Help name our firstborn.. due soon

Hi -

We cannot decide on a name to save our lives and baby is due very soon!

We’d like to use the middle name [name_u]Perry[/name_u] or [name_u]Douglas[/name_u] (honorific) but are stuck on a first.

Here’s the current list:

• August (love but worried it’s too popular)
  • Marlow
  • Cormac (worried it’s too quintessentially Irish)
  • Merritt
  • Whitley (nn [name_u]Whit[/name_u])
  • Rye
  • Shay
3 Likes

My favorite name is [name_u]August[/name_u], but I would agree that it may be on the rise.

Marlow does seem a bit feminine but could also work.

Cormac doesn’t seem explicitly Irish to me. I know a few [name_m]Cormac[/name_m]’s and some go by [name_m]Mac[/name_m].

Merritt is cool; a little out there but fits with the surname-y vibe lots of people are loving now

Whitley seems a little feminine, but [name_u]Whit[/name_u] is such a spunky little nickname. It also has like a 1920s vibe to it.

Rye reminds me of bread at first :joy:, but it fits in with the vibes of [name_u]Kai[/name_u], [name_u]Rylan[/name_u], [name_u]Ryder[/name_u], and [name_m]Ty[/name_m].

Shay is also cool. Feels very southern to me, but isn’t necessarily bad.

1 Like

August - I love this name! It’s so handsome and classic and the name of a favorite literary character of mine. I really don’t think it’s that common - it’s currently outside the top 100 (#167 in 2019). I also think it sounds absolutely wonderful with Perry as middle! It likely will only get more popular though, so I understand your hesitation.

Marlow - this one is nice, but I don’t love it. It’s not as classic as August but it’s very fun and more unique. The biggest problem I see here is that it’s becoming more popular for girls. I also think it sounds a bit too modern next to Perry or Douglas, though it would sound fine with either.

Cormac - I love this name! It’s got some obvious Irish connotations but I don’t think that’s a bad thing. Lots of names have Irish inspiration (McKinley, Finnegan, Niall, Brady, etc.) and I honestly love this trend. I think Cormac is strong, has great nickname options, and pairs wonderfully with either middle. I’d say it’s actually my favorite of all your choices, but it matters most whether you think it’s too Irish.

Merritt - again, this one is nice. I’ve really only seen it used on girls and I think I’d prefer it on a girl, but it’s a lovely name overall. I think I’d like it more if you didn’t have August or Cormac as options, but Merritt just doesn’t seem to shine as much as the others on your list. I also don’t think it flows well with either middle name.

Whitley - I like this one, but again it feels feminine. Whit is a handsome nickname though. I’d prefer Whitman as a full name, just because Whitley/Whitney have gained such strong feminine associations over the years. I do like it slightly more than Merritt, but again I think it pales in comparison to the others.

Rye - all I can think of is the bread. Sorry :confused:

Shay - I love this one! It’s a great name for either sex and I love it’s simplicity, straightforward pronunciation, and easy spelling. I still definitely prefer August or Cormac, but I think Shay Douglas is a strong combo.

2 Likes

August - I like this, but you may get the questions of naming him that if he isn’t born in [name_u]August[/name_u]. I tried suggesting [name_f]Autumn[/name_f] for our daughter and my husband made a similar type comment about it being the summer.

Marlow - This sounds feminine to me, similar to popular girl’s name [name_u]Harlow[/name_u]

Cormac - This one is a good choice and not too popular

Merritt - I love this name and it’s very unisex.

Whitley - Also sounds feminine to me with so many girls names ending in -ley

Rye - Makes me think of the bread or NY.

Shay - Also a very good unisex choice

1 Like

Cormac [name_u]Perry[/name_u] would be gorgeous

2 Likes

[name_u]August[/name_u] - I like [name_u]August[/name_u], but it’s not my favorite on the list. I think it works best with [name_u]Perry[/name_u].
[name_u]Marlow[/name_u] - [name_u]Marlow[/name_u], though unisex, leans feminine for me. I do think [name_u]Marlow[/name_u] works with either [name_u]Perry[/name_u] or [name_u]Douglas[/name_u], though.
[name_m]Cormac[/name_m] - I don’t think it’s too Irish. It’s a handsome name. I like [name_m]Cormac[/name_m] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u] as a pairing, but think [name_u]Perry[/name_u] could also work.
[name_u]Merritt[/name_u] - I love seeing [name_u]Merritt[/name_u] on a list! Handsome and old-fashioned. I like this one with [name_u]Douglas[/name_u], as well.
[name_u]Whitley[/name_u] - This one sounds slightly feminine to me, as well, but I love the nn [name_u]Whit[/name_u]! I prefer Whittaker nn Whit, but I still think Whitley could work fine on a boy. I would go with [name_u]Douglas[/name_u] as the middle for this one, as well.
[name_u]Rye[/name_u] - I’ve never seen this used as a name and it just makes me think of the bread. Definitely has a nice, nickname kind of sound to it, though. I like it with [name_u]Douglas[/name_u].
[name_u]Shay[/name_u] - I like the softness of [name_u]Shay[/name_u] and think it could go with either middle name.

Overall, I think my favorites from your list are [name_u]Merritt[/name_u] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u], [name_u]Whitley[/name_u] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u], and [name_m]Cormac[/name_m] [name_u]Perry[/name_u] or [name_m]Cormac[/name_m] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u].

