Help! I can't tell anymore!

I feel like I have looked at names so long that I have no judgement. So, [name]Claudia[/name]. Boring name that you heard relatively often in the 80’s and 90’s? Or classic, quirky, underused name that you would be excited to see on a little girl?

I think it’s a great choice! The only thing I don’t like is the meaning.

I dont think its bad, a little dated, I think [name]Claudiane[/name] is a nice alternative!

I’m just not a fan. I don’t really see the appeal. Also, it means “lame” wether or not it is the “lame” I’m thinking of, that’s what I think of.

Yeah, I don’t like it.
It seems dated to me, and i’d think it odd if I met a little [name]Claudia[/name]

I like it a lot. Might be slightly dated, but I don’t think it’s a bad thing. I would love to meet a little [name]Claudia[/name].

I think what you guys are missing the point. If I’m not mistaken phoebesmom is simply giving an example of her diminishing name selecting skills. She’s saying she can’t tell the good from the bad anymore because she’s spent so much time around the names they all have good and bad sides and she can’t dismiss any or absolutely love any anymore, sort of like how if you spent an hour straight smelling candles they’d all smell the same after awhile. Or maybe I’m just looking too hard into this, haha

Ferntail, I actually WAS asking about [name]Claudia[/name], but your description of name exhaustion is spot on. That is EXACTLY how I feel. Now that I am actually TTC, I am excited about literally no names. I don’t know how [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] do it!

I like [name]Claudia[/name]. It’s different without being too try-hard. She’ll be the only one in her class too, which is always a plus. I wouldn’t let the meaning get to you either, and if it does, just make sure her middle name means something really cheerful and uplifting! Good luck :slight_smile:

[name]Ah[/name], that makes sense then (I just re-read your first post and I do think I read it a bit wrong though, heheh). [name]Claudia[/name] is nice, I wasn’t meaning that it wasn’t by “example of her diminishing name selecting skills,” just to clear that up, haha. I think of it just like that, though, “nice”. I think it might be a little safe and a little outdated, but it is on the positive side of names. Maybe you could come up with a fresh version of it, or, as claireelise said, pick a cheery and fresh middle name.
Some fresher versions could be:
Claudea (Claw-day-uh or normal way)
Khladia
Khladea
Claudiet (Claw-dee-ay french-style spelling)

Thanks claireelise. Different without trying too hard is definitely the bullseye that I am aiming for.

My mother’s name is [name]Claudette[/name] (which also means lame/disabeled) and it has never been an issue for her. To be honest, I don’t think anyone has ever brought it to her attention and I’d be surprised if she even knew the meaning of her name.

I adore the name [name]Claudia[/name]. I met a girl named [name]Claudia[/name] who was 22 and she was an absolute doll. She was very delicate and sweet and the name grew on me instantly.

Personally, I don’t find the name dated at all. I think it would age quite well.

Thanks, froggie_luvah. I’m still not sure about [name]Claudia[/name], but most of the baby name sites describe [name]Claudia[/name] as aways being “neither in nor out.” The longer I think about names (it’s been almost 5 yrs since I got pregnant with [name]Phoebe[/name], and I’ve been naming her sibling ever since!), the more I like the idea of a name that’s outside of the trends. But at the same time, I don’t want one of the steadily classic, but common, names-[name]Claire[/name], [name]Katherine[/name], etc. I like that [name]Claudia[/name] could be any age…I don’t have an image of the typical [name]Claudia[/name] in my head, you know?

I find [name]Claudia[/name] to be quite obtuse sounding.

Here in Australia [name]Claudia[/name] is seldom heard, I think it is a beautiful name.

rollo

Obtuse. Hmm. If nothing else, I would peg a [name]Claudia[/name] to be intelligent, if a little nerdy. Thanks [name]Rollo[/name], I’ve never actually met a [name]Claudia[/name], despite the fact that it feels familiar.

Phoebesmom, I love the name [name]Claudia[/name]! I actually just met a little baby [name]Claudia[/name] recently, and I told her mom that I loved the name! I see [name]Claudia[/name] as a new classic.

I love [name]Claudia[/name]! I’ve known a little [name]Claudia[/name] since she was three, and it is adorable and fresh.

I also know exactly how you feel. I turned over the first name to my husband because I feel mentally cross-eyed reading names :slight_smile: So much easier to be “in charge” of the middle name. :slight_smile:

[name]Claudia[/name] always reminds me of the protagonist of ‘The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. [name]Basil[/name] E. Frankweiler’, a book I absolutely love! That [name]Claudia[/name] is clever and confident, and cares about her little brother. I think a [name]Claudia[/name] would be sweet, a little nerdy, and grow to be a very successful woman in whatever she chooses to do. The meaning is unfortunate, but so is the meaning of [name]Celia[/name]/[name]Cecelia[/name], and that doesn’t keep them from being lovely names.

Good luck!

I like [name]Claudia[/name]. I remember loving it when I was in elementary school and middle school. It feels dated to me now, although I’m not sure why. I’ve only ever known one [name]Claudia[/name] and she was in college with me. I always thought it sounded traditional, sweet, and girly–almost on the same field as [name]Susannah[/name], but it appealed to me even more. It’s a lovely name… I just fell out of love with it, I guess. I would much prefer to meet a [name]Claudia[/name] than many of the other names I’ve heard lately, though!