Help - boys name needed!

We are due to have our second son in 3 weeks. 1st son is [name]Oliver[/name]. We have narrowed it down to a few but just not sure. Advice or opinions welcome. Our surname is Koch (pronounced Kosh) and sometimes gets pronounced Kock by well meaning [name]German[/name] friends so we have to be careful with firstnames.

Here are some options (with problems in brackets!):

[name]Angus[/name] (difficult to pronounce with the -s and -sh on the end?)
[name]Emmett[/name] (bad that it doesn’t have a shortening other than [name]Em[/name]?)
[name]Jasper[/name] (too trendy?, not great for adult male?)
[name]Finlay[/name] (-lay before our surname could create teasing?)

Advice and opinions welcome!

My most to least favourite:

• [name]Jasper[/name]
  • [name]Emmett[/name]
  • [name]Finlay[/name]
  • [name]Angus[/name]

And I would have to answer no to your questions. If you think [name]Jasper[/name] is too trendy, what about [name]Gaspard[/name], [name]Caspar[/name], or [name]Casper[/name]?

I love [name]Emmett[/name], and it sounds great with [name]Oliver[/name]. [name]Em[/name] does not have to be the only nickname for [name]Emmett[/name]. What about Ems, Mett, or Mitt? The other names are all nice too, but there seems to be the least number of serious “problems” that you listed with [name]Emmett[/name].

My two favorites were actually [name]Emmett[/name] and [name]Finlay[/name], until I read your full post! What about [name]Finley[/name] instead of [name]Finlay[/name]? I think that would get rid of the “lay” part. I like [name]Emmett[/name] but I agree that the [name]Em[/name] thing could be a problem. Have you considered [name]Everett[/name]? It has a similar feel, to me, anyway, and it has more masculine nns, like [name]Rhett[/name], Ev, or even [name]Ever[/name] (which some think is handsome for a boy… I like Ev and [name]Rhett[/name] better, personally).

With your LN, I like [name]Jasper[/name] the best–[name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Jasper[/name] are cute together, and I don’t foresee any problems with [name]Jasper[/name] Koch. My only problem with it is that [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Jasper[/name] both end in “er”–would that bother you? I think [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Finley[/name] or [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Everett[/name] would be great, though.

Good luck!

Thanks! I think I prefer [name]Jasper[/name] to [name]Casper[/name]… reminds me too much of the ghost, but [name]Jasper[/name] is ok for some reason!

Yes, we have considered [name]Finley[/name]… and are open to it… we aren’t a big fan of unisex names and I was worried after looking online that [name]Finley[/name] seems to be becoming a girls name too?

[name]Everett[/name] - I had a really weird Yr 7 science teacher with that name and it has put me off! But [name]Emmett[/name] is strong I think and I don’t really think its a problem that ‘[name]Em[/name]’ is the shortening… there can be many worse problems with our surname ha ha.

[name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Emmett[/name] sound nice?!

[name]Angus[/name] - I love this name. I don’t think the pronunciation is an issue.
[name]Emmett[/name]- Eh. I like it, but I don’t love it.
[name]Jasper[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name]
[name]Finlay[/name] - NMS

I love [name]Emmett[/name] with [name]Oliver[/name]! Not an [name]Angus[/name] fan at all. I think of the meat.

I think both [name]Jasper[/name] and [name]Emmett[/name] sound great with [name]Oliver[/name].
Heck you can combine them into [name]Jasper[/name] [name]Emmett[/name] Koch!

I like [name]Angus[/name] ( know a 13 [name]YO[/name] one and he likes his name). [name]Emmett[/name] is a friends name and people call him E.

I think [name]Angus[/name] and [name]Oliver[/name] sounds best.

I like [name]Emmett[/name] best from your list! I think you will come up with a good nick name for him. It doesn’t even have to be anything similar to his name :wink: I kinda like [name]Angus[/name] in a guilty pleasure sort of way, but I don’t think I could ever use it. [name]Jasper[/name] is nice, though maybe a bit popular for my taste. I do think it will age well though. It sounds very distinguished. I would avoid [name]Finlay[/name], both for the reasons you said and because his initials would be FK. I feel your pain! Our last name is [name]Cochran[/name] (pr. Cockran). It is hard to find names that work!

[name]Emmett[/name] sounds great with [name]Oliver[/name] and with your LN. If you feel like having a shortened version, maybe E with whatever his middle initial might be? “E-J” for example…

I love [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Emmett[/name] the best! What about [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Everett[/name]? It comes with neat nicknames [name]Ever[/name] & Rett!

[name]Ah[/name] thanks everyone. 2 weeks to go… my hubby likes [name]Angus[/name] the best and although it doesn’t roll with Koch the best, we think it’s a nice name that has that same old English feel as [name]Oliver[/name]. Plus we like the NN [name]Gus[/name], [name]Gussie[/name], so that’s cool.

Argh who would have thought it so hard?? [name]Hope[/name] if we have another it is a girl!!

[name]Will[/name] keep you posted. We are thinking [name]Angus[/name] [name]Bennett[/name] Koch, cause [name]Bennett[/name] means blessing :wink: