Help me think of kitten sibling names!

Hi! This is a very different kind of sibling name request, but I’m posting here in addition to the pet names category in the hopes that some of you will enjoy.

I’m a cat and kitten foster mom, and it looks like this is going to be a really busy kitten season for me. I need some new kitten names for my list and am looking for inspiration!

Some context: most of the kittens I foster come to me in groups with their siblings (generally about 2-5 kittens per group, though occasionally we get more or combine two litters). We like for the names in each litter to have some kind of theme (eg. flowers, constellations, characters from the same book or TV show).

So, here are the guidelines:

• Each name set should have a theme of some kind
  • If you can, give 3 - 8 name ideas per theme to allow for some flexibility (but if you have a really cute idea for just a pair or a trio, I’ll take it!)
  • Ideally not more than 2 names per initial— messes with our shorthand notation system
  • I tend to prefer names that aren’t too silly (and maybe sound like they could be used on humans, though that’s definitely not a requirement). Names like Matcha, Acorn, or Glitter are all great, but I don’t usually go for really goofy names like Potato or Spaghetti. This is all very subjective, and exceptions will definitely be made for silly names with human sounding nicknames

Examples of litters I’ve had in the past:

• Ruby, Java, and Matlab (all programming languages! Matlab definitely violates the silly names rule but it just felt right and we called him Mat)
  • Angela Davis, Frederick Douglass, and Malcolm X (Black revolutionaries from different eras)
  • Lyra, Orion, Draco, Cassiopeia, and Perseus (constellations)
  • Paprika, Saffron, and Cardamom (spices)

Thanks in advance! Excited to get some new ideas!

2 Likes

[name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_u]Aries[/name_u], [name_u]Gemini[/name_u] (Zodiacs)

[name_f]Maple[/name_f], [name_f]Honey[/name_f], [name_f]Sugar[/name_f] (Sweetener Names)

[name_f]Olive[/name_f], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_u]Indigo[/name_u], [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f], [name_u]Blue[/name_u] (Colors)

[name_u]Sparrow[/name_u], [name_u]Wren[/name_u], [name_u]Finch[/name_u], [name_u]Raven[/name_u], [name_m]Hawk[/name_m], [name_u]Jay[/name_u], [name_u]Robin[/name_u], [name_u]Lark[/name_u], [name_u]Dove[/name_u] (Birds)

[name_u]Love[/name_u], [name_f]Joy[/name_f], [name_f]Faith[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_u]Noble[/name_u], [name_u]Bravery[/name_u] (Virtue)

[name_f]Azalea[/name_f], [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f] (Flowers)

[name_u]Juniper[/name_u], [name_u]Willow[/name_u], [name_u]Cedar[/name_u], [name_f]Maple[/name_f] (Trees)

[name_u]Onyx[/name_u], [name_u]Jasper[/name_u], [name_f]Emerald[/name_f], [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_f]Amethyst[/name_f], [name_f]Jade[/name_f], [name_f]Sapphire[/name_f], [name_f]Topaz[/name_f] (Gemstones)

[name_f]Athena[/name_f], [name_m]Apollo[/name_m], [name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f], [name_u]Aries[/name_u], [name_u]Artemis[/name_u], [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] (Greek gods that start with “A”)

[name_f]Alaska[/name_f], [name_f]Carolina[/name_f], [name_u]Dakota[/name_u], [name_u]Tennessee[/name_u], [name_f]Virginia[/name_f], [name_u]Texas[/name_u] (States)

[name_m]Washington[/name_m], [name_u]Monroe[/name_u], [name_u]Reagan[/name_u], [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u], [name_m]Harrison[/name_m], [name_u]Lincoln[/name_u] (Presidents)

[name_f]Mocha[/name_f], Expresso, Cappuccino, Latte (Coffee)

[name_u]Cato[/name_u], [name_m]Romeo[/name_m], [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f], [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m], [name_f]Bianca[/name_f], [name_f]Cressida[/name_f] (Shakespeare)

[name_u]Harry[/name_u], [name_m]Ron[/name_m], [name_f]Hermione[/name_f], [name_f]Luna[/name_f], [name_m]Neville[/name_m], [name_m]Draco[/name_m], [name_f]Ginny[/name_f] (Harry [name_m]Potter[/name_m] students)