August and [name_u]Marlow[/name_u] are both so lovely. [name_u]August[/name_u] may be gaining in popularity a little but I don’t think it’s skyrocketing personally. [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_u]Perry[/name_u] or [name_u]Marlow[/name_u] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u] would be fantastic! Other ideas:

Rex
[name_m]Oskar[/name_m]
[name_m]Cyrus[/name_m]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Wilfred[/name_m]
[name_u]Flynn[/name_u]
[name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
[name_m]Maxim[/name_m]
[name_m]Orson[/name_m]
[name_m]Winston[/name_m]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m]
[name_u]Remy[/name_u]
[name_m]Atticus[/name_m]
[name_m]Bastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Rafferty[/name_m]
[name_m]Angus[/name_m]
[name_m]Lucian[/name_m]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]
[name_u]Milo[/name_u]
[name_m]Phineas[/name_m]
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_u]Quinn[/name_u]
[name_m]Raphael[/name_m]
[name_m]Stellan[/name_m]
[name_m]Apollo[/name_m]
[name_u]Van[/name_u]
[name_m]Remus[/name_m]
[name_m]Xander[/name_m]
[name_m]Finnian[/name_m]
[name_u]Axel[/name_u]
[name_m]Caspar[/name_m]
[name_m]Orlando[/name_m]
[name_m]Dashiell[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_u]Hudson[/name_u]
[name_u]Idris[/name_u]
[name_m]Otis[/name_m]
[name_m]Jonty[/name_m]
[name_u]Kai[/name_u]
[name_m]Leopold[/name_m]
[name_u]Oleander[/name_u]

1 Like

August [name_u]Perry[/name_u]! I don’t think [name_u]August[/name_u] is all that popular…

1 Like

I really like [name_m]Cormac[/name_m]!

And perhaps you could use a variation of [name_u]August[/name_u]?
[name_m]Augustus[/name_m]
[name_u]Augustine[/name_u]
[name_m]Augustin[/name_m]
[name_m]Augusten[/name_m]

1 Like

I love shay!!

1 Like

August [name_u]Perry[/name_u] - such a handsome combo !!
[name_u]Marlow[/name_u] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u] ohhhhh I like this one
[name_m]Cormac[/name_m] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u] - sounds so strong and masculine
[name_u]Whitley[/name_u] [name_u]Perry[/name_u] seems like a magical combo! I get all sorts of feels for this name
[name_u]Rye[/name_u] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u] this is my favourite!
[name_u]Shay[/name_u] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u] - I am totally bias but this feels edgy and chic
[name_u]Merritt[/name_u] [name_u]Perry[/name_u] - I like the repetition of the rr in the middle of each name

1 Like

I love [name_u]August[/name_u]! I personally have never met any one named [name_u]August[/name_u] so I don’t think you would have to worry about that!

1 Like

I like [name_u]August[/name_u] the best

1 Like

Congratulations!

I love [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_u]Perry[/name_u], [name_m]Cormac[/name_m] [name_u]Perry[/name_u], and [name_u]Whitley[/name_u] “[name_u]Whit[/name_u]” [name_u]Perry[/name_u]. Such handsome names! I like the suggestion of finding similar names as an alternative to [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_u]Whitley[/name_u], too.

I like all the choices except [name_u]Rye[/name_u] (sorry).

I love [name_m]Cormac[/name_m]. And I personally love [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u] on a boy! It’s unisex and I’ve personally seen it used for a boy and its handsome. I also like [name_u]August[/name_u] but I do see it mentioned on here A LOT so I feel it will get really popular and maybe in a trendy way, like popular for awhile but not for all time.

I prefer [name_m]Whittaker[/name_m] over [name_u]Whitley[/name_u].

Cormac [name_u]Perry[/name_u]
[name_u]Marlow[/name_u] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u]
[name_m]Whittaker[/name_m] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u] or [name_m]Whittaker[/name_m] [name_u]Perry[/name_u]
[name_u]Merritt[/name_u] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u]
[name_u]Shay[/name_u] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u]

Douglas goes well with just about everything, its nice. Although [name_u]Perry[/name_u] just goes so nicely with [name_m]Cormac[/name_m].

Cormac [name_u]Perry[/name_u] is definitely my fave!

1 Like

August [name_u]Perry[/name_u]
[name_u]Marlow[/name_u] [name_u]Perry[/name_u]
[name_m]Cormac[/name_m] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u]
[name_u]Merritt[/name_u] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u]
[name_u]Whitley[/name_u] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u]
[name_u]Rye[/name_u] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u]
[name_u]Shay[/name_u] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u]

I like [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_u]Perry[/name_u] and [name_u]Rye[/name_u] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u] the best. [name_u]August[/name_u] is popular on here, but I haven’t met someone with that name yet.

1 Like

I love the idea of [name_m]Cormac[/name_m] [name_u]Perry[/name_u] or [name_u]Whitley[/name_u] [name_u]Douglas[/name_u]!! Very handsome!!

1 Like

If you really love [name_u]August[/name_u], I would go with that. I haven’t met an [name_u]August[/name_u] yet and if I did I would find it refreshing.
[name_u]Merritt[/name_u] also appeals to me. I think it goes very well with either of the middle name choices.

1 Like

Hmmm, I would go with [name_u]Merritt[/name_u]!

August - if you’re worried about popularity, it’s in the rise…
[name_u]Marlow[/name_u] - strikes me as a feminine name
[name_m]Cormac[/name_m] - I don’t think it’s too Irish
[name_u]Whitley[/name_u] - seems feminine
[name_u]Rye[/name_u] - :bread:
[name_u]Shay[/name_u] - feminine to me…

August and [name_u]Merritt[/name_u] are my favourites and I like [name_u]Whit[/name_u] but slightly prefer [name_m]Whitman[/name_m] over [name_u]Whitley[/name_u]. [name_m]Just[/name_m] so you are aware, whiskey is commonly referred to as rye.