Help ! thoughts on same first and last name ? cool or a no-go

what would you think if you met someone with the first last and first name ?

I know of people name George George and so forth, but what do you think ? Would it pass?

Thoughts?

Personally it’s not something I’d do but there’s nothing actually stopping you from doing it. I’d just stop & think how the child will feel growing up or when they’re older going for job interviews etc. & do the doorstop test before making a final choice.

It’s a no-go, sorry

3 Likes

I love it!! It certainly sets a child on a certain path - more creative, less mainstream - but if that’s already your vibe, then I assume any plan B names are also in the same category. I’d love to meet someone named [name_m]Seven[/name_m] [name_m]Seven[/name_m].

I have known people with the same first and last name, and it always strikes me as memorable but silly. Not that it’s the person’s fault, but I do side-eye their parents a bit. If you’re in the US, nothing can technically stop you but it’s worth considering that your child may not always live in a creative urban city or appreciate the attention that a name choice like this brings to their life. Maybe as a middle name?

1 Like

I’m gonna say no on this as someone who likes unusual names. It’s also really linked with Stranger Things and I personally am against tying a child to a fandom for life so I would find more subtle ways to honor a favorite fandom.

For a pet? Sure. Not so much for a human.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] my 2 cents.

Memorable but silly is a good way to phrase it.

2 Likes

No. It would be confusing for other people - most (if not all) people looking at a form would assume a typo - then you or your child would have to explain it, every single time.

I know only one person with the same first and last name (she took her husband’s last name at marriage) and they’re actually different Chinese characters, even though they’re pronounced the same. I’ve never heard of anyone given the same first and last - does it really happen now?

Definitely a no-go. To me it sounds more like a robot or machine than a person… It’s something that only someone extremely, extremely bold and brave could wear, regardless of where you live, and if your child ends up being someone with a shyer personality, a name that raises eyebrows every single time they introduce themselves could be very hard to live with.

I’m not a fan, it simply feels lazy to me. I know a [name_m]Henry[/name_m] McHenry, and I just feel like his parents were too lazy to decide on a different name and just went with what they already had.

I used to look for these names in movie credits!
They are fun to look for and I always wonder why the parents used them or if they’re stage or fake names. They’re interesting for sure and I think it could make an amazing character name for a book…you could give quite the quirky backstory as to how they ended up with the name.
I personally wouldn’t do it for a real human child but would love to hear what you’ve come up with!

It’s a no from me, I find them silly. I think they make good character names for a TV show, film or book, but not for a real person.

I grew up with someone who had the same last name and first name. It isn’t cool. It is even worse than naming someone [name_m]Steve[/name_m] [name_m]Stevenson[/name_m] or [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Johnson[/name_m].

I would absolutely not do it. I work with people who have sort of kitschy names (same names as celebrities, or [name_f]Marvel[/name_f] heroes, or rhymey names like [name_f]Polly[/name_f] Fawley), and the amount of lighthearted jokes that go around… there’s never anything with ill intent but I would never do that to my own kid knowing that someone out there could use it as a weapon.

If there was a name I loved too similar to our surname (like [name_m]Jack[/name_m] & Jackson), I think I would use [name_m]Jack[/name_m] as a nn potentially in our family but I wouldn’t do [name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_m]Jackson[/name_m].

There are so many amazing Names that I physically could not do that !

Knew someone with the same first and last name. She loathed it and had trouble with official documents etc. People didn’t believe that that could be her legal name.

Its a no for me. Ive known people named things like Mark Marks. And personally it just doesnt make sense to me, if you loved the name Mark its already in their name, if you wanted to honor a Mark, its already in their name…I just cant come up with a good reason to double up on the name if that makes sense.

Though I will admit this is purely personal style. There isnt anything ‘wrong’ about it using the name twice. It just isnt my style

Unfortunately, I’ve seen and met some people with similar names to [name_m]George[/name_m] [name_m]George[/name_m], [name_m]George[/name_m] [name_m]Jorge[/name_m], [name_m]George[/name_m] [name_m]Smith[/name_m] [name_m]Smith[/name_m] (because both parents’ surnames was Smith) or even [name_m]George[/name_m] [name_m]Louis[/name_m] [name_m]George[/name_m] [name_m]Smith[/name_m]. Another identical scenario is naming a girl [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] [name_f]Annette[/name_f] [name_m]Thompson[/name_m] or [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_m]Brown[/name_m].

To me, it is a big hard no. I think it is a very lazy, strange, impulsive, bad choice. Honestly, it gives me the idea that those parents didn’t even mind to select a name for their child and they registered the first random idea that crossed their mind. At the same time, in these cases, I feel that the parents also didn’t consider the impact of their decision on their son’s life. The situation is truly confusing.

When tradition or legislation demand the use of patronymics, that’s a different situation and I can understand the decision. For example, if [name_m]Ivan[/name_m] Belov and [name_f]Irina[/name_f] Belova wish to name their son after his father and give him the first name [name_m]Ivan[/name_m]. In consequence, baby Ivan’s full name is going to be [name_m]Ivan[/name_m] Ivanovich Belov. In this case, the first and middle name similarity works because that’s the naming tradition and it will be a common scenario in that culture. It’s the equivalent to register a boy as [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]Bingham[/name_m] [name_m]Jr[/name_m]. or [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Foster[/name_m] III.

I think it can and does pass. It feels a little weird but definitely memorable.

For me my name list is so long that if one of the names I loved was going to be used as the last name anyway I’d rather get the chance to use another name I love with it vs using the same name twice!