[name_f]Merry[/name_f], [name_u]Pippin[/name_u], [name_u]Sam[/name_u], [name_m]Frodo[/name_m] (Hobbits from LOTR)

[name_u]Basil[/name_u], [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], [name_u]Fennel[/name_u], [name_f]Lavender[/name_f], Peppermint, [name_u]Sage[/name_u], [name_u]Thyme[/name_u] (herbs)

[name_u]Pepper[/name_u], [name_f]Paprika[/name_f], [name_u]Clove[/name_u], Oregano, [name_f]Saffron[/name_f], Turmeric, [name_f]Cinnamon[/name_f], [name_f]Nutmeg[/name_f] (spice)

[name_u]Juniper[/name_u], [name_u]Evergreen[/name_u], [name_u]Holly[/name_u], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] (winter plants)

[name_f]Amethyst[/name_f], [name_f]Emerald[/name_f], [name_u]Jasper[/name_u], [name_f]Jade[/name_f], [name_u]Diamond[/name_u], [name_u]Onyx[/name_u], [name_m]Quartz[/name_m] (precious stones)

[name_f]Marigold[/name_f], [name_u]Hyacinth[/name_u], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Wildrose[/name_f], [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f], [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] (flowers)

Okay I love the idea of [name_f]Paprika[/name_f], [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], & [name_u]Carmen[/name_u] :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Oregano, [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], Cilantro, [name_f]Cinnamon[/name_f], [name_u]Pepper[/name_u], Cardamom, [name_f]Ginger[/name_f], [name_f]Nutmeg[/name_f] (spices/herbs)

States/Citys
KC (Kansas City)
[name_f]Nola[/name_f] (New Orleans)
[name_u]Denver[/name_u] (Colorado)
[name_u]Cali[/name_u] (California)
[name_f]Vegas[/name_f]

Countries
[name_u]Rio[/name_u]
[name_f]Fiji[/name_f]
[name_u]Cairo[/name_u]
[name_u]Athens[/name_u]
[name_f]Asia[/name_f]

Criminal Minds (TV Show)
Hotchner
[name_u]Morgan[/name_u]
[name_u]Reid[/name_u]
[name_m]Rossi[/name_m]
[name_m]Prentiss[/name_m]
[name_u]Garcia[/name_u]
[name_m]Gideon[/name_m]
[name_f]Elle[/name_f]
Jareau

Space
[name_f]Luna[/name_f]
Asteroid
[name_m]Apollo[/name_m]
[name_f]Callisto[/name_f]
[name_f]Zeta[/name_f]

Colors
[name_f]Aqua[/name_f]
[name_f]Goldie[/name_f]
[name_u]Navy[/name_u]
[name_f]Coral[/name_f]

1 Like

Ohh, I love these! I’m especially into the [name_u]Texas[/name_u] names, bodies of water, and landmark names— such unique ideas that I’ve never heard anywhere else!

1 Like

[name_u]Fennel[/name_u] is such a cute herb name that I’ve never thought of using! I also absolutely love the winter plants theme. [name_u]Winter[/name_u] kittens are more uncommon but if we ever do have a litter around winter time, I will definitely be using them.

1 Like

[name_f]Mimi[/name_f], [name_u]Coco[/name_u], [name_f]Vivi[/name_f], [name_f]Lulu[/name_f], [name_f]Zaza[/name_f], [name_f]Momo[/name_f], [name_f]Gigi[/name_f], [name_f]Kiki[/name_f], [name_f]Dodo[/name_f]

first people in space records: [name_u]Yuri[/name_u], [name_f]Valentina[/name_f], [name_m]Alan[/name_m], [name_m]John[/name_m], [name_f]Sally[/name_f], [name_f]Mae[/name_f], [name_m]Alexei[/name_m], [name_m]Ed[/name_m]

Gilligan, [name_u]Skipper[/name_u], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f], [name_f]Ginger[/name_f], The Professor, [name_f]Lovey[/name_f], [name_m]Thurston[/name_m] [name_m]Howell[/name_m] III

