Help!! Second guessing Maxwell.

We decided on [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] [name_m]Alan[/name_m] for a boy and [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] [name_f]Justine[/name_f] for a girl. I really like both names, but I’m having a panic moment about [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m]! I’m worried it’s too common or trendy. Does that really matter? Any other suggestions?! I’m just worried there will be 5 [name_u]Max[/name_u]'s in every class with all the different [name_u]Max[/name_u] names combined. Help!

[name_m]Maxwell[/name_m]'s a great name and so is [name_u]Max[/name_u] ([name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Silvia[/name_f] too! It’s a valid and pretty spelling, are you ready for everyone to want to spell it [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] though? [name_m]Just[/name_m] be prepared). I wouldn’t worry too much - can you get more data from your local area to really find out? I feel like [name_u]Max[/name_u] might be on a bit of a decline - not that you shouldn’t use it, just if it is, that should give you some relief. I mean, I think having the same name as someone in your class is not always the catastrophe that name forums would have you believe. I have personal experience with that, and am fine with my name.

Anyway, I digress. Use [name_u]Max[/name_u]/[name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] if your love for the name outweighs the anxiety, don’t if it doesn’t. What draws you to [name_u]Max[/name_u]/[name_m]Maxwell[/name_m]? The punchiness of [name_u]Max[/name_u]? The X? the M? The flow? Some initial suggestions to rattle off (some of them themselves quite popular) are [name_m]Jack[/name_m], [name_m]Jackson[/name_m] nn [name_m]Jack[/name_m], [name_m]John[/name_m] nn [name_m]Jack[/name_m], [name_u]James[/name_u] nn [name_m]Jack[/name_m], [name_u]Micah[/name_u], [name_u]Michael[/name_u], [name_m]Dashiell[/name_m], [name_m]Xavier[/name_m], [name_m]Felix[/name_m]. Good luck!

You could always use [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] and allow him to use a different nn or his full name if there are too many boys going by [name_u]Max[/name_u] in his class. I have an acquaintance whose little [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] goes by [name_m]Wells[/name_m].

I love [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] & [name_u]Max[/name_u] so personally wouldn’t worry about it. Good idea to check how many kids are getting this name in your area.

Thanks! Picking a name is so hard! So many things to consider. Really thinking that loving the name is more important than choosing a name we don’t love just to make it unique.

I’ve taught some Maxes over the years, but never a [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] or [name_m]Maxfield[/name_m], etc.

I think [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] is a great choice. He can use his full name or go with [name_u]Max[/name_u] as it suits him.

It reminds me of comforting [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] coffee and also the word well in it makes it sound positive and energetic.

[name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] isn’t my style, but I love [name_u]Max[/name_u] and personally would just go with that. Although I guess if you have your heart set on [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m], then go for it! It sounds great with [name_f]Silvia[/name_f]. :slight_smile: It does have a trendy feel to it but I don’t think it’s as popular as some think. I’ve never met or come across a [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m].

[name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] and [name_u]Max[/name_u] are not my style; I immediately thought of the coffee and the little boy from the movie Liar Liar starring [name_m]Jim[/name_m] [name_u]Carrey[/name_u].

But if you love it, you should use it. I like that one poster mentioned the nn. [name_m]Wells[/name_m], I think that is adorable!

I have a [name_u]Max[/name_u] and it is a name that I know a lot of, when you count all the Maxwells and [name_m]Maximus[/name_m]’ too. However, I know [name_u]Max[/name_u]'s from age 60 to age 3 and don’t really know any the same age. So in my small town I don’t think there are any my son’s age so he will most likely be the only [name_u]Max[/name_u] in his class. I love solid, traditional, masculine boys names and would rather have a name that is a little popular/common (ie [name_u]Max[/name_u], [name_m]Ben[/name_m], [name_u]Sam[/name_u] etc) but that will stand the test of time and sounds too trendy.