HELP! Boy and girl names don’t match

Hi, I’ve been gone a while cause my life has been a little chaotic lately but I’m always checking out everyone’s posts
Today I’m coming to you with my dillema: my boy list and girl list don’t match
Here are some things to keep in mind about my naming process:

• I want an international name cause my plan is to live abroad for a few years and travel for a bit so I would like my kids names to be versatile
  • more importantly, I’m from Portugal and the spelling and pronounciation have to be clear in portuguese and I don’t want names that sound drastically different in English than they do in portuguese
  • I ideally don’t want repeated initials

Now my problem with my boy and girl lists

Here is my boy list:

• Indigo and Atlas are my favorite boy names and they check every box of mine (even have some cute nicknames which is a plus)… problem is I don’t find other boy names I love as much to add to this list and they don’t match my top girl names at all
  • next up we have Romeu and Jaime which I really like but are much more popular, don’t match with my favorites and aren’t as international
  • lastly we have Cosmo and Malakai which I think is only allowed in my country as Malachi, and even though I love this writing, the pronounciation isn’t clear for me like this. But I do think malakai could match my favorite boy names and is very international too. Also believe cosmo would match my top names very well but don’t know if I like it as much
  • forgot about Osiris, I think it fits well but I don’t know how I feel about it, do I love it or hate it??

Now my Girl list:

• I love Merces and Sancha but I don’t think they are very international, cause they have very portuguese pronounciations, and I do think they will become veryyyy popular in my country in the next few years (also don’t think they fit with my favorite boy names but they do romeu and jaime, and if we cross out my wanting for international names these could all for my criteria but still I’m not sure)
  • also love (and probably my favorites) Brigite, Arabela, Clotilde and Julieta which are my favorite girl names ever and I think they fit my criteria for names (except Arabela and Atlas have the same initial), but I don’t think they match my boy names AT ALL
  • lastly we have Caliope and Jorja, which I think Caliope fits the best with my two top boy names and jorja fits the best with malakai. And even though I love Caliope, I don’t think it is my favorite girl name but it’s the one that would fit the best

Do you have any girl name suggestions to match with indigo and atlas? any opinions on my dillema? other boy names suggestion that could also match my favorite boy names? Other boy names that could match my girl names? Any suggestions at all? Which out of these would you put together in sibsets?
How would you describe my taste in boy names and my taste in girl names?

P.s.: I’m sorry for the lengthy post, I got carried away

2 Likes

[name_f]Paloma[/name_f]

1 Like

girl names that match your boy names:

lavender
lilac
opal
wren

boy names that match your girl names:

bastian
inigo
prospero

1 Like

I love [name_f]Indigo[/name_f] & [name_m]Atlas[/name_m]! [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] is the number one girl name I think of that matches the vibe. [name_m]Griffin[/name_m] and [name_m]Orion[/name_m] are two other names I think of.

1 Like

I think is very cute but in Portugal it is considered an old name which I don’t think fits the vibe I’m going for

Unfortunately most of these don’t work in portuguese which is a bummer cause they are all so cute

Portuguese here! :wave:
I’m sorry, this is going to be a long reply… :sweat_smile:

Your style seems to me very modern and international when it comes to boys names, but very traditional Portuguese and old-fashioned when it comes to girls names.

[name_f]Indigo[/name_f], [name_m]Atlas[/name_m] and [name_m]Osiris[/name_m] are unique and adventurous. I think they work well in multiple languages. I also really like [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m]! It is on my list. Jaime’s pronounciation in [name_f]English[/name_f] and Portuguese is quite different, for example, and based on what you said, I think that will bother you. Unfortunately, most J names are difficult to use in these two languages. Of course, that may not be a question if you are considering moving to a country that speaks another language.
I adore Romeu! What about the spelling [name_m]Romeo[/name_m]? It looks more international. It is used in Romanian, [name_f]English[/name_f] and Italian. I think it is used in some Spanish-speaking countries too!
I think both [name_m]Malakai[/name_m] and [name_m]Malachi[/name_m] are allowed in Portugal, nowadays. The law says that even when the baby is born in Portugal and their parents are two Portuguese citizens, as long as there is another Portuguese person in the world with that name, the name will be accepted for everyone who wishes to register it.
I don’t know where you live, but in my area, a big percentage of the babies born nowadays are sons and daughters of immigrants. I frequently see babies named [name_m]Apollo[/name_m], [name_m]Luan[/name_m], [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], [name_m]Ravi[/name_m], [name_f]Athena[/name_f], [name_f]Kelly[/name_f], [name_m]Bryan[/name_m], [name_f]Yana[/name_f], [name_m]Gael[/name_m], [name_f]Mayara[/name_f], [name_m]Tymofiy[/name_m], [name_m]Diego[/name_m], [name_f]Ayla[/name_f], [name_m]Matteo[/name_m], [name_f]Deisy[/name_f], [name_f]Aisha[/name_f] and [name_m]Enzo[/name_m], for example. I can see [name_m]Malakai[/name_m] being used in Portugal, but [name_m]Malachi[/name_m] will be mispronounced a lot, I’m afraid.

