Help! thoughts on the name Sonny? + a vote on MN

Help! Baby boy is here and … getting older… and nameless and I’d love some feedback.
We love the name Sonny. Truly do love it and feel like it has some vintage charm, but my family has some concerns.

• Is it too nicknamey for a given name? Many “Sonnys” have a different given name and it is only a nickname. But we know this is what we want to call him, so we’re thinking about just going with it!
• Does it sound too much like the girls’ name Sunny? Will that be hard if people hear his name when he’s introduced, but don’t see it spelled? Or is it common enough that people know the name?

Any other thoughts on pros and cons to Sonny?

Also – middle names!

Sonny Jones
(Jones is the last name of his great-grandfather that he shares a birthday with.
We also find some humor in him being “Sonny J” because his dad’s name is “Jason.” A subtle, sweet tribute to his dad.) Our last name also has an “o” and an “n” in it – so it’s kind of a lot of that “on” sound, but has a lot of meaning.

Sonny Theodore
(No personal connection, but perhaps gives him a reliable “backup” name in case he’d like a more formal name option)

Both middle names?
Sonny Theodore Jones // Sonny Jones Theodore

• Sonny Jones
  • Sonny Theodore
  • Sonny Theodore Jones
  • Sonny Jones Theodore

0 voters

Or should we go back to our old names

• Linus Henry (nn Hal, would never go by Linus)
  • Enzo Theodore
  • Sonny Jones

0 voters

Our other children are Greta Ruby, Eloise Pearl, and Ira Clayburn, if that helps.
I’d love your thoughts or suggestions!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m],
There was a kid I grew up with named Moneir
He went my Mony (which sounds like Sonny)
I think [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] sound too feminine ( just my opinion)
[name_f]Hope[/name_f] I helped

1 Like

[name_u]Sonny[/name_u] is lovely on its own! I think it’s substantial (I’ve known a few) and [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] J is great!

1 Like

I’ve known so many boys named just Sonny!! I don’t think it sounds too nicknamey. either way, nickname names are popular right now so I think [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] fits right in. I think [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] is more well known than [name_u]Sunny[/name_u], and [name_u]Sunny[/name_u] is rarely used on a boys, so I’m sure most people hearing his name will understand he’s a [name_u]Sonny[/name_u]. If you really love the name, I definitely think you should use it.
as for middles, I think [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Jones[/name_m] is sweet! I like the meaning behind [name_m]Jones[/name_m]. It’s fine if it doesn’t sound/flow the best, because he’ll rarely ever go by all three names, and I think meaning is most important anyway. It also fits in nicely with his siblings names.

I do want to say too, that [name_m]Linus[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] fits in so perfect with your other kids names. I really love [name_m]Hal[/name_m] too!!!
(and your children are so wonderfully named!!)

1 Like

I think [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] [name_m]Jones[/name_m] is awesome and don’t think it’s too nicknamey to use. I say go for it!

I’m not a fan of this as a standalone name, in the same way I dislike names like [name_m]Buddy[/name_m] and [name_f]Darling[/name_f]. It feels like your kid even as an adult will have a name that feels overly familiar and a little strange from a power dynamic too. I’m also not sure it goes with the vibe of your kids names which are GORGEOUS and feel more timeless?

But… I love [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] as a nickname for several names (pretty much any of the names ending in -son, like [name_u]Greyson[/name_u], [name_m]Harrison[/name_m], [name_m]Lawson[/name_m], etc) or I’ve heard it as a nickname for [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]. So maybe you can still get there via a different route.

Ultimately though it is so your call… And families come around to names because they fall in love with the child that wears it.

I think [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] is fine by itself, but as you do have some concerns, I would add in [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] as I agree that it gives him a ‘backup’ name. I love [name_m]Jones[/name_m] and I think it’s important to keep the meaningfulness. As you’ve highlighted issues with sounds, I think [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] breaks up the sounds of [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] [name_m]Jones[/name_m] and he can still go by [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] J. Ultimately, I think that [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Jones[/name_m] is the best of all worlds! [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

[name_m]Linus[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]! I prefer [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] as a nickname for [name_u]Anderson[/name_u] or something. :slight_smile:

i’ve known multiple boys named sonny (just sonny) and i think you’ll be fine! you really love it - i think it’s the one.