[name_m]Moss[/name_m], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], [name_f]Zinnia[/name_f], [name_u]Cedar[/name_u], [name_f]Blossom[/name_f], [name_f]Fern[/name_f], [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]
[name_m]Cole[/name_m], [name_f]Amber[/name_f], Ezmerelda, [name_f]Amethyst[/name_f], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
[name_m]Pheonix[/name_m], [name_u]Robin[/name_u], [name_u]Wren[/name_u], Sparrow/Starling, [name_u]Lark[/name_u], [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u], [name_f]Birdie[/name_f], [name_u]Dove[/name_u]
[name_m]Gilbert[/name_m], Anne/Avonlea, [name_f]Marilla[/name_f], [name_f]Diana[/name_f], [name_f]Minnie[/name_f], [name_f]Blythe[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Maude[/name_f]

Omg, I love the name [name_m]Moss[/name_m]! [name_m]Moss[/name_m] and [name_f]Fern[/name_f] as littermates… :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I wonder if you (or anyone!) can help me come up with some more green, woodsy plant names to go with those? I foster anywhere from 10 to 30 litters a year, so I think for some of the themes that lend themselves to lots of options (like plant/botanical names), I might start dividing them into subcategories with a more specific meaning and/or style so that I can get more sibsets out of each idea!

(Also, [name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables names have been on my list for a long time, and I love the idea of including [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] as an option!)

1 Like

Wow, in LOVE with the sweetener names! That’s just the kind of unexpected, adorable theme that always gets me. A friend of mine had kittens named after seeds (think [name_f]Chia[/name_f], [name_f]Sesame[/name_f], Flax) and I thought that was so perfect.

Also love the bird names— I’ve seen that theme done before by colleagues, but you gave me some new name ideas that I love!

Coffee is so cute too, and [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] is an incredible theme idea that I’ve never considered. Really, I love all of this!

2 Likes

I’m not seeing the theme- help me out! I do think those names sound so cute together…

1 Like

[name_u]Red[/name_u]!

Btw way random question: who is in your pfp?

Wow, this idea is perfect for me (we all love space at our house). I’m sure we’ll be using this set sooner or later!

That’s me as a baby!
I love the red theme, by the way! We’ve been playing with the idea of doing litter names all themed around one color, but we didn’t have a list of “red” names yet.

2 Likes

You were a cute kid! :grin:

1 Like

Wow, NATO phonetic alphabet is brilliant! I really like all of these (Carrottop!). Although Romeo and Juliet is adorable, I don’t think I would do it because I think it’s weird for siblings… am I overthinking this?

I missed these! I’m so intrigued by New Orleans with Nola as a nickname— I love the idea of using city names that aren’t commonly used as names, with more accessible/“normal” nicknames. Kansas City “KC”/“Kacey” definitely fits well with that theme too. Can anyone think of more cities like that?

2 Likes

Nautical: Harbour, Piper, Navy, Sailor, Reef, Decker, Seafarer, Isla.

Christmas: Noelle, Holly, Ivy, Yule, Noel, Eve, Klaus, Jolly, Nicholas, Saint, Angelica, Myrtle, Jasper.

Moons: Europa, Io, Phoebe, Callista, Ganymede, Cleo.

Woodland/Outdoors: Bramble, Twig, Sandy, Heath, Russle, Leaf, Beckett, Beacon.

Famous Tragic Literary Figures:
Ophelia, Eurydice, Juliet, Hamlet, Romeo, Leto, Orpheus.

Sun/Star theme
Vesper
Seren
Yvaine
Cyrus
Helio
Elio
Sonny
Stella
Estelle

Famous Authors
Austin, Tolkien, Rowling, Tolstoy

Famous Operas:
Carmen, Figaro, Boheme, Tosca, Fidelio.

Places which double up as names
Florence, Paris, Vienna, Adelaide, Cairo, Jordan.

Seven angels or archangels correspond to the days of the week: Michael (Sunday), Gabriel (Monday), Uriel (Tuesday), Raphael (Wednesday), Selaphiel (Thursday), Raguel (Friday), and Barachiel (Saturday).

Famous Liqueurs:
Whiskey, Sambuca, Gin, Amaretto, Rum.