Help to solve this naming dilemma: nicknames, astronomy, and Aurora

Hi everyone!

I hope you are doing well today!

This week on the new Let Us Name Your Baby blog, Sophie and Claire have been helping to name a sibling to Eva Gray, Ronan Pearse, and Conor Cillian!

There are a number of things to consider:

• Mum is from California and has Mexican family while Dad is Irish
  • they’d love something linked to astronomy
  • it can’t be too popular but it can’t be difficult to wear in the US
  • ideally it has a great nickname.

Aurora is a top considerations but Rory is a big no. Maya is a maybe too but they’re not sure.

So what would you name a sister to Eva, Ronan and Conor with the considerations above?

And as a fun bonus - what would sibling name/s would you add to the set if you could choose anything?

1 Like

I don’t think [name_m]Rory[/name_m] is inevitable for [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], especially if you plan to introduce her with a different nickname from the start – but it sounds like Dad would prefer to veto [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] completely just to avoid even the possibility of [name_m]Rory[/name_m]. Moving it to the middle spot makes perfect sense. [name_m]Or[/name_m], might [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] be an alternative? Although it’s not the same thing in astronomy, it’s still a literal translation. And I love it with [name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] and [name_m]Conor[/name_m].

3 Likes

The one name that immediately came to mind was [name_f]Selene[/name_f]! In Greek Mythology, [name_f]Selene[/name_f] is the goddess of the moon

I also don’t think [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] will inevitably be nicknamed [name_m]Rory[/name_m], but it’s enough of a possibility that I would table it for now. [name_f]Love[/name_f] the suggestion of [name_f]Fia[/name_f] / [name_f]Fiadh[/name_f] from [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] and [name_f]Clare[/name_f]!

With the considerations above, I’d name a sister to [name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_m]Ronan[/name_m], and [name_m]Conor[/name_m]:

[name_f]Celeste[/name_f] / [name_f]Celestia[/name_f]
[name_f]Elara[/name_f]
[name_f]Selena[/name_f] / [name_f]Celina[/name_f] (nn Lenny?)
[name_f]Carina[/name_f]
[name_f]Galatea[/name_f] / [name_f]Galilea[/name_f]
[name_f]Arista[/name_f]
[name_f]Celia[/name_f]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucero[/name_f]
Stelara

For a bonus, I would choose [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] or [name_f]Lara[/name_f] if I could choose anything.

1 Like

For something astronomy- but not aurora-related, do either of you have favorite names of moons, stars, constellations, etc. that might work? Popular ones now include [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] and [name_f]Vega[/name_f] from [name_f]Vega[/name_f] of the [name_f]Lyre[/name_f] (and [name_f]Vega[/name_f], of course, is also Spanish for meadow).

If it were me and I didn’t care about repeating an initial in the sibset, I don’t think I could resist [name_f]Cosima[/name_f], which could have some fun nicknames like [name_f]Cosette[/name_f], [name_f]Coco[/name_f], [name_f]Sima[/name_f], [name_f]Sia[/name_f], etc.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] first thought was [name_f]Luna[/name_f], but maybe that’s too popular? I’d also suggest [name_f]Lyra[/name_f], [name_f]Elara[/name_f], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Celeste[/name_f], [name_f]Carina[/name_f], [name_f]Leda[/name_f] or [name_f]Mira[/name_f].

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f]. [name_m]Easy[/name_m] to pronounce, not too common or too weird, and the name of a constellation. No nickname, but I can’t really see what [name_m]Ronan[/name_m] and Conor’s nicknames would be either :woman_shrugging:

[name_m]Just[/name_m] wanted to chime in to say I have an [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] who is strictly [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], never [name_m]Rory[/name_m]. She knows that is an available option should she want to use it one day but so far no interest and we have also never had others try to call her [name_m]Rory[/name_m]. We get tons of compliments on her name but surprisingly people jump to “oh like the [name_f]Disney[/name_f] princess!” instead of “oh like the northern lights!” which is why my astronomy obsessed husband chose [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] in the first place haha

3 Likes

This is a good point - I wonder if [name_m]Rory[/name_m] is more likely in the US though where [name_m]Rory[/name_m] is more common for girls?
This makes me think [name_f]Aura[/name_f] might be a cool nickname idea?