[name_f]Sancha[/name_f] and Mercês are very traditional names, but they were forgotten in time and disappeared after the end of the monarchy, from my perspective. At least, I’ve never met anyone with those names and I work with dozens of people of different ages every week. I see the characteristics that they share with some popular choices like [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], [name_f]Madalena[/name_f], [name_f]Benedita[/name_f], [name_f]Matilde[/name_f] and [name_f]Leonor[/name_f]. However, I don’t see [name_f]Sancha[/name_f] and Merces returning to the spotlight. Perhaps they will reappear in some more traditional families and religious areas, but not at a national level. I can be absolutely wrong, of course. All it takes is a famous artist or character appearing on TV for the situation to change.
Some names that I see gaining popularity are [name_f]Teresa[/name_f], [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], [name_f]Helena[/name_f], [name_f]Teodora[/name_f], [name_f]Eduarda[/name_f], [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Manuela[/name_f], [name_f]Julia[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] / [name_f]Elisa[/name_f], [name_f]Heloisa[/name_f] / [name_f]Eloisa[/name_f] and [name_f]Celeste[/name_f]. Basically, traditional underused Portuguese names or Portuguese variants of names that are popular in other countries like [name_m]Brazil[/name_m], UK, Spain, [name_f]France[/name_f] or USA.
Caliope, [name_f]Julieta[/name_f] and [name_f]Arabela[/name_f] are amazing! I think they sound wonderful with [name_f]Indigo[/name_f] and [name_m]Atlas[/name_m].
[name_f]Clotilde[/name_f] may be usable outside Portugal because it sounds like a mix of [name_f]Chloé[/name_f] and Matilde/Matilda. However, I’m not the best person to answer to that. Similar to [name_f]Jorja[/name_f], you may also consider [name_f]Georgia[/name_f], [name_f]Georgina[/name_f] or [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f]. I think all the 4 options are good alternatives for you.

I don’t know were you are considering to live abroad. That may affect in many different ways the perception and usability of your favorite names.

Names recommendations for you:

Boys names

[name_m]Victor[/name_m]
[name_m]Helio[/name_m] or [name_m]Elio[/name_m]
[name_m]Augusto[/name_m] or [name_m]Augustus[/name_m]
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m]
[name_m]Antonio[/name_m]
[name_m]Clemente[/name_m]
[name_m]Ismael[/name_m]
[name_m]Maximo[/name_m]
[name_m]Nico[/name_m]
[name_m]Santiago[/name_m]
[name_m]Jorge[/name_m]
[name_m]Luciano[/name_m]
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]
[name_m]Mario[/name_m]
[name_m]Adrian[/name_m]
[name_m]Valentino[/name_m]
[name_m]Delfino[/name_m]
[name_m]Ruben[/name_m]
[name_m]Sabino[/name_m]
[name_m]Orlando[/name_m]
[name_m]Igor[/name_m]
[name_m]Joel[/name_m]
[name_m]Marco[/name_m] or [name_m]Marcos[/name_m] or [name_m]Marcus[/name_m]
[name_m]Baltazar[/name_m]
[name_m]Cassio[/name_m]
[name_m]Edgar[/name_m]
Avelino
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Ciro[/name_m]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m]
[name_m]Julian[/name_m] or [name_m]Juliano[/name_m]
[name_m]Martin[/name_m]
[name_m]Alexandre[/name_m]
[name_m]Maximilian[/name_m]
[name_m]Emilio[/name_m]
[name_m]Isidoro[/name_m]
[name_f]Rio[/name_f]
[name_m]Amadeus[/name_m]
[name_m]Camilo[/name_m]
[name_m]Daniel[/name_m] or [name_m]Danilo[/name_m]
[name_m]Elias[/name_m]
[name_m]Cruz[/name_m]
[name_m]Ivan[/name_m]
[name_m]Marcel[/name_m]
[name_f]Azul[/name_f]
[name_m]Lino[/name_m]
[name_m]Angelo[/name_m]
[name_m]David[/name_m]
[name_m]Manuel[/name_m] or [name_m]Emanuel[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Nestor[/name_m]
[name_m]Octavio[/name_m]
[name_m]Rafael[/name_m]
[name_m]Sol[/name_m]
[name_m]Adonis[/name_m]
[name_m]Dario[/name_m]
Arthur/Artur
[name_m]Silvio[/name_m]

