Help! Theodore/Ted/Teddy/Theo

This name is on my short list. DH is not sold yet. So, I’m trying to see what people’s first impressions of the name are… maybe I’m too close to it?
If you met a child named [name]Theodore[/name] nn [name]Ted[/name]/[name]Teddy[/name]/[name]Theo[/name], what would you think? [name]Do[/name] you see it as a name that grows with you? (child, teen, adult?)

Please be brutally honest! If you hate it, that’s fine! [name]Just[/name] tell me why please :slight_smile:

I absolutely love this name and I can’t see anyone disagreeing on this classic that has serious style. I love all of the nicknames for [name]Theodore[/name]-- [name]Ted[/name], [name]Teddy[/name] and [name]Theo[/name], so once your little [name]Theodore[/name] is here you would be able to choose which one fit him best. I think the name definitely ages well because it has so many options. It’s cute on a child as well as very sophisticated on an adult. The perfect combination!

Um…Dr. Seuss. That’s another [name]Theodore[/name] connection - well, [name]Theodor[/name], but who cares? - that we all should agree is awesome. Especially because he came up with Thing 1 and Thing 2 and they just scream “twins,” right? :wink:

PS http://appellationmountain.net/2008/10/24/name-of-the-day-theodore/

I’m not a big fan of [name]Theodore[/name], honestly. I just find it rather overreaching and grandiose in its full version. It also doesn’t help that I really dislike the “thee” sound, so obviously [name]Theo[/name] isn’t my favorite. I do, however, like [name]Teddy[/name], so I could warm to a [name]Theodore[/name] nn [name]Teddy[/name]. Especially if [name]Theodore[/name] was a family name or something.

thank you all so far

[name]Lemon[/name]- thank you for the link. I love reading that blog-- I think i’ve read the [name]Cordelia[/name] entry like 6 times. There is a [name]Jessamine[/name] one too.

As someone who is about to have a [name]Theodore[/name], I sympathize with wanting to sell it to your husband. At first [name]Henry[/name] was the name I was really sold on with [name]Theodore[/name] in second, but now if I had to choose one, I think [name]Theodore[/name] would be the winner. It just keeps growing on me. It’s a strong, classic, and underused name. It has just as much history as something like [name]William[/name], but you get the plus of probably having the only little [name]Theodore[/name] on your block. I just love everything about it, including all three nicknames. [name]Theo[/name] is cool, [name]Ted[/name] is retro in a Mad Men sort of way, and [name]Teddy[/name] is just flat out adorable. I plan on calling my [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Teddy[/name], but I’m perfectly ok with him going by [name]Theo[/name] or [name]Ted[/name] if he wants to down the line.

[name]Theodore[/name] is just a real winner (:

[name]Add[/name] me to the “love it” list – I think [name]Theodore[/name] is a great name, and I [name]LOVE[/name] the nicknames [name]Ted[/name] and [name]Teddy[/name]. Oddly enough, the nickname [name]Theo[/name] is on the other end of the spectrum for me – I really don’t like it at all, but I can’t explain why.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Theodore[/name]! It’s on my short list nn [name]Theo[/name], possibly [name]Teddy[/name] as a child. It’s a classic and underused [name]IMO[/name].

I love it!

I adore this name! It was my top choice if this baby had been a boy, but my husband wasn’t sold at all. My favorite nn is [name]Theo[/name], but love [name]Teddy[/name], as well!

Thank you again. I just wanted to say that I did get my DH on board w/ this name. It took a while for him to realize the name was so much more than “[name]Alvin[/name]'s little chipmunk brother” I think the real turning point was when I started collecting [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Roosevelt[/name] quotes and convinced him this is a great namesake :slight_smile: So for those who like it and their DH doesn’t (yet), maybe try that!

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Theodore[/name]! Esp nn [name]Teddy[/name]! I also love [name]Thor[/name] and [name]Tor[/name] as nicknames :smiley:

My sister named her son [name]Theodore[/name], and I always thought of the great American President, TR! (NOT the chipmunk!) We call him [name]Ted[/name] and [name]Teddy[/name]. I love the formal name with any of the nicknames.