Hi! This is a very different kind of sibling name request, but I’m posting here in addition to the pet names category in the hopes that some of you will enjoy.
I’m a cat and kitten foster mom, and it looks like this is going to be a really busy kitten season for me. I need some new kitten names for my list and am looking for inspiration!
Some context: most of the kittens I foster come to me in groups with their siblings (generally about 2-5 kittens per group, though occasionally we get more or combine two litters). We like for the names in each litter to have some kind of theme (eg. flowers, constellations, characters from the same book or TV show).
So, here are the guidelines:
- Each name set should have a theme of some kind
- If you can, give 3 - 8 name ideas per theme to allow for some flexibility (but if you have a really cute idea for just a pair or a trio, I’ll take it!)
- Ideally not more than 2 names per initial— messes with our shorthand notation system
- I tend to prefer names that aren’t too silly (and maybe sound like they could be used on humans, though that’s definitely not a requirement). Names like Matcha, Acorn, or Glitter are all great, but I don’t usually go for really goofy names like Potato or Spaghetti. This is all very subjective, and exceptions will definitely be made for silly names with human sounding nicknames
Examples of litters I’ve had in the past:
- Ruby, Java, and Matlab (all programming languages! Matlab definitely violates the silly names rule but it just felt right and we called him Mat)
- Angela Davis, Frederick Douglass, and Malcolm X (Black revolutionaries from different eras)
- Lyra, Orion, Draco, Cassiopeia, and Perseus (constellations)
- Paprika, Saffron, and Cardamom (spices)
Thanks in advance! Excited to get some new ideas!