HELP! Suggestions welcome, struggling to fall in love with a name

Hi All,

Just hoping for some help /suggestions on girl names that go with a surname starting with R that also has an L in it.

I am 30 weeks along and have been researching since we have found out that we are having a girl, but have not fallen in love with any of the names yet. To further complicate matters not every name that I like goes with my husband’s surname that starts with R and has an L in it. We have shortlisted a few, but my heart is not set on any… so looking for some help with suggestions.

We like classy, but not very popular names. Our options so far:

• Adeline (Addy) - like it, but concerned about people not getting this right, especially that there are two accepted ways of pronouncing it.

• Amelia / (Amy) - like it, but waay to popular at the moment

• Audrey

• Aurora - nice name, but does not go with the surname, as it becomes a bit of a tongue twister

• Callie

• Eliana / (Ellie)

• Rosalie/Roslyn - like it, but have the same issue as with Aurora

• Eleanor (Ellie) - like it, but have the same issue as with Aurora

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite is [name_f]Callie[/name_f] from your list, or maybe [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] since it has no L sounds. Maybe you might like Susannah/Suzie, [name_f]Heidi[/name_f], [name_f]Esme[/name_f], [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] or [name_f]Celia[/name_f]?

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite of your list is [name_f]Adaline[/name_f], very classy and adorable. [name_f]Callie[/name_f] is a close second
here are some of my favorite names incase you like any
[name_f]Kinsley[/name_f]
[name_u]Hadley[/name_u]
[name_u]Atlas[/name_u]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_u]Blair[/name_u]
[name_f]Arwen[/name_f]
[name_u]Nova[/name_u]
[name_u]Aspen[/name_u]
[name_u]Fallon[/name_u]
[name_u]Harlow[/name_u]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]

1 Like

I really like [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] and [name_f]Eliana[/name_f].

[name_f]Aviana[/name_f]
[name_f]Avia[/name_f]
[name_u]Avery[/name_u]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f]
[name_f]Esther[/name_f]
[name_f]Ora[/name_f]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Evelina[/name_f]

1 Like

Because of the last name I would rule out Rosalie and Aurora. I’m going to rule out any ones you expressing reservations over. If you really loved them, that wouldn’t matter so much.

So that leaves:
Audrey
Callie
Eliana

All 3 are beautiful, classic names with a lot of potential.

Eliana is classic and trendy at the same time. It has history but also fits in the younger generation. I know you didn’t want popular, and even though Eliana isn’t ranked too high on its own. Once you account for spelling, it is actually a T50 name. And the nickname Ellie is also very popular. This would be on par with the name Amelia in terms of popularity. And with all the similar names / spelling variations, she will often be correcting her name. (Ex. "Eliana…no just one “L”.)

Callie is actually a T100 name when you account for the spelling. It is also a name that comes in many different spellings and pronunciations, so even though this is the standard one, she may still be correcting people and have some issues in that regard. (Ex. "Cal-ee not Cuh-lee. With a “C” not a “K”.)

Audrey is also popular, but less than the other 2. It’s also so classic it never feels trendy. And when the name is said most people will know what it is / how it is spelled. The next alternative is Audree but it only went to 101 babies in 2019, so that’s the outlier compared to the standard. So it won’t cause any issues in that area like Eliana or Callie might. Only chance it may get mistaken for Aubrey at times, but people know these are different names.

I’m not trying to make the decision for you, I want to help you look at the names in a way that helps you find what you do / do not like about them. And then you can find the name you really love.

Based on this things, I would personally pick Audrey, it is the most classic, least popular, and with less variety. But each name has it’s beauty and drawbacks. None of these would be a bad choice. Just trust your instinct.

This is where I got the spelling rankings from:

6 Likes

Maybe you would like [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]? However, I don’t know whether it sounds fine with the surname,

1 Like

From your list, my favorites are [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. I’ll vote for [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] out of those since it’s the only one of the three you didn’t express reservations about. For suggestions, maybe…

[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Edie[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Hattie[/name_f]
[name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_f]Leah[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_f]Mariela[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Natalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Simona[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_f]Susannah[/name_f]

1 Like

I really like [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] and [name_f]Callie[/name_f] from your list.

You might like

[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Evelina[/name_f]
[name_f]Tallulah[/name_f]
[name_u]Florence[/name_u]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Hallie[/name_f]
Cassie/Cassandra
[name_f]Lilliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Melanie[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]

1 Like

I had been in the same boat as you right from when I found out I was pregnant until now (I’m 32 weeks now dont know the sex but found girls names the hardest)
The first name that sprang to mind for you was [name_f]Leonore[/name_f] or [name_f]Leonora[/name_f]

1 Like

Warmest congratulations, @conceslao!

If you like [name_f]Adeline[/name_f], you may like [name_f]Millicent[/name_f].

If you like [name_f]Amy[/name_f], you may like [name_f]Emily[/name_f].

If you like [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], you may like [name_f]Nora[/name_f].

If you like [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], you may like [name_f]Margaret[/name_f].

If you like [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], you may like [name_f]Clarinda[/name_f].

2 Likes

[name_f]Welcome[/name_f] to Nameberry! You have a nice list but considering your criteria of not wanting overly popular it feels like there are litttle Addys and Ellies everywhere, just something to consider. Thinking of classy but not too popular, I love the suggestions of [name_f]Esme[/name_f] (a favourite), [name_f]Elena[/name_f], [name_f]Esther[/name_f], [name_u]Aspen[/name_u], and [name_f]Susannah[/name_f]. Suggesting…

[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
[name_f]Audra[/name_f]
[name_f]Noemi[/name_f]
[name_f]Sabine[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_f]Justine[/name_f]
[name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] or [name_f]Margot[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_f]Audrey[/name_f] seems to me like the best balance between classy and not tooo popular. Gorgeous name!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] aunt’s name was [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], she was an angel. Everyone who knew her loved her. [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] is sweet, elegant, old-fashioned but beautiful all at the same time. It works for babies and ages well.

1 Like

Thank you. I liked [name_f]Esme[/name_f] too, but my husband isn’t set on it for some reason.

[name_f]Adeline[/name_f] and [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] were probably my favourites, followed by [name_f]Amelie[/name_f], but the fact they are so popular is putting me off a little bit. I am also not that set on [name_f]Addy[/name_f] as the shortened version. Thank you for your feedback!

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] is my husbands favourite. It is also the name of my auntie, and I keep telling him that I would find that weird : naming my child after my aunt, especially that we aren’t close, but he sees no issue with it… So still debating about this one :slight_smile:

Thank you for such a detailed response. You have captured my reservations with all of them really well. I think overall that is why I am struggling, because pretty much none of the ones on my list fit 'perfectly", all have some minor nuances to be considered, and therefore I am ending up overthinking it even more.
It is such an important decision, and it feels like ‘compromising’ on the options isn’t the right thing to do here.

Thank you :relaxed:

I really liked [name_f]Alice[/name_f] - it was one of our top contenders until we had a baby in the family with that name. Also like [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], which is almost sounding like a variation to [name_f]Alice[/name_f]. Would the shortened version be [name_f]Lizzy[/name_f]?

1 Like

I like [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Amelie[/name_f] and [name_f]Liliana[/name_f] from your list, but they are quite high up the popularity list here in the UK. Thank you!

1 Like