Help! I'm due in a week!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. My due date is just a couple days away!

I’m still feeling torn. Everyone in my family has different favorites. I’m trying to remind myself that this is our choice and I should pick my favorite name.

I want a name that is unfussy and classic, that everyone will be able to pronounce and spell, yet I also want something a bit unusual and not too popular. I don’t want here to be one of 3 kids with the same name in her class.

I’m liking all my choices a lot but nothing is standing out to me. I think I may have to either wait until she is born and see what fits or start looking at other choices or suggestions I may have overlooked.

[name]Eleanor[/name]/ [name]Nora[/name]: I love love [name]Nora[/name], but I think the NN initials is a bit much. I like [name]Eleanor[/name] ok, but it’s [name]Nora[/name] that I really like. I’m still worried about the [name]Ellie[/name] nickname.
[name]Eliza[/name]: I like [name]Eliza[/name] a lot but I’ve recently met a lot of babies named [name]Eliza[/name]. [name]How[/name] popular do we think this will get?
[name]Penelope[/name]/[name]Penny[/name]: Worried about nel in both [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]Nelson[/name]. Is it ok if we call her [name]Penny[/name]?
[name]Margot[/name]: I love [name]Margot[/name], no real problems, just not sure if it’s the one
[name]Cora[/name]: I love [name]Cora[/name], but still worried about the [name]Cory[/name] nickname

I’ve decided against [name]Verity[/name]. Does anyone have any other ideas? [name]Do[/name] you think any of these names will explode like [name]Emma[/name] or [name]Ava[/name]? Should I just wait until she is born?

[name]Hi[/name] there! :slight_smile: I think it’s a great idea to have a list of potential names and wait to see which one best suits your little girl.

If you don’t like the potential [name]Ellie[/name] nickname, you can always call your [name]Eleanor[/name] “[name]Nora[/name],” and that’s what she’ll be. As for [name]Eliza[/name], you can always shorten it to “[name]Liza[/name].”

If the [name]NEL[/name] in [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] bothers you (I hear it, too), then you can always go with another name. [name]Penny[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] is pretty N-heavy, but I think that’s trumped by the name’s cuteness. :slight_smile:

Likewise, if you’re worried about [name]Cory[/name] for [name]Cora[/name], I think you should pick a name that doesn’t have any associated worries for you.

As for what names will jump to reach [name]Ava[/name]'s poularity, for some reason, I’m thinking [name]Cora[/name] will become quite popular. Then again, a completely obscure name, like [name]Beatrix[/name], could become then next hot thing if it’s given to a celebrity baby. Also, it’s important to point out that just because a name is in the top 10 or even top 100, that doesn’t necessarily mean that those children live near you or will be in your little girls class.

Because of this, I think it’s a good idea to pick the name you love, barring any current oversaturation. I think every name on your list is a great choice. :slight_smile:

More ideas:

[name]Celia[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]
[name]Clara[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]
[name]Flora[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name] [name]Nelson[/name], nn [name]Maisie[/name] or [name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Priscilla[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]
[name]Theodora[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] (nn [name]Thea[/name])

Good luck! :slight_smile:

When you meet her, you’ll know what to name her. Neither of my daughters came home with any of the names on my list. And whatever name you choose will be the right one, because you chose it!

I came up with something new… Would love some opinions.

What do you think of

[name]Marianne[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] nn [name]Nan[/name]

[name]Marianne[/name] for [name]Marianne[/name] Dashwood in Sense and Sensibility (my favorite literary character), we looked at this name early on but didn’t want another [name]Annie[/name]. I just thought of [name]Nan[/name] as a nickname tonight. What do you think?

[name]Marianne[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] nn [name]Nan[/name]

[name]Marianne[/name] for [name]Marianne[/name] Dashwood in Sense and Sensibility (my favorite literary character), we looked at this name early on but didn’t want another [name]Annie[/name]. I just thought of [name]Nan[/name] as a nickname tonight. What do you think?

[name]Marianne[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] is adorable, but I don’t really like [name]Nan[/name] [name]Nelson[/name]. I think any nn for [name]Mary[/name] would be a nn for [name]Marianne[/name]: [name]Maisie[/name], [name]Mamie[/name], [name]Polly[/name], [name]May[/name], [name]Mae[/name], and even [name]Marin[/name]. [name]Love[/name] the character [name]Marianne[/name] in Sense and Sensibility!
[name]Eleanor[/name] nn [name]Nora[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] is growing on me - a lot!
[name]Penelope[/name] nn [name]Penny[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] is so cute. It has grown on me, too!
[name]Cora[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] is so cute, I just love it!

I love [name]Mamie[/name] and [name]Polly[/name]. But [name]Mamie[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] is adorable to me.

I don’t think any of the names you’re considering will become uber-popular, but as I live in [name]England[/name] I don’t know much about the naming trends in the US, so I wouldn’t take my word for it …
[name]Eleanor[/name]/ [name]Nora[/name]: - I agree that NN is too much, even though I love [name]Nora[/name], and I still think she will be automatically [name]Ellie[/name]. I think, never name a child for their nn, as they might like adn encourage something completely different, and you may feel disappointed.
[name]Eliza[/name]: - nice, but I don’t particularly like it.
[name]Penelope[/name]/[name]Penny[/name]: - I think the repetition of ‘nel’ isn’t a problem here, and instead makes it roll off the tongue nicely. I adore [name]Penny[/name] as a nn - this is my personal favourite.
[name]Margot[/name]: - I also love this one.
[name]Cora[/name]: - I shouldn’t think she will get nicknamed [name]Cory[/name] most of the time unless she encourages it, because [name]Cora[/name] is perfectly easy to say anyway. I adore this one - it is second to [name]Penelope[/name] in my opinion.
[name]Marianne[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] nn [name]Nan[/name] - NN alliteration with this nickname … I’m just not overly fond of [name]Marianne[/name], either.
I wouldn’t worry too much about it, although it is good to have an idea, as when you see your baby (quite often, but not always) it is likely one name will just fit, perhaps even one you had previously discounted.
I hope this helped!

For me, [name]Marianne[/name] [name]Nelson[/name] doesn’t flow well, because [name]Marianne[/name] ends with an N sound and [name]Nelson[/name] begins with one. I like [name]Susan[/name]'s [name]Mary[/name] nickname suggestions as alternatives to [name]Nan[/name], which sound kind of blunt (to me) with [name]Nelson[/name].

Good luck! :slight_smile: