Help! I can't tell anymore!

I’m not a fan of [name]Claudia[/name]. I agree it sounds a little dated to me. However, i [name]Love[/name] [name]Claudie[/name] which imo gives it a fresh feel :slight_smile:

I like [name]Claudia[/name] a lot. The Spanish pronunciation, which I always think of, sounds like clouds, like cloud-ee-ah. So, for me anyway, the meaning is kind of like the sky. Although, I guess it wouldn’t hurt to have a cheerful middle!

1. I love [name]Claudia[/name]. It’s on my list. It doesn’t sound dated to me. Nowadays, the “ia” ending is “in” and honestly, I can’t think of a recent decade where [name]Claudia[/name] was that popular (it’s not like it dominated the 80’s). 2. I love to look at name meanings, but in the case of [name]Claudia[/name], I don’t think “lame” is really the most relevant point. The name has much stronger connections to real heroes/figures in history. It’s biblical, it’s a feminine version of a [name]Saint[/name]'s name, the named belonged to several [name]Roman[/name] emperors etc. There are plenty of positives to the association of the name. Actually one of the reasons it’s on my list is because our baby is due on the feast of St. [name]Claudio[/name].

I’d love to meet a little [name]Claudia[/name].

[name]Claudia[/name] - it’s not a favorite of mine, but it’s a decent name. It does not sound at all dated to any particular decade to me - certainly not to the 80s to 90s. I think it’s one of those names that has always been around but never extremely popular, so does not sound dated.

About the meaning of [name]Claudia[/name], lame/crippled/disabled or whatever - I really dont’ think it matters. Teh historical associations are more important. I doubt if the meaning has held back any of the Claudias out there (and I also don’t think most people know the meaning, or care). I have to admit, every time I see a [name]Claudia[/name] thread and people say they would not use it because of the meaning - I feel kind of uncomfortable - because I have a disabling condition - nothing anyone would choose, and it does suck- but it’s not a character flaw. I guess what I’m trying to say is that the perception of [name]Claudia[/name] as having a negative, sad meaning is kind of the way people with disabling conditions are perceived on a daily basis. A name that has a literal meaning of “graceful”, “beautiful flower” or “happy” is nice, but I don’t think it matters so much.

I am really personally not a fan of [name]Claudia[/name]… it sounds quite dated/a “mom” name to my ears, and I find the “clod” part of the name to be unattractive. :confused:

I think [name]Claudia[/name] is nice. It would probably be on my list if I could get past the meaning. I’ve met one [name]Claudia[/name] - she was a little girl. She had the cutest curly blond hair and blue eyes, so that’s what I picture a [name]Claudia[/name] looking like.

I really like [name]Claudia[/name] I think this is a very classy name! I say claw dee ah but still like the cloud ee ah version too.

rollo

I like [name]Claudia[/name], and the meaning isn’t a deal-breaker for me. As others have said, it’s a classic name that has been worn throughout history. Besides, being “crippled” or “lame” is not the worst thing that can happen to you, it simply means you have an obstacle to overcome! In my mind, that makes [name]Claudia[/name] a survivor, not disabled. :slight_smile:

I don’t think its dated and I really like it.

I agree, and this is also how I pronounce it. I’d consider it myself except my ex’s middle name was [name]Claude[/name], so it’s a little to close for comfort. I feel like [name]Claudia[/name] is an enigmatic, classical and almost mysyerious name - I like that most people have heard it and know it but you rarely meet one :slight_smile:

As a mom of a [name]Phoebe[/name], I can tell we absolutely have similar taste!
And I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Claudia[/name]! I have to tell you, if this helps, that I have been thinking of sibsets with “ph” in them: [name]Daphne[/name], [name]Stephanie[/name], [name]Delphine[/name] or “oe” in them: [name]Chloe[/name], [name]Zoe[/name], [name]Noel[/name] … Sometimes having a “theme” might help?
Then again, I just chose another name I had loved since a child: [name]Hadley[/name]. [name]Do[/name] they go so well together? Not really. But I love the name! And every time I see it written, I love it more.
Good luck!!

[name]Claudia[/name] sounds a little too dated whereas [name]Claire[/name] has a similar feel and I think better vibe.

Thanks for all the input, Berries! I posted this awhile ago, and Claudis has sort of fallen off my radar, but this brought it back to the front of my mind. I agree with most of you who like the fact that [name]Claudia[/name] is very familiar and yet extremely unusual.
Pickles, we must have similar taste! I love [name]Daphne[/name], especially, but I am one of those people who runs the other way at any hint of a theme! “Matchy” is the kiss of death for me, sometimes unfortunately!
Aubriannamorgan, the little bit of datedness is what makes [name]Claudia[/name] interesting to me, actually. It’s just enough out of step with fashion to be individual. [name]Claire[/name], while undeniably classy and elegant, is a bit of a snooze to me.