Help me fall in love with this name

Hi,

Expecting our first baby at the end of May. I think we are more or less settled on the name Margot, which we have loved for years, and I really want the middle name to be Elsie, after my late grandma who I was incredibly close to. The problem is, I just can’t fall in love with the combination of Margot Elsie no matter how hard I try. Am I being ridiculous? Does it work or not?

I think ideally I would want something a bit trendier in the middle but husband and I have different name tastes anyway so we are limited in that respect, plus the meaning behind Elsie is obviously very special and I just keep coming back to it. Having Elsie as a first name isn’t an option. We also like Mabel but not sure if Mabel Elsie flows that well, if at all. We have discussed Willow as well but don’t think it works with our surname which is one syllable and begins with W. It’s also very popular in the name charts right now.

Thanks in advance for your opinions :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I really like the names you’re considering.

I agree about the flow of Margot Elsie not being “perfect” - it’s the O to the E that isn’t super satisfying to say. Keeping in mind, I always think better to honour than go for a less meaningful but entirely rhythmical name - so it may be at the end of this, Margot Elsie is still the best pick - they’re both beautiful and very spunky, cute-vintage names and its only a small bit of imperfect flow, it’s not a deal breaker in any respects. Also, it likely sounds a lot better with the last name in play - sing-song sweet!

But if it really isn’t sitting right for you:

As a wildcard first option, how about Elspeth or Elsbeth as a first - may still get Elsie as a nn but isn’t strictly Elsie in first. I just think Elsbeth (I would pick Elsbeth so can also use Beth) would flow so well to a single syllable W last name, with maybe Margot or Mabel in second spot. Or there’s Eliza Mabel W? Eliza and Elspeth/Elsbeth both related to Elsie so still an honour.

Could you go Margaret Elsie W nn Margot/Maggie/Peggy? Or you could go for Margot Elise if Elise is enough of an honour to Elsie - it does flow better, I think. Same for Margot Elisabeth.

Another option would be Eloise Mabel W - with Eloise as your Elsie honour.

I don’t think Mabel Elsie helps with the El to El. What about Sabella as a first - then you get your Mabel sound and your honour to Elsie (with Sabella being a variation of Elizabeth, and Elsie being a diminutive). Eg Sabella Margot W. Or of course, Margot Sabella with Sabella being your Elsie nod.

Willow Elsie W sounds like it would flow very well. But if you’re off Willow, maybe Autumn Elsie, Philippa Elsie (Pip/Pippa), Harriet Elsie, Maeve Elsie, Marion Elsie, Helena Elsie, Anwen Elsie, Madeleine Elsie, Florence Elsie.

Look forward to hearing if any of these help but I would only change Margot Elsie if it’s really bugging you and nothing anyone says changes that! :sparkles:

3 Likes

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] is stunning! I love how the sweetness and softness of [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] balances out the harsher sounds of the elegant [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] is also a very on-trend name, in the top 100 of 5 English-speaking countries!

I love it and [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] is trending up

In favour of [name_f]Margo[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]: What a lovely vintage combo! I think it’s very stylish and sweet. Although not modern, I think [name_f]Margot[/name_f] brings many modern vibes - she’s chic, independent and not to be messed with! With [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] providing the cute, gentle and lyrical in the middle, I think the two names complement each other wonderfully.

I would go with a variant, sorry I am not helping you live it. [name_f]Lisa[/name_f] is my first pick, then [name_f]Elise[/name_f].

I think [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] is stunning, and if they are, individually, the options you love the most, you should definitely go with it.

We used the formula of Name We [name_f]Love[/name_f] + Meaningful Family Name for each kid, and never had any regrets. Only one of them has a combination that has an “ideal flow” to it, but I don’t love that name any more than the others. I don’t think there’s a thing wrong with [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], and I think you’d have a great deal of satisfaction in that name because of what it means to you.

3 Likes

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] is a pretty combo! It does give me the “double name” vibe a la [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f], etc. Would a second, more upbeat, middle name help?

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] [name_f]Willow[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] works for me - sort of cosy, vintage and cuddly with a hint of refinement too.

Would you consider a twist on [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]?

