Help! My family hates the name I love

We are having a girl in [name]November[/name] and I have fallen in love with [name]Georgina[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]. My husband is okay with it (not loving it) and everyone else is being polite, but I can tell they don’t like it. What is it about [name]Georgina[/name] that people are not liking? Any other names you think I should consider? Middle name has to be [name]Elizabeth[/name]. Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

I love [name]Georgina[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name], and I’m sorry your family isn’t loving it more. :frowning: As someone suggested in another post dealing with a similar issue, I’m thinking that because it’s not heard often (especially in the U.S.), it may seem old-fashioned or out of style to your relatives, just like certain names from their generation feel outdated to us.

If you look it up on Nameberry, [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] had wonderful things to say about the elegant [name]Georgina[/name]. :slight_smile:

If you’re not set on [name]Georgina[/name], you may also like [name]Georgia[/name] and [name]Georgiana[/name]. (I love those, too.) :slight_smile:

Other names you may like:

[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]/[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]/[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Georgiana[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] (nn [name]Nell[/name] or [name]Poppy[/name])
[name]Rosalie[/name]/[name]Rosalind[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]

This is your baby, and I think that if you love [name]Georgina[/name], you should use it! Your parents or in-laws already had a chance to name their children, and this is your baby and your chance to express yourself. :slight_smile: That said, I do think that if your husband doesn’t really love it, that’s something to consider.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Georgina[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] is a beautiful name. A real classic. I also love the nn’s of [name]Gina[/name] and [name]Georgie[/name].

I know sisters [name]Georgina[/name] and [name]Alexandra[/name] and I think it is a superb blend of names.

[name]Don[/name]'t let the relatives turn you off a name you really love.

I also like [name]Georgina[/name] [name]Elise[/name] very much.

I love it, and I think once these people get used to a name they may not have heard in a while, they’ll love it too because its a beautiful name! I know a little [name]Georgia[/name], which is also very nice, but I think [name]Georgina[/name] is even fresher! And I might add, its for this reason that we don’t tell anyone (or almost anyone - so far, I don’t think anybody I know is on this site!) our chosen names – this way, they have to be really rude to give their opinions after the baby’s born . . . we are using [name]Louisa[/name] this time if we have a girl, and I think our families will think its really odd, but we’re forging ahead - they’ll have to accept it then and acknowledge its a pretty name. (OH, and if your husband is just ho-hum about it now - as opposed to an immediate veto, give him some time and he may come to love it too! these names usually take a month or two to sink in with mine, and then he’s set on them)

You’re using [name]Louisa[/name]? I [name]LOVE[/name] that name!!! (And with your [name]Jane[/name]…Wow!) :slight_smile:

I think [name]Georgina[/name] is a great name. I prefer it over [name]Georgia[/name]. I think people are caught up in trendy names that it takes them awhile to embrace beautiful classics. You and your husband are the ultimate deciding factor in your baby’s name. It’s hard enough to find one you both agree upon, so family or not don’t be too dissuaded by their lack of enthusiasm. One of my sisters actually never spoke of baby names with the family when she was pregnant. I’m sure she had her mind set on the perfect name and didn’t want to be convinced otherwise.

I love [name]Georgina[/name] and [name]Georgia[/name] with nn [name]Georgie[/name]! The only people you have to please are your husband and you. Everybody else will get used to the name.

You’re using [name]Louisa[/name]? I [name]LOVE[/name] that name!!! (And with your [name]Jane[/name]…Wow!) :-)[/quote]

Yes, [name]Jill[/name], remember [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]? We are just stuck on boy’s names now . . . more to be posted on that later. Sorry, [name]Krista[/name], for getting into my names on your post! [name]Love[/name] [name]Love[/name] [name]Georgina[/name] and nn [name]Georgie[/name]! If I mentioned to my husband, he might change his mind as he loves boyish nicknames on girls, so I won’t!

Let me just add my official support to all the very eloquent things everyone has already said about [name]Georgina[/name]. It’s a wonderful name, an original choice that is at the same time not too far out there, and if your family feels the burning need to impose their taste on you and your baby, tell them they’re welcome to go out and buy lots of little clothes! One of the most wonderful things about having a baby is choosing the name, so stick to your right to exercise this privilege. Good luck.

I cannot thank you guys enough for the wonderful support and encouragement! I really needed that right now :slight_smile: I am going to stop talking names with my family until after she is here. It is too difficult and discouraging to try to please everyone and you are so right, the only thing that matters is what my husband and I think!! :slight_smile: Now I just need to work on him a bit to make him love the name as much as I do. Thanks again for all of your help and encouraging words for baby [name]Georgina[/name]! :slight_smile:

I’m so glad we could help, [name]Krista[/name]! (Subliminal message to [name]Krista[/name]'s husband: You [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Georgina[/name]…) :slight_smile:

[name]Danal[/name],

[name]Silly[/name] me temporarily forgot about [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Margaret[/name], but I’m completely with the program now. :slight_smile:

I think it’s a great name. Maybe as your family hears it more, they will come to appreciate it more.

[name]Georgina[/name] is beautiful. We didn’t tell anyone our choices until the baby had arrived and the ink was dry on the birth cert. Then no one will tell you they don’t like your baby’s name. Pick a name YOU like and the others will learn to like it.

Hey, if you and the dad like the name…use it. Sure, listen to your family’s opinions if you want, but in the end…you’re the only ones making the decision. Keep your child in mind, obviously, but you get to name your child…your parents got to name you. In the end, hopefully, no matter the name, they’ll love the little girl.

Good luck!

yeah, i love georgine D:

people are probably not liking the gina part how about [name]Georgia[/name]
good luck!

I love [name]Georgina[/name] and also the nn’s of [name]Georgie[/name] and [name]Gina[/name] and if the child was cheeky and tomboyish I would call them [name]Georgie[/name] if ladylike and quieter then I would go with [name]Gina[/name].

It is a lovely combo that you have chosen, a real classic. Good luck.

Your family will adapt! Use the name you love.

This is exactly why I have decided not to disclose our baby’s name until she arrives. I mean, assuming I actually settle on a name before she arrives, which is not a sure thing at all! Over the holidays, my family had a lot of discussions about names, which they like, which they don’t, and so on. I realized, in listening to them, that I didn’t want to hear any negatives about my preferred names, so I didn’t offer up any!

I’m not saying this is a course of action that will work for everyone. [name]Just[/name] that I think it will be the best choice for me.

Since your family hasn’t come out and said they hate the name, then I think they may well just need a little time to come around and love it just as much as you do. Who knows what the objection is… you can’t please everyone. Please yourself, your husband, and your darling baby girl!

[name]Georgina[/name] and [name]Louisa[/name] are beautiful…go for it girls!

[name]Georgiana[/name]? [name]Georgia[/name]? [name]Gina[/name]?