Help Me Name a Character

Ok so I’m thinking of adding another character later on in my story. She’s got short, curly, very red hair that looks almost blood red when it’s wet, naturally has dark eyes but has one glass eye. She’s very wicked and not all there. Her brother’s name is [name]Silas[/name] (for now).

I want a name that sounds old, either French or Latin, but doesn’t necessarily have to be. For now I have her labeled as [name]Amadea[/name] nn Dea but am not quite set on it. Also, if you could provide nicknames with your suggestions and/or have other nn suggestions for [name]Amadea[/name], that would also be greatly appreciated.

Gracias in advance! =]

The only other name I could think of was [name]Cerise[/name] or Cerisa which comes from the French and means, “resembling the cherry” which is perfect for her hair description. Hower, I think [name]Amadea[/name] fits her wickedness better and I like the nn Dea. If you used my suggestion, you could nn her [name]Risa[/name].

Actually, [name]Cerise[/name] doesn’t mean ‘resembling the cherry’, it actually is French for cherry …

What about [name]Natalie[/name]? It’s french without sounding overly French

[name]Amadea[/name] is a beautiful, underused name, but it might sound too nice for a slightly bad girl? I think of [name]Amanda[/name] (meaning loved) and such when I hear [name]Amadea[/name], so she might just be too cute for your character? Dea is such a cute nickname as well, so maybe that’s why you’re unsure if it’s the right name…

My first thought was [name]Armande[/name], which is French, and not as pretty girl-ish as [name]Amadea[/name]… My first nn thought was [name]Army[/name] but that’s stretching it a bit far! XD You could use [name]Mandy[/name] (but that’s awfully cute!) or [name]Manda[/name] (which isn’t so cute), but that’s all I have…

I also thought of [name]Iolanthe[/name] (nn [name]Io[/name]) or [name]Ianthe[/name] (not sure about nn, maybe [name]Ann[/name], or [name]Ian[/name], although that’s traditionally a boy’s name, which might not be a bad thing… Argh!)

[name]Lileas[/name] is also one, makes me think of [name]Lilith[/name] without being [name]Lilith[/name], and isn’t that cutesy… [name]Lil[/name] would be a favoured nn over [name]Lily[/name] though, since [name]Lily[/name] brings me right back to cuteness…

[name]Nova[/name] would fit, and she doesn’t need a nickname…

[name]Phaedra[/name] also sounds bad-girl for some reason, and as I see her I’m reminded of [name]Circe[/name], mythological bad-girl who turned men into swine, pronounced sare-see, could use C (See) as nn…

[name]Romola[/name] has that deep sound I think makes a name villainous… [name]Ro[/name] is a good nickname ^^

[name]Selene[/name]/[name]Selena[/name] is also good (goddess of the moon), nn [name]Lena[/name]. I prefer the first version, but the second makes the nn more obvious…

These were the ones I noticed going through my list once… If none of them strike your fancy, or you still need more inspiration, let us know and I’ll list some more ^^
Good luck naming your characters! I know it can be a hassle, but it’s so important make the story good… And if you change your mind about [name]Silas[/name], I can help with that as well… (I’m not too fond of the name [name]Silas[/name], so I immediately thought of alternatives, a bad habit of mine… [name]Hadrian[/name] was the first to spring to mind ^^)

The first name that popped in my head is Azareth. I think I made it up but when I looked it up there are other Azareth’s out there. Something about the “z” and your character description goes together for me. I guess like [name]Azriel[/name]/[name]Azrael[/name] which has some pretty dark connotations.

[name]How[/name] about-

[name]Lucretia[/name] (I found Crece/Crese to be a nn as well as [name]Lu[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name])
[name]Aquilia[/name] - Latin and means [name]Eagle[/name]
[name]Cyra[/name]
[name]Argenta[/name] - Latin means silvery
[name]Cornelia[/name] - Latin means a horn
[name]Carilla[/name]
[name]Dextra[/name]
[name]Galena[/name] - Latin means a lead-like metal
[name]Hortense[/name]/[name]Hortensia[/name]
[name]Levana[/name]
[name]Letitia[/name]
[name]Marona[/name]
[name]Rufina[/name]- Latin and means red-haired.
[name]Zinnia[/name]
[name]Cyrilla[/name]/[name]Cyrella[/name]
[name]Aloisia[/name]
[name]Delora[/name]
[name]Forsythia[/name]
[name]Grenata[/name] - a variation of [name]Garnet[/name]
Grendolin/Grendoline

[name]Medea[/name] - is from Greek mythology and she has quite the heinous story.

Wow! Great suggestions! Thanks so much!

I’m actually surprised with the positive reactions I’ve gotten towards [name]Amadea[/name]. I thought there would be more negative ones :]

I actually considered the name Corneilia (I think I may have spelled that incorrectly) after seeing Girl with a [name]Pearl[/name] Earring. The nasty red-headed daughter was named that. However, there’s something so ancient (at least that I feel) radiating from [name]Amadea[/name]. And I feel that since it’s so underused that it’ll come back to readers as completely fresh. Also, since it’s most likely been years since anyone’s heard the name, I think the character’s wicked personality would give that association to the name so that it still seems detached from [name]Amanda[/name] (although hopefully it won’t ruin the name for any parents who may wish to use the name).

I think I am going to stick with [name]Silas[/name]. That, too, has an ancient feel to me and I always thought it sounded evil. After reading [name]Neil[/name] Gaiman’s “The Graveyard Book,” though, I’ve kind of fallen in love with it :]

I’m still open for suggestions and feedback :] It’s funny, I’ve had great luck with my main and major characters. The “side characters” as I call them are trickier.

BTW [name]Rufina[/name] is playing on my mind now :]

I [name]Haven[/name]'t read The Graveyard Book yet, but it’s on top of my list! As usual, it will likely warm me up to [name]Silas[/name]… [name]Neil[/name] has a way of warming you up to any name… ([name]Yvaine[/name], [name]Orpheus[/name], [name]Shadow[/name], and who hasn’t considered Delirium in a moment of weakness (or delirium XD)?)
That said, [name]Rufina[/name] is nice and fits with [name]Silas[/name], but I much prefer [name]Rufus[/name]… If you’re looking for names meaning red there’s [name]Flannery[/name] and [name]Garnet[/name], of which I prefer the latter… I also know Idumea to mean red, but it’s not listed as a name anywhere… I think it would work well as one, though ^^ It’s the Greek name for Edom, and has that ancient feel you’re looking for, although it’s very similar to [name]Amadea[/name] in style and cuteness…

There’s also these (of which I have no strong opinion, but you might like them):
[name]Aruna[/name] (rust-coloured)
[name]Bay[/name] (reddish brown)
[name]Crimson[/name] (is actually pretty cool, but a complete clash with [name]Silas[/name]…) ^^

What are your main character’s names? perhaps knowing them would help with further suggestions ^^

Some more. I don’t know if repeated any, sorry if I did.

[name]Ambrosia[/name]
[name]Aurelia[/name]
Boadicea
[name]Caecilia[/name]
[name]Cassia[/name]
Cloelia
Domitia
Drusa
Eudocia
[name]Eugenia[/name]
[name]Junia[/name]
[name]Sidony[/name]