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f] - [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elise[/name_f] - [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elswyth[/name_f] - [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] - [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Liesel[/name_f] - [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_m]Ellis[/name_m] - [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] - [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Chelsie[/name_f] - [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elysia[/name_f] - [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Eliska[/name_f] - [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Sienna[/name_f] (Sie from [name_f]El[/name_f]sie) - [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Stella[/name_f] - [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Annelise[/name_f] - [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] - [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_m]Elliott[/name_m] / [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elliette[/name_f] - [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elora[/name_f] - [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Eilis[/name_f] - [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Sierra[/name_f] - [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elodie[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] is perfection!!! :heart_eyes: Personally when I am pregnant I have a really hard time loving any name. It’s like I have a name aversion! When your baby is out you can ponder on it while you get to know her. Maybe just have a few back up names just in case it still doesn’t feel right?? But my guess is that you will fall in love with the name when you meet your baby. Especially seeing as though you’ve loved the name for years!! Good luck :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

What about 2 middles names to break up the syllables? You could do something like

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] May/Mae
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] Ray/Rae
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] [name_f]Anne[/name_f]

[name_m]Or[/name_m] put a longer middle name before [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Melody[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]

You could use another name that has the nickname option of [name_f]Margot[/name_f] like

[name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]
[name_f]Marigold[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]
[name_f]Margeretta[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]

Using an [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] variant could also help with the flow

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Giselle[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Brielle[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Arielle[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] (Elsie is a variation of it)
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elise[/name_f] (I think this is a great option because you’re only switching the s and i around)

While flow is sometimes the most important thing for people with naming, for me personally it’s not. At the end of the day I want to use names I love rather than switching to names I’m not totally in love with so they sound better together. You mentioned your last name is one syllable and starts with W and I think when [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] is said with it it probably would flow a lot better so maybe trying saying it all together!

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] W__

I think that [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] flows well! If you want the honour name, use it! I agree with previous posters about this one. flow isn’t the most thing for me, and anyway, I think they do go together. [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] sounds pretty!

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] is gorgeous! [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is a magnificent name, with a lovely sound and a really nice meaning. It’s elegant, lively and international. I adore that [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] has a special meaning to you and your family. The combo [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] definitely works!
In alternative, [name_f]Elise[/name_f] shares all the letters with [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] and flows beautifully with [name_f]Margot[/name_f]! I believe [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elise[/name_f] would be a great idea to use your favorite first name and honor [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], with a small twist.

[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] is adorable and unexpected. It has a wonderful meaning! [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] sounds warm and friendly. However, I prefer [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] over [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f].
I also like the suggestion of [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] [name_f]Willow[/name_f]. Taking your W surname in consideration, what about [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] W.?

I am in love with [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]! Two of my absolute favourite names :heart_eyes: I love [name_f]Margot[/name_f], she is so lively yet chic and the O ending is just amazing! I think that [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] is beautiful! I know a few other people have mentioned it, but [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elise[/name_f] has a slightly better flow while still using the same letters. It could be a cute way to link to [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]!

Otherwise, I love the sweet yet fashionable [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], such a stunning name.

Thank you so much for all the lovely comments and feedback / advise.

Husband is still pushing [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] as it stands already. I am considering maybe adding a second middle like some of you suggested. Considering [name_f]Willow[/name_f] possibly, or maybe [name_f]Rose[/name_f] or [name_f]Rae[/name_f]. Given our last name begins with a W (and is one syllable) ,what order would you place it? I think possibly [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] but not sure if the double O sounds works or not?

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Oh also considering [name_f]Alba[/name_f] but not sure if it’ll be too many Ls!

I agree with others that [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] is a fine name. You could always go with [name_f]Margot[/name_f] Elysa/Elysia. [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] is lovely as well.

[name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] is the [name_m]French[/name_m] diminutive form of [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. And you could still call her [name_f]Margot[/name_f] in this case

I love [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Elise[/name_f] - I actually think it is a fabulously balanced put together name as it is and the honour connection definitely makes it extra special.

I think with a ‘W’ surname I’d be inclined to go with [name_f]Rose[/name_f] or [name_f]Rae[/name_f] as a second middle over [name_f]Willow[/name_f] if going down that route. I actually rather like [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Elise[/name_f] ‘W’, with the ‘o’ sound connecting [name_f]Margot[/name_f] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and the ‘se’ sound connecting [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_f]Elise[/name_f].

Actually it’s the other way around.

I also love the suggestion from others for [name_f]Elise[/name_f] as the middle name.

Thank you so much. [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] is our current front runner I think, so I appreciate the feedback on that. I can’t get [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] out of my head, but I feel so strongly about using [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] as well. We love [name_f]Willow[/name_f] on it’s own I think so might save that just in case we are lucky enough to have second child and she ends up being a girl as well :slight_smile: