_m]Emmett[/name_m]. This gives more differentiation from [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and can potentially lead to the possibility of [name_m]Emmett[/name_m] later down the road.

I wish you all the best!