HELP! Suggestions welcome, struggling to fall in love with a name

Interesting enough, it was one of the first names that came to my mind as well, but I fill like we will run into the same issue where the full name is becoming quite difficult to pronounce.
What would be the shortened version of [name_f]Leonora[/name_f]?

What about
[name_f]Calliope[/name_f]
[name_u]Aubrey[/name_u]
[name_f]Gracelyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Lenora[/name_f]
Orieve

these are just a few I can up with
From your list, [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_f]Adeline[/name_f], [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] and [name_f]Callie[/name_f] would be my top picks

1 Like

Congratulations!
Your short list is beautiful but I understand your feelings around popularity and sounding good with your last name

I feel like we have similar styles so I will suggest
[name_f]Annalise[/name_f] or [name_f]Annabel[/name_f] (Anna) - depending on your last name

[name_f]Amalia[/name_f] - same feel as [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] but wildly less popular [name_f]Ama[/name_f], [name_f]Amy[/name_f] , [name_u]Mal[/name_u], [name_f]Lia[/name_f], [name_f]Mali[/name_f] could all work as nicknames

Audra/ [name_f]Audrina[/name_f]- combines the core of the beautiful [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] but mixes it up so it’s less common

[name_u]Auden[/name_u]- similar to [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] but literary like the poet

[name_u]Ariel[/name_u]- not sure if this works with your last name or feels too singsongy.

[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]- [name_u]Clemmy[/name_u], [name_u]Clem[/name_u], [name_f]Tiny[/name_f] , [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] , [name_m]Lemmy[/name_m] could all be nicknames. Feels similar to [name_f]Callie[/name_f] but distinct and less popular in real life

[name_f]Alina[/name_f] could be a substitute for [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] . There are some really great names that are close to [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] including [name_f]Alana[/name_f], [name_f]Lena[/name_f], [name_f]Elaine[/name_f], [name_f]Elise[/name_f]

[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] is classic and beautiful like [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. It also has lots of nickname potential. Other names that feel similar [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f], [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] , [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_f]Lena[/name_f], [name_f]Nora[/name_f], [name_f]Norma[/name_f] , [name_f]Leah[/name_f]

[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] is my favourite but it might sound singsongy with your last name. Would another flower name could be a substitute: [name_f]Viola[/name_f] , [name_f]Azalea[/name_f], [name_f]Delphine[/name_f], [name_f]Daphne[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f] , [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] , [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] , [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] , [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f], [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] , [name_f]Lavender[/name_f], [name_f]Petunia[/name_f]

2 Likes

Agree with the above posters that it feels like [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] & [name_f]Callie[/name_f] are the ones to focus on from your own list

Other ideas (any repeats are seconds):
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Sofia[/name_f]
[name_u]Avery[/name_u]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_u]Romilly[/name_u] / [name_u]Romy[/name_u]
[name_f]Cassie[/name_f]
[name_f]Tallulah[/name_f]

1 Like

Thank you :relaxed:

Thank you, that is exactly my issue. [name_f]Esme[/name_f] is on my favourites list, but my husband isn’t set on it. Maybe it sounds too french for him, and as we do not have any connections he cannot picture it?
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] is his favourite, but it is my aunt’s name, and I would feel a bit odd naming my child after her, (even if it is not the case), especially that we aren’t particularly close. We also have an [name_f]Esther[/name_f] and a [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] close in the family.
I like Amelie/Amelia, but it is very popular at the moment here in the UK.

A lot of votes for [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] :slight_smile:
[name_f]My[/name_f] first associations with [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] are: [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] Hepburn & [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] Tautou. Coincidentally my midwife is also called [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes, agreed.

Thank you for your suggestions!

I think I prefer [name_f]Callie[/name_f] as the full version to [name_f]Calliope[/name_f].
I also line Lenore/Leonora, but not sure what would the shortened version be?

1 Like

Thank you! I like [name_f]Alina[/name_f] from your list. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband likes [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], but [name_f]Cathy[/name_f] isn’t my favourite. I would also probably prefer [name_f]Catriona[/name_f].

