Help! Can't decide between these...

I wonder if anyone out there has tips on how to choose a name when one honestly cannot determine a favourite?

We are stuck on a choice between:

[name]Wolfgang[/name] (possibly Wolfram);
[name]Atticus[/name]; and,
[name]Fox[/name]

We honestly can’t decide between them - we adore them all! I’ve only got five weeks to go in this, my second, pregnancy and I’m starting to be truly bothered by the fact that I don’t have a preference…

Any help with techniques to choose will be gratefully received!

cheers,
A

I simply love [name]Atticus[/name]. [name]Wolfgang[/name] and [name]Fox[/name] are cool names too, but it would just warm my heart to meet a cute, little [name]Atticus[/name]! What are you thinking for middle name options?

If a friend of yours just called to tell you they had a baby and named them [name]Atticus[/name]/[name]Fox[/name]/[name]Wolfgang[/name], in which case would you be most upset?
What is your first child’s name? [name]Just[/name] off the cuff, I think I prefer [name]Atticus[/name].

Well, you could think about future girls names and what will sound best. Also you could think about other children you’re close with and try to pick one that’s the least similar. For instance, I try to avoid names with the same initial as my nieces and nephews. Oh, and have you picked middle names yet? That’s how I chose my sons name, we had it narrowed down to three or four names but had no clue which to choose. We went through endless combos of middle names, but the second I thought of it, we knew instantly. It seems like a lot of people have that moment where you just suddenly know. It just takes patience, which is annoying! Or you could always wait until he’s born and decide… Though I don’t have much faith in that method.

I like [name]Atticus[/name] the best and [name]Atticus[/name] [name]Fox[/name] sounds good imo.

I think Wolfram is the clear choice!
It’s my favorite of your list, and I love the name, but that’s not the only reason why I say this should be the name for you.
I think it’s the name that falls right in the middle of accomplishing everything you seem to want in a name. The fact that you have two names beginning with wolf and the name [name]Fox[/name] on your list suggest that you really like the idea of calling a little boy by one of these animal-inspired name (I do too!). The wolf and the fox are similar animals in many ways too - similar in looks to the more domesticated cats and dogs in a way that makes them almost cuddly and endearing, but at the same time dangerous and wild in a way that makes them mysterious and adventuresome, cuddly yet adventuresome being almost exactly how you would want to describe a little boy, but somehow fitting for most grown men too.
Anyway, after that long digression, I think you definitely want to keep one of these names to keep that animal-inspired name/nickname for your son. If you use [name]Atticus[/name], you lose that, so to me that makes [name]Atticus[/name] a clear loser here.
On the other hand, the fact that you like [name]Atticus[/name] suggests to me that you are also drawn toward traditional (albeit uncommon) names, and all the classic charm that comes along with them. This, to me, is why [name]Fox[/name] likewise won’t work for you. It’s just not a name-name in the estabished sense, and it invites a more modern-sounding vibe (due to the sharpness and brevity of its sound and the fact that is a surname) while losing much of the distinguished and genteel feel of the other names on your list.
That leaves [name]Wolfgang[/name] and Wolfram. I happen to think that even [name]Wolf[/name] alone could work, as, unlike [name]Fox[/name], it has a more solid history as a first name and sounds softer and more studious, but I love the idea of a longer version to give him more options and because I also think that when in doubt, a name with more heft and weight will usually feel warmer, which I think is part of what you’re going for.
As between [name]Wolfgang[/name] and Wolfram, I like both, but I think Wolfram has so much more elegance and style. [name]Wolfgang[/name] feels flashier, a bit more overdone, and its harsh ending invites him to almost always be called [name]Wolf[/name] by anyone who has met him more than once. Wolfram, on the other hand, is quietly unassuming, but strong and dignified. I could see a grown Wolfram being called Wolfram in a way that commands respect without being arrogant or in-your-face. Its the kind of name that makes me think of a person who is popular and well-liked wihtout being aggressive, someone who can stand in the corner and not push his way into the center of the room but will inevitably end up being in the center of the crowd anyway as people are drawn to the corner to be near him.

I actually really am liking [name]Fox[/name].

I know a little [name]Atticus[/name] and while it’s nice to look at and think about, it’s really annoying to say over and over and over again. He prefers going by his middle name (he just turned 5) but they call him [name]Atticus[/name] at school. There’s no real nickname and it’s just so harsh and awkward to say (over and over…). They actually chose it because they liked [name]Addison[/name] (whoa, much softer) but knew someone already with the name. Also, everyone assumes you just [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Atticus[/name] [name]Finch[/name] and To Kill a Mockingbird. To me, it just sounds pretentious without the right kind of badass backup (though, if you’re considering [name]Wolf[/name]-, you may just be pretty badass). It especially is pretentious if you like literature of any kind. It’s definitely a total hipster name now. Sorry.

I have Fawkes on my middle name list, so [name]Fox[/name] is definitely my choice.

[name]Wolfgang[/name] (I love [name]Wolf[/name]), [name]Atticus[/name] and [name]Fox[/name] are all such great names! Now is the time to be really fussy - which sounds best with your other child’s name? Which flows best with your surname? Also, try referring to the baby by each name for a couple of days, maybe even up to a week, just to see if you get weary of one name, or one particularly sticks as THE name.

Good luck! [name]Auburn[/name]

[name]Just[/name] my opinions…

My vote would be [name]Fox[/name]. To me, it sounds clever, cute but not cutesy and it is so different. I have never met a [name]Fox[/name]. It also appeals to me because it is a sexy, one syllable, tough guy name.

I know a baby named [name]Atticus[/name]. Whenever I hear it, I think of that prison riot where the prisoners chanted “ATTICA! ATTICA!” Was that in a movie?

I have an uncle named [name]Wolfgang[/name] (pronounced Vulf-gawng) in Germany. It sounds very [name]German[/name] to me. Which is not a bad thing but when I see it, I don’t think [name]Wolf[/name], I think “Vulf.” Oh, and then there’s Blitzer.

I like [name]Atticus[/name] [name]Fox[/name]

Golly, thanks for all the replies everyone! :lol:

Unfortunately the same problem remains: I read “[name]Atticus[/name] [name]Fox[/name]” and I think “ooh lovely” and then someone discusses ‘Wolfram’ and I think “Oh yes, definitely that one…” and then I look at “[name]Fox[/name]” and I’m torn again. It’s a nightmare! [name]How[/name] is it even possible that I honestly don’t have a preference??

Our daughter is named Tigerlily - clearly I do have a thing for names related to animals! :?

I like the name [name]Wolfgang[/name] best, [name]Atticus[/name] and [name]Fox[/name] are great too though.

I love Tigerlily and commend you on your boldness. However, if you were to use Wolfram I feel like you’d be setting up an animal theme. If you were to have another child would you want to give them another name with an “animal” style?