Help me name my characters!

Hiya!

You all know the drill, so I might as well get straight to it! I’d like some first and last name suggestions for my characters please! If you wanna skip the descriptions, just go to the bottom for the summary.

Genre: fantasy, angst.
Takes Place In: [name_f]England[/name_f], at present.

CHARACTER 1 (C.1):

Character Description: Male. 18. Dark brown hair and green eyes. Very handsome, stands at about 5’11 and quite muscled (does a lot of running/martial arts). Naturally secretive and very observant, though comes off as very cocky and aggravating. Is mischievous but very smart; collects blackmail on everybody to use to his advantage. Doesn’t do anything without prompt/payment. Often underestimated due to his joking attitude.

Who Named the Character: His late mother, [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. She’d pick a traditional and classic boys’ name, popularity isn’t an issue (cannot use: [name_m]Harry[/name_m], [name_m]George[/name_m], [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]William[/name_m], [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], [name_m]Peter[/name_m], [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_m]Frederick[/name_m], [name_m]Charles[/name_m], [name_m]Stephen[/name_m], [name_m]Christopher[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]). Last name suggestions would be appreciated.

Immediate Family: Mother (deceased); [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. Father, unknown. [name_u]Baby[/name_u] sister (deceased); TBD (suggestions? middle name is [name_f]Mary[/name_f]). Maternal Uncle; TBD (suggestions?).

CHARACTER 2 (C.2):

Character Description: Male. 17. Naturally mousy brown hair though dyed it white; the roots have grown out so it’s just the tips now. Very pale with light blue eyes, though his fringe falls in the way. A slightly upturned nose. Very tall and lanky. Sarcastic and pessimistic, though dislikes to see the few people he cares about sad. [name_m]Said[/name_m] few people he will defend above anything; he has a very sharp tongue and sometimes bites off more than he can chew in that regard. Gets bullied for being a ‘freak’ after a big accident at school.

Who Named the Character: His parents, [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] & [name_u]Michael[/name_u] (names are still debatable). I’m thinking something similar to the style of [name_m]Jack[/name_m], or maybe even [name_m]Jack[/name_m] himself (not too sure yet). Middle name is [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m], after his grandfather. Last name is Demerath.

Immediate Family: Mother; [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]. Father; [name_u]Michael[/name_u]. [name_m]Little[/name_m] brother; [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] [name_u]Michael[/name_u]. [name_m]Little[/name_m] sister; [name_f]Pippa[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]. Paternal Grandfather; [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m].

CHARACTER 3 (C.3):

Character Description: Male. 15. Dark hair and eyes with lots of freckles. Thin and not particularly tall. [name_m]Even[/name_m] more sarcastic than “[name_m]Jack[/name_m]”/C.2. Very creative and inventive, though often teased/bullied for it. Huge lack of self-confidence. Stutters a lot, especially when lying. He also blushes when caught off-guard. His first, and best, friend is the main character. Last name suggestions would be appreciated.

Who Named the Character: His spunky, flirty, confident, then-40-year-old maternal aunt, [name_f]Dorcas[/name_f] “[name_u]Dory[/name_u]”. I expect she’d name him something that fits her own personality (a slight oddball). I’m thinking something nature-based - [name_u]Wren[/name_u]? [name_u]Sage[/name_u]?

Immediate Family: Mother (died at birth, supposedly); TBD (something to fit with [name_f]Dorcas[/name_f] “[name_u]Dory[/name_u]”? I like Megora “[name_f]Meg[/name_f]”). Father; [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m] “[name_m]Nate[/name_m]”. Paternal Uncle; [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] “[name_m]Arty[/name_m]”.

Other [name_m]Major[/name_m] Characters: [name_u]Darcy[/name_u], [name_m]Lathe[/name_m], [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] (C.3’s First Crush!), [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], [name_f]Violet[/name_f] (main character!), twins [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m] & [name_u]Lexis[/name_u], [name_f]Althea[/name_f].

Alright, so here’s the summary of what I’d like you to suggest (pretty please with a cherry on top!:D)…

C.1: A handsome, mischievous, arrogant, secretive, black-mailing expert of an 18-year-old boy. Have considered [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] “[name_m]Ben[/name_m]”. Last name suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

• His deceased baby sister (middle name is [name_f]Mary[/name_f], after their mother).
  • His maternal uncle (to fit with [name_f]Mary[/name_f]).

C.2: A tall and lanky, sarcastic, pessimistic, sharp-tongued 17-year-old boy. Am liking [name_m]Jack[/name_m] for him, with siblings [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and [name_f]Pippa[/name_f]. Middle name is [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m]. Last name is Demerath.

C.3: A thin (“pathetic”), extremely freckled, creative, sarcastic, stuttering and blushing cutie-pie of a 15-year-old boy. Considered [name_u]Wren[/name_u] and [name_u]Sage[/name_u] (am looking for something spunky, maybe nature-related). Last name suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

• His late mother (sister of [name_f]Dorcas[/name_f] “[name_u]Dory[/name_u]”; considered Megora “[name_f]Meg[/name_f]”).

Thank you so much in advance!

(Sorry for the long post.)