I also like [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], but such a shame it will not work.I like Yvy from the floral list, but it is again, very popular here :frowning:

1 Like

Thank you!

Romilly/Romy was one of my top favourites, but again it is becoming a challenge with a surname that starts with R and has an L in it…

If it wasn’t for the surname, it would probably be a close call between [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] and [name_u]Romilly[/name_u].

1 Like

[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] could be [name_f]Kate[/name_f] , [name_f]Katie[/name_f] , [name_u]Ren[/name_u], [name_u]Kit[/name_u] , [name_f]Cat[/name_f] ! Lots of variants !!
[name_f]Catriona[/name_f] is gorgeous!!

1 Like

I don’t think people would automatically shorten [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] to [name_f]Lizzy[/name_f], but you could definitely use that as a nickname if you wanted to! Also [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] or [name_f]Liza[/name_f].

1 Like

Congratulations!

You’ve had tons of suggestions & feedback from the berries but I thought I would provide some thoughts as well.

Firstly I understand why your struggling naming is actually really hard. I’m a complete name nerd but when the reality came off naming my daughter (born 3.2.21) I struggled and I was lucky that I had this community to help me. You will eventually find the perfect name but it is so so hard!

[name_f]Adeline[/name_f] ~ this is a very pretty but I think as you have hesitations concerning pronunciation I would remove from your short list you just don’t feel confident in this choice.

[name_f]Amelia[/name_f] ~ this is a lovely name but yes very popular and if popularity is an issue I would also remove this name from your shortlist.

[name_f]Audrey[/name_f] ~ absolutely love this name you’ve not mentioned any issues so I’m thinking that maybe this is a winner & works with your surname. [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] is elegant with this old school Hollywood glamour vibe. Such a great name. Definitely keep!

[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] ~ I think because you’ve said it doesn’t work with your surname I would remove from your list.

[name_f]Callie[/name_f] ~ this is a sweet happy name with a friendly laid back vibe. I would definitely keep on your shortlist.

[name_f]Eliana[/name_f] ~ she’s very feminine with a sweet romantic vibe. I think [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] is a great pretty choice. I would keep on your list.

Rosalie/Roslyn ~ I absolutely love [name_f]Rose[/name_f] variants including these two however if she doesn’t work with your surname I wouldn’t have on your short list.

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] ~ again I really love this name but if it’s a similar thoughts to [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] then I wouldn’t have on your short list.

Personally from this list I would keep [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], [name_f]Callie[/name_f] & [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] with my favourite being [name_f]Audrey[/name_f].

If your not sure on your list and want more suggestions here are some ideas that could work and count any repeats as me being in agreement with the berries

[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Coraline[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Ella[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Heidi[/name_f]

1 Like

I adore [name_f]Audrey[/name_f]! [name_f]My[/name_f] other thought was [name_f]Elena[/name_f] or maybe [name_f]Elise[/name_f]?

1 Like

Thank you for all the suggestions and your feedback.

I love Adeline, the pronunciation issue concerns me a lot, especially not being sure how people would refer to it ( Adda-line (as in Caroline) or Adda-leen (as in Emmeline).
I feel like poor girl would end up needing to spell it out every time.

I love Caroline, Alice, Eliza, Lily and Ella from your list. All names I have took a note of, though my husband was definitely not keen on Caroline. I think it is so pretty! My baby niece is Charlotte. :slight_smile: Also lovely!

1 Like

Audrey is getting so much positive feedback! I personally prefer Elise, as it is similar to the name we also liked: Alice. It has sadly since been taken/used by someone in the family already, so became a no option for us :unamused:

My husband loves Elena:

Maybe Lee? Theres a thread where you can ask for nicknames

2 Likes

I have a cousin that goes by [name_m]Leo[/name_m] which iv always loved for a girl. Other options, Leigh,Nora,Nori, I love an elegant name with a spunky nickname, gives it a bit of edgy and lots of personality

1 Like

What about Avilia?