Help! Names that work well/are pronounced the same in English and German

HELP! We currently live in Australia, but all our family (grandparents etc.) are in Europe in a German speaking country. Looking for “international” names that are not too common but also not totally unheard of, don’t require a nickname and most importantly, are pronounced the same or almost the same in English and German … or so obviously English that they aren’t mispronounced or sound ridiculous in German … Comments and additions to current favorite list highly appreciated!

Even if you don’t speak German you might have thoughts how the more European names (last 3 in first list) come across in an EN speaking country …

Big brother is Miles and husband dislikes names that start with or have the letter “r” if that helps …

• Neil
  • Colin
  • Dylan
  • Timo
  • Nino
  • Sven

Names we kind of like but have excluded as pronunciation of the same name in the two languages is either completely different or we dislike either the German or English pronunciation:

• Ian
  • Leon
  • Silas
  • Damian
  • Elio
  • Julian
1 Like

I like all the names on your list! I think [name_m]Timo[/name_m], [name_u]Nino[/name_u], and [name_m]Sven[/name_m] all work in an English-speaking country. In the US I do think a [name_u]Nino[/name_u] would get comparisons to the Spanish word ‘niño’ a lot, but that may not be an issue in Australia. [name_m]Sven[/name_m] also might be strongly associated with the reindeer in Frozen for some children, since it’s not very common in [name_f]English[/name_f] speaking places, but it’s definitely familiar as a name. I know a [name_m]Timo[/name_m] in the US and he doesn’t seem to have any issues with his name, the spelling and pronunciation are very straightforward.

Other ideas could be…
[name_u]Elias[/name_u]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m]
[name_m]Simon[/name_m]
[name_m]Anton[/name_m]
[name_u]Nico[/name_u]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_m]Adam[/name_m]
[name_u]David[/name_u]
[name_u]Noel[/name_u]
[name_m]Dominic[/name_m]

(I don’t know the [name_m]German[/name_m] pronunciations so my apologies if they’re totally different than in English!)

You have some good choices and my favourites are:

[name_u]Dylan[/name_u] - great meaning and solid sound

[name_u]Nino[/name_u] - this is fun and sparky and I think it would be pronounced right

[name_m]Sven[/name_m] - distinctive, but I think a lot of people would have heard of it and could pronounce it

I think [name_m]Timo[/name_m] is cool, but it would probably be pronounced Tim-o not tee-mo?

A few suggestions:

[name_m]Klaus[/name_m]
[name_m]Anton[/name_m]
[name_m]Dominic[/name_m]
[name_u]Toby[/name_u]
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_m]Fynn[/name_m]

(how…does miles work in german?)

love timo, nino and colin from those.

other ideas:
nico
eli
ilia / ilya
elian
yannick
theo
daniel
thamos
corin / koren
dallas

[name_m]Sven[/name_m] is probably the most Germanic on the list and all are easily pronounceable (for this American, at least)

Here are a few more suggestions without R

[name_m]Alois[/name_m]
[name_u]Alwin[/name_u] or Alywn
[name_m]Benno[/name_m]
Hans/ [name_m]Hansel[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugh[/name_m] or [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Kellen[/name_m]
[name_m]Leopold[/name_m] (Leo)
[name_m]Otis[/name_m] or [name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_m]Philip[/name_m]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] / [name_m]Tomas[/name_m]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

Good suggestions above of Felix, Hugo, Dominic and Otto. What about Conrad, Leo, Linus, Oscar, Victor or Patrick? Otto and Conrad would probably give the most German vibe of those in Australia.

I am rusty on my German but have grown up with it since about 13years ago and then depression and an ex that disliked me using a different language.

Names I beleive are similar in both accent/can cross the language barrier -
Flynn
Finn / Fynn (according to Nameberry Fynn is the popular spelling in Germany?)
Luca
Conan
Oscar / Oskar
Jonas
Jasper
Torben
Alexei / Alec
Nico
Lars ( Alaric is on my list, my Grandfather pronounces it similar/same but have also heard it little different in stronger accents but the NN works)
Marc / Mark
Frederick
Henrich / Henrick / Henric
Ivan
Kris
Matteo (but some accents say it slightly different but it’s not a huge write off difference- IMO)

Thanks for the great comments and cool suggestions. From the new suggestions [name_u]Toby[/name_u], [name_m]Anton[/name_m] or [name_m]Benno[/name_m] are some that we like most and could be options too… currently thinking most about [name_m]Timo[/name_m] and [name_u]Dylan[/name_u] from initial list… although can‘t get short names ending in -o out of my head …

[name_m]Timo[/name_m]
[name_u]Dylan[/name_u]
[name_m]Benno[/name_m]
[name_u]Toby[/name_u]
[name_m]Anton[/name_m]
[name_u]Nino[/name_u]

:thinking:

Middle name will most likely be [name_m]Frederik[/name_m] (to honour family)

[name_u]Miles[/name_u] (brother) is definitely not used much in [name_m]German[/name_m] speaking countries, that’s correct … but the word/name is known enough that it isn’t mispronounced and there’s also no different [name_m]German[/name_m] pronounciation of it apart from maybe the potential nickname [name_u]Milo[/name_u] is pronounced ‚me-lo‘ in German… however hasn’t been used in our case.

[name_f]My[/name_f] [name_f]English[/name_f] pronunciation is probably wrong since I recognise that I have problems in pronuncing it and I have no idea of how some names are read in [name_f]English[/name_f]. (I am Italian).
And I don’t know [name_m]German[/name_m], but:

[name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_m]Moritz[/name_m]
[name_u]Enzo[/name_u]
[name_m]Matteo[/name_m]
[name_m]Victor[/name_m] / [name_m]Viktor[/name_m]
[name_m]Paul[/name_m]
[name_m]Malo[/name_m]
[name_m]Soren[/name_m]
[name_u]Henry[/name_u]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
Alex(ander)