Girls names

[name_f]Susana[/name_f]
[name_f]Luisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Irene[/name_f]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f] or [name_f]Evelina[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicia[/name_f]
[name_f]Celina[/name_f]
[name_f]Jordana[/name_f]
[name_f]Delfina[/name_f]
[name_f]Amara[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Bia[/name_f] or [name_f]Bea[/name_f]
[name_f]Lidia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lourdes[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsa[/name_f]
[name_f]Miriam[/name_f]
[name_f]Larissa[/name_f] or [name_f]Lara[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] or [name_f]Adelina[/name_f]
[name_f]Barbara[/name_f]
[name_f]Paula[/name_f]
[name_f]Cassia[/name_f] or [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Amalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f]
[name_f]Simone[/name_f]
[name_f]Josefina[/name_f] or [name_f]Josefa[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Dina[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Filomena[/name_f]
[name_f]Tania[/name_f] or [name_f]Tatiana[/name_f]
[name_f]Noemi[/name_f]
[name_f]Olga[/name_f]
[name_f]Regina[/name_f]
[name_f]Telma[/name_f]
[name_f]Amora[/name_f]
[name_f]Laura[/name_f]
Betania
[name_f]Cristina[/name_f] or [name_f]Cristiana[/name_f]
[name_f]Dalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Estela[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonora[/name_f] or [name_f]Leona[/name_f]
[name_f]Anabela[/name_f]
[name_f]Vanessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Otilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Adriana[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabete[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucinda[/name_f]
[name_f]Gloria[/name_f]
[name_f]Olinda[/name_f]
[name_f]Marta[/name_f] or [name_f]Martina[/name_f]
[name_f]Luana[/name_f]
[name_f]Flavia[/name_f]
[name_f]Aline[/name_f]
[name_f]Vivian[/name_f]
[name_f]Gaia[/name_f]
[name_f]Augusta[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliana[/name_f] or [name_f]Eliane[/name_f]
[name_f]Veronica[/name_f]
[name_f]Dulce[/name_f]
[name_f]Clarisse[/name_f]
[name_f]Lena[/name_f]
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] or [name_f]Alexandrina[/name_f]
[name_f]Natalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Dora[/name_f]
[name_f]Magda[/name_f]
[name_f]Liana[/name_f]
[name_f]Helga[/name_f]
[name_f]Apolonia[/name_f]
[name_f]Bianca[/name_f]
[name_f]Mara[/name_f]
[name_f]Calista[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosa[/name_f]
[name_f]Natasha[/name_f]
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Anita[/name_f]

1 Like

Firstly welcome back, and secondly thanks for introducing me to Romeu! What a fun, cool name.

[name_f]My[/name_f] main suggestion would be to use the names you love best without worrying about whether the boys and girl names match in style. I think [name_f]Indigo[/name_f], [name_m]Atlas[/name_m] and [name_f]Clotilde[/name_f] or [name_f]Indigo[/name_f] and [name_f]Julieta[/name_f] are amazing sibsets. Not perfectly matched, but the perfect blend of individual yet cohesive.

I might call yours boys something like romantic bohemian while the girls would be more international yet recognizable.

I don’t know much of anything about Portugal, but will try to keep it in mind on suggestions!

I literally love every name on your boy list. It’s very aligned with my style actually.
I do love Merces and [name_f]Sancha[/name_f] too.

One idea would be to use names that you are ok with the Portuguese and [name_f]English[/name_f] pronunciations of. Ie [name_f]Sancha[/name_f], would you be ok with people pronouncing it differently abroad? [name_m]Or[/name_m] would that bother you too much. I do think Romeu would be fairly enforceable once you introduced people to the correct pronunciation.

I wonder for girls if you might like [name_f]Romi[/name_f], [name_f]Roma[/name_f], [name_f]Romana[/name_f], [name_m]Romari[/name_m], [name_f]Romula[/name_f]

[name_f]Magnolia[/name_f], [name_f]Coral[/name_f], [name_f]Calista[/name_f], [name_f]Gaia[/name_f], [name_f]Delta[/name_f], [name_f]Freya[/name_f] | [name_f]Freja[/name_f], [name_f]Salma[/name_f], [name_f]Vida[/name_f], [name_f]Simone[/name_f], [name_f]Cosma[/name_f]

For boys maybe [name_m]Everest[/name_m], [name_m]Florian[/name_m], [name_m]Lionel[/name_m], [name_m]Zeppelin[/name_m], [name_m]Ludo[/name_m], [name_m]Caio[/name_m], [name_m]Jairo[/name_m], [name_m]Orion[/name_m], [name_m]Nilo[/name_m], Remio, [name_m]Remus[/name_m], [name_m]Remo[/name_m], [name_m]Keanu[/name_m]

I know this is abit scattered, my apologies.

I think you have very eclectic taste!

[name_f]My[/name_f] first indication was to provide you with Portuguese names that worked well internationally

• [name_f]Camila[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Beatriz[/name_f]
  • Lucia/ [name_f]Luciana[/name_f]
  • [name_f]Rosana[/name_f]

-Marcus
-Cruz
-Arsenio
-Fillip
-Mateus

However knowing your favourite boy names are [name_m]Atlas[/name_m] and [name_f]Indigo[/name_f] I think the only name that works would be [name_m]Cruz[/name_m]
I think [name_m]Cosmo[/name_m] and [name_m]Malakai[/name_m] work well too !

As for your girls I wouldn’t bat an eye at siblings named [name_m]Atlas[/name_m] [name_f]Indigo[/name_f] [name_f]Merced[/name_f] and [name_f]Sancha[/name_f]

I think [name_m]Atlas[/name_m] and [name_f]Indigo[/name_f] match beautifully with [name_f]Sancha[/name_f], [name_f]Julieta[/name_f] and [name_f]Calliope[/name_f].

1 Like