Help Me Create A Naming System

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] writerberries! I’m working on a story that’s about modern witches/urban fantasy. There are no like mermaids or orcs or other creatures you might find in, say, Pathfinder or Dungeons and Dragons. [name_m]Just[/name_m] all people are essentially witches. They all have access to magic, but have to study to learn the more specific or challenging things.

Anyways! [name_m]Even[/name_m] though it’s low fantasy, it’s still fantasy, which means I can have a completely different naming system. I’m thinking the surname tradition might be different. Maybe your middle or second name designates your coven, for example? Any other ideas like that?

What are some good witchy names? I’m thinking nature and celestial names probably make the most sense.

[name_f]Edit[/name_f]: also, do you think there should be a specific naming system for familiars?

2 Likes

Sounds like a great story! Some cool naming system ideas:

• Attached endings are coven-referential ; i.e. a member of the “abomination coven”(I googled that) named [name_u]Max[/name_u] would be Max-abo
  • Surnames have prefixes associated with the coven; i.e. if the number four is significant to the coven, then a name would be Tetrasmith

Witchy nature/mythological names suggestions:
[name_f]Belladonna[/name_f] (a plant aka nightshade- deadly!)
[name_f]Branwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Acantha[/name_f]
[name_m]Astrophel[/name_m]
[name_m]Byron[/name_m]
[name_f]Ravenna[/name_f]
Celosia
[name_m]Drake[/name_m]
[name_f]Andromeda[/name_f]
[name_f]Hesperia[/name_f]
[name_f]Hecate[/name_f]
Mab/Mabon
[name_m]Otieno[/name_m]
[name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]
Senka
[name_f]Vespera[/name_f]
Waldron

Good luck!

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I love your ideas and those names are awesome.

2 Likes