[name_f]Lovely[/name_f] idea!

These are great! I really like [name_f]Elara[/name_f] for them, and [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] (Cece?)

I do think [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] is perfect - and [name_f]Lara[/name_f] is gorgeous!

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f] is an excellent idea! I think that hits the mark really well. [name_f]Vega[/name_f] is sweet too! (and [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] is fab!)

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f], [name_f]Mira[/name_f], [name_f]Elara[/name_f] and [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] are lovely!

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f] does feel like a great fit! I guess [name_f]Elle[/name_f] (L) could work - or something like [name_f]Lala[/name_f], [name_f]Lyla[/name_f], or something like LJ with a J middle

Thank you for sharing that!! [name_f]Glad[/name_f] to hear she uses her full name and everyone else does too :slight_smile:

I love the ideas of [name_f]Fia[/name_f] [name_f]Estelle[/name_f], [name_f]Estella[/name_f], and [name_f]Alma[/name_f] from the blog post too!

I’d add in the suggestions of: [name_f]Sienna[/name_f], [name_f]Amaya[/name_f], [name_f]Kiera[/name_f] / [name_f]Keira[/name_f], [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], Lenore/Lenora (Lenny)

2 Likes

[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] seems packed with meaning for that family and it’s a very pretty and decidedly feminine name. I don’t think [name_m]Rory[/name_m] is inevitable, like many have said, especially if they nn her [name_f]Aura[/name_f] or [name_f]Auri[/name_f] early on. [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] nn [name_f]Aura[/name_f] feels very natural and very astronomical too!
[name_f]Selena[/name_f] has been suggested and I second it — she said she liked the nickname [name_m]Lenny[/name_m]! Though, Latina here, it would get pronounced differently (se-LEN-uh might be the way to write it?) in Spanish (I think? That’s how it’s pronounced in Portuguese, and my guess’d be that any variation would be on the L). [name_f]Diana[/name_f] fits with the kids and short names too. Have they considered [name_f]Aura[/name_f] on its own? But I realize it may be hard to find a nn for (then again, so are [name_f]Maya[/name_f] and [name_f]Mia[/name_f], and she likes it). Out of astronomy, [name_f]Mila[/name_f]? [name_f]Mika[/name_f] or [name_m]Mica[/name_m] or Micaela/Mikaela? Something along these lines? [name_f]Laila[/name_f] too.

[name_f]Love[/name_f] the suggestion of [name_f]Elara[/name_f] for you. And love the nn [name_f]Aura[/name_f] instead of [name_m]Rory[/name_m]. [name_f]Selene[/name_f] and [name_f]Ciela[/name_f] are lovely too. How about Lani/ [name_f]Lanie[/name_f]? which means ‘skies, heavens’

[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] Borealis could lead to Alis/ [name_f]Alice[/name_f] as an alternative to [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] perhaps?

[name_f]Ayla[/name_f]
[name_f]Dawn[/name_f]
[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_f]Nova[/name_f]
[name_f]Selene[/name_f]

I’m wondering about the name [name_f]Ora[/name_f]. A subtle nod to [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], is multicultural with various meanings, not popular and is short and sweet like [name_f]Eva[/name_f]. It could stand on its own or be a nn for [name_f]Aurora[/name_f].

I want to suggest [name_f]Miranda[/name_f]. It isn’t too popular, it’s the name of a moon, and offers tons of cute nicknames: [name_f]Mira[/name_f] (very close to [name_f]Maya[/name_f], one of Mom’s favorite picks), [name_f]Miri[/name_f], [name_f]Andie[/name_f], maybe even [name_f]Mia[/name_f] (another one mom likes). It also has a great meaning of “wonderful; to be admired”. It follows the 3 syllable, ending in -a pattern like [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] as well.

[name_f]Eva[/name_f], [name_m]Ronan[/name_m], [name_m]Connor[/name_m], and [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] “Mira” sound lovely together.

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f], [name_m]Callum[/name_m], [name_f]Stella[/name_f].