C1:
[name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_u]Elias[/name_u]
[name_m]Leo[/name_m]
[name_m]Marcus[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaiah[/name_m]
[name_u]Percy[/name_u]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_m]Quentin[/name_m]
[name_u]Emmett[/name_u]

[name_u]Baby[/name_u] sister:
[name_f]Laura[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]

Uncle:
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Rodney[/name_m]
[name_m]Roger[/name_m]
[name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Walter[/name_m]
[name_m]David[/name_m]

C2: I think he should also have a nickname name. [name_m]Jack[/name_m] is a good fit
[name_u]Theo[/name_u]
[name_m]Bram[/name_m]
[name_m]Archie[/name_m]
[name_u]Kit[/name_u]
[name_u]Quincy[/name_u]
[name_u]Andy[/name_u]
[name_u]Ollie[/name_u]

C3:
[name_u]Indigo[/name_u]
[name_m]Griffin[/name_m]
[name_m]Leif[/name_m]
[name_m]Buzz[/name_m]
[name_u]Orion[/name_u]
[name_m]Birch[/name_m]

Mother: Megara is a good idea
[name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_f]Hilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Gladys[/name_f]
[name_f]Hortense[/name_f]
[name_f]Mildred[/name_f]
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f]

Surname ideas across the board:
Renfrow
[name_m]Burgess[/name_m]
Hastings
[name_m]Pollard[/name_m]
Shull
Sedgwick
Highland
[name_m]Henderson[/name_m]
[name_m]King[/name_m]
Cox
[name_m]Clements[/name_m]

My suggestions…

C.1: [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] [name_m]Armstrong[/name_m]

• Mother: [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_m]Armstrong[/name_m]
  • [name_f]Sister[/name_f]: [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_m]Armstrong[/name_m]
  • Uncle: [name_m]Edward[/name_m] [name_m]Phillip[/name_m] [name_m]Armstrong[/name_m]

I chose [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] because it’s classic, fits with your theme, and has a lot of nickname opportunities. Paired with [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] you also have the option of of the nickname AJ if that fits with his character. Since you said ‘baby’ sister, I went with a more cutesy name, but one that still feels classic. For the uncle, I stuck with a traditional British sounding name like [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. [name_m]Armstrong[/name_m] I chose because it gave connotations of strength and arrogance, as well as pride and protection which I think fit with the description of him.

C.2: [name_u]Nick[/name_u] [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] Demerath / [name_m]Nate[/name_m] [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] Demerath

These two names just sprung to mind, as they conjured up the right kind of image for me. My first instinct was [name_m]Lewis[/name_m], which I think is perfect for your description but it doesn’t really flow with [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] - too many ‘s’ sounds when you try to say it. Additionally, I think [name_m]Jack[/name_m] works perfect here too.

C.3: [name_m]Leif[/name_m] [name_m]Eros[/name_m] Doubek / [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m] [name_m]Felipe[/name_m] Doubek

• Aunt: [name_f]Dorcas[/name_f] “[name_u]Dory[/name_u]” Doubek
  • Mother: [name_f]Electra[/name_f] “[name_f]Ellie[/name_f]” Doubek / [name_f]Phaedra[/name_f] “Phae” Doubek (pronounced [name_f]Fay[/name_f]) / [name_f]Zephyra[/name_f] “Zeph” Doubek

From your suggested names of [name_u]Sage[/name_u] and [name_u]Wren[/name_u], I presume you’re not looking for a super masculine nature name such as [name_m]Stone[/name_m] or [name_m]Fox[/name_m]. Instead I went for more unisex, soft, natural names that are ‘wearable’.

[name_m]Leif[/name_m] is not only a nature name, but also a legitimate Scandinavian name which could come from a well-travelled aunt? My other suggestion is [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m], whilst not strictly nature, it’s very hippy? I gave him a Greek middle name to match his Aunt/Mom.

Other options: [name_u]Cedar[/name_u], [name_f]Briar[/name_f], [name_m]Forest[/name_m], [name_u]River[/name_u], Dusk, or perhaps [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u]?

The surname Doubek means “small oak”. I always like it when two surnames in a story have the same starting letter as it has a strange way of making me feel like the names are natural and not forced to always be completely different.

Thank you, @sparkleninja18 (love your username, btw)! I really like your suggestions of [name_u]Elias[/name_u] & [name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_f]Laura[/name_f], [name_f]Diana[/name_f] & [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] & [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_u]Theo[/name_u] & [name_u]Kit[/name_u], [name_m]Leif[/name_m], [name_u]Orion[/name_u] & [name_m]Birch[/name_m], [name_f]Hortense[/name_f] & [name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f]! Thanks also for your last name suggestions; they’re all so brilliant! I’ll definitely be using a lot of them for other characters!

Thanks a lot, @mosoly! I’m amazed at the amount of thought you put in!

C.1: I really like [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] is a simple classic that fits his family’s style; you’re totally right on those accounts! Yeah, his little sister (I love [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] for her!) was very young when she died so she isn’t actually in the story, but she’s very important to the plot. [name_m]Edward[/name_m] is great, too, as is [name_m]Armstrong[/name_m]. I totally understand where you get those vibes from!

C.2: Ooh, I get [name_m]Lewis[/name_m]! But yeah, bit too similar to [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] and that can’t change for plot reasons. I prefer [name_m]Nate[/name_m], definitely - I think he works great!

C.3: Oh my god, I love all of your suggestions! [name_m]Leif[/name_m] and [name_m]Bodhi[/name_m] are brilliant, as are the middles, and I really like the last name Doubek for them.

Yeah, you got it exactly right! C.3 isn’t masculine at all and I sorta wanted his name to reflect that, or at least in comparison to his friends.

Thanks for the other options! I really like [name_u]River[/name_u], Dusk and [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u] (I actually considered [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u]!).

I love the connection to his family with the names you suggested; once again, amazing thought!

I totally get what you mean about the last names!

Anyway, thank you both so much for answering! Anybody else got any ideas?

You’re welcome @amelia1990!! I enjoyed doing it, glad you like the suggestions! As a side note, your username always throws me as I am called [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] and born in 1990 haha! :slight_smile:

@mosoly – That is funny! I’m not born in 1990, though (I’m 2003) but I am called [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]! It’s still quite a funny coincidence! :slight_smile: