Help us name our future daughter!

We are having a bit of trouble with a girl’s name. Dad is from [name_f]Ireland[/name_f], surname is [name_f]Shannon[/name_f]. Here are my favorites in order with initial thoughts:

1. [name_f]Shea[/name_f] (truly my favorite, but wondering if [name_f]Shea[/name_f] [name_f]Shannon[/name_f] is a mouthful. If it is, can I get over it?)
  2. [name_f]Nora[/name_f] (second favorite, wondering about its longevity)
  3. [name_f]Freya[/name_f]
  4. [name_f]Margot[/name_f]
  5. [name_f]Naoise[/name_f] (nee-sha. We have a son with [name_m]Irish[/name_m] spelling, so not too worried about it being botched in [name_f]America[/name_f], already used to that!)

Open to any feedback and suggestions not listed here that you think I may also like :slight_smile:

2 Likes

[name_f]Shea[/name_f] [name_f]Shannon[/name_f] isn’t hard to say, but it’s not a great sounding combination.
I love [name_f]Nora[/name_f]! And if by “longevity” you mean whether it will age well or end up sounding childish or dated… I think [name_f]Nora[/name_f] will do fine, it’s a timeless name really.
[name_f]Freya[/name_f] and [name_f]Margot[/name_f] are fine, I don’t see any problems with them.
[name_f]Naoise[/name_f] [name_f]Shannon[/name_f] is okay, but it kind of runs into each other, it’s too many -sh sounds.

2 Likes

How about [name_f]Nora[/name_f] [name_f]Shea[/name_f] as a first and middle, or [name_f]Nora[/name_f] [name_f]Shea[/name_f] as a double-barreled first name? I think [name_f]Nora[/name_f] is stunning and timeless, so it will never go out of style.

[name_f]Shea[/name_f] [name_f]Shannon[/name_f] is a bit of a mouthful because of both beginning with Sh. [name_f]Shannon[/name_f] is a lovely surname though and [name_f]Margot[/name_f] and [name_f]Nora[/name_f] both have a lovely flow with it. [name_f]My[/name_f] favourite [name_m]Irish[/name_m] name is [name_f]Oona[/name_f] and maybe you would like it?

[name_f]My[/name_f] daughter has an alliterative name (like [name_f]Lola[/name_f] Lang) and I got over it, I think it’s sweet and got so many compliments from midwives when she was born! I think these are all great names, in order of favourite to least favourite:

1. [name_f]Freya[/name_f]
  2. [name_f]Margot[/name_f]
  3. [name_f]Nora[/name_f]
  4. [name_f]Naoise[/name_f]
  5. [name_f]Shea[/name_f]

What about [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f]? She could possibly go by [name_f]Shea[/name_f] due to the similar-sounding ending?

[name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_f]Margot[/name_f] and [name_f]Nora[/name_f]. Other ideas….
[name_f]Bridget[/name_f]
[name_f]Ciara[/name_f], [name_f]Ceara[/name_f]
[name_f]Cait[/name_f]
[name_f]Caitriona[/name_f] [name_f]Katrina[/name_f]
[name_f]Eilidh[/name_f]. AY lee
[name_f]Fianna[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiadh[/name_f]. FEE ah
[name_f]Keira[/name_f]
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Siobhan[/name_f]. SHA vawn

I love the name [name_f]Margot[/name_f]! It’s so beautiful, elegant and powerful. It would be my choice.
[name_f]Nora[/name_f] sounds wonderful with your last name!
[name_f]Shea[/name_f] and [name_f]Naoise[/name_f] are really sweet but unfortunately I’m not sure if they flow well with the surname.

[name_m]Welcome[/name_m] to Nameberry!

I love [name_f]Shea[/name_f], but [name_f]Shea[/name_f] [name_f]Shannon[/name_f] is more of a mouthful than I would want for myself. It’s possible that you could decide you love it!
[name_f]Nora[/name_f] is beautiful and a timeless classic, so I wouldn’t worry about longevity.
[name_f]Freya[/name_f] is trending right now, so I might worry more about that one being a flash in the pan over [name_f]Nora[/name_f].
[name_f]Margot[/name_f] is great. I tend to think of [name_f]Margot[/name_f] as a Euro/French spelling, and wonder if [name_f]Margo[/name_f] kind of fits better? Either way, great name.
I have no experience whatsoever with [name_f]Naoise[/name_f]. It’s brand new to me. Having some familiarity with [name_m]Irish[/name_m] spellings, I probably would’ve guessed correctly at the pronunciation… but my autocorrect tried to “fix” it to say “Noise”, and once I saw that, I couldn’t unsee it. I wonder if that initial reaction would be common.

I don’t think you need more suggestions, but lists are fun, so here goes:

[name_f]Brynn[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanore[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Maggie[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]

I can’t quite decide if [name_f]Shea[/name_f] [name_f]Shannon[/name_f] is very cool, sparky and distinctly [name_m]Irish[/name_m] or if it’s a bit awkward and gimmicky. I will have to think about it.

[name_f]Nora[/name_f] is charming - warm and sweet - I don’t think it will date - it feels fairly classic

[name_f]Freya[/name_f] is sweet but strong - a solid choice

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] is warm and cuddly but sophisticated too

[name_f]Naoise[/name_f] is gorgeous - distinctive and lovely!

I think [name_f]Naoise[/name_f] is my favourite, followed but [name_f]Margot[/name_f] and [name_f]Nora[/name_f].

I’ll throw in the suggestions of::

[name_f]Una[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]
[name_f]Nessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Nula[/name_f]
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Ciara[/name_f] / [name_f]Keira[/name_f]
[name_f]Keeley[/name_f]
[name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_f]Caoimhe[/name_f]
[name_f]Tressa[/name_f]
[name_f]Annmarie[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Bridget[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonie[/name_f]
[name_f]Cleo[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiadh[/name_f] / [name_f]Fia[/name_f]

[name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_f]Nora[/name_f]

I love [name_f]Shea[/name_f] and I don’t think it’s totally unusable with [name_f]Shannon[/name_f] as a last name. I know a [name_f]Stevie[/name_f] [name_f]Shea[/name_f] and it totally suits them and isn’t something people point out as weird. If you are worried about it being a mouthful when said together remember she’s not always going to be called by her full name. That being said you do have options

Like someone already commented could you double barrel the name or does that take away some of the charm for you?

I love [name_f]Nora[/name_f] [name_f]Shea[/name_f] and think she could go by both and not just [name_f]Nora[/name_f] but you could also do something like [name_f]Shea[/name_f] [name_f]Lyn[/name_f] or [name_f]Shea[/name_f] [name_m]Lee[/name_m]

[name_f]Nora[/name_f] especially, as well as [name_f]Freya[/name_f] and [name_f]Margot[/name_f] are all becoming very popular on the baby name charts being listed at 28, 129 and 193 for 2022 (I’m expecting them to be ranked higher for 2023 but who knows)

Another option which I think could really work but others may find crazy is if you used [name_f]Naoise[/name_f] with the nickname [name_f]Shea[/name_f]. She could go by [name_f]Shea[/name_f] but if her full name is called out with attendance or whatever the reason maybe, it would be [name_f]Naoise[/name_f]. And if the teachers or whoever have trouble saying it she could just say “you can call me Shea.” It gives you the option of getting to use 2 names you love and avoids the repetitive sh of that’s a worry for you

I also have a fairly unique name that is often misspelled and at times mispronounced but I love it and would never want to change it or have ever wished for something more common

If you love [name_f]Shea[/name_f] alone and it’s your number 1 I say use it because it’s a very pretty name and deserves lots of love! [name_f]Shea[/name_f] [name_f]Shannon[/name_f] isn’t a bad name at all (not like you’re naming her [name_f]Shan[/name_f] [name_f]Shannon[/name_f] or [name_f]Shannon[/name_f] Shannon) and I think it’s important to go with what you love over what you think others will think!!

[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Luna[/name_f]
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]

[name_f]Shea[/name_f] is a fine with [name_f]Shannon[/name_f] and if its your favorite then go for it!

I also love, love [name_f]Nora[/name_f]. [name_f]Nora[/name_f] is timeless. Can’t got wrong there!

[name_f]Naoise[/name_f] I feel fights with [name_f]Shannon[/name_f].

I love [name_f]Nora[/name_f]! It’s such a classic name that I think it will do well no matter the age! It’s also fairly common right now, so no one should bat an eye :slight_smile: I think [name_f]Freya[/name_f] and [name_f]Margot[/name_f] are both also great!

Unfortunately, I don’t think [name_f]Shea[/name_f] [name_f]Shannon[/name_f] is a great combo just because of the alliteration, and I think the sh- alliteration is harder than other alliteration sounds.

[name_f]Naoise[/name_f] sounds hard because of th pronunciation difficulties, which you said you aren’t concerned about because you’re used to it with your son. As long as you don’t think your daughter will dislike pronouncing it and spelling it for everyone, I think it’s doable.

I like Margot best and then Nora and probably Freya in third. I might normally pick it over Nora - Freya is fab - but, to my ear, is fast paced leading into Shannon so you get a strong “yah, sha” staccato sound. Nora is a slower name so the “ra” to “sha” isn’t as noticeable. Not sure about Naoise and Shea - agree with above, could be cool, could be too shh shh shhh. Margot also gives you Maggie, Meg, Peggy etc. They all sound awesome with Shannon.

So Margot would be my pick but otherwise, how about:

Tallulah
Daphne
Felicity
Clodagh
Aoife
Riley
Bridget
Lorelei (Rory)
Cara
Aisling (“Ashlin”)
Kayleigh
Darby
Keeley
Rooney
Mary (nn Polly)
Wildcard: Dearblha (I know someone called this! Beautiful meaning and lovely to say once you know how!)

My thoughts on your list…

Shea ~ I think Shea is an outdoorsy fun name that feels truly unisex which makes the name feel fashionable. I think Shea sounds fun with Shann0n but a bit cartoonish.

Nora ~ is gorgeous! Classic, enduring and bright. I think Nora is packed with longevity she’s so timeless and incredibly classic. Nora is so lovely she also sounds great with Shann0n.

Freya ~ a sweet feminine choice that has a fashionable flair with a lovely meaning.

Margot ~ another sweet feminine choice that feels very sophisticated. I think Margot sounds nice with Shann0n especially with the repeated O sound.

Naoise ~ I think this name has a pretty sound and I know is gaining attention in Ireland for girls but she isn’t my favourite.

Personally my favourite is Nora. She’s elegant, classic, honours your child’s Irish heritage and sounds lovely with your surname.

Suggestions:

Niamh
Saoirse
Fiadh
Orla
Caoimhe
Aoife
Bridget
Sylvie
Ciara
Vera
Lorelai
Willa
Florence
Stella
Saffron
Hazel
Bliss

Hope this helps

My personal favourites from your lovely list are Nora and Freya. But I am a big advocate for women using their favourite names for their baby​:blush: Shea Shannon is not bad, just very sh-heavy. I think I would make it a mn, Nora Shea Shannon, Freya Shea Shannon or even Eleanora Shea Shannon :sunny:

For example my absolute favourite baby names rn are Genevieve and Victoria, but I’m not planning to use them as first names, because I am not a big fan of their intuitive nicknames :blush: *

I especially like the name [name_f]Nora[/name_f], but what about using it as a nickname for [name_f]Lenora[/name_f] or [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. Both names that have been around for a long time but are less mainstream?

lovely names!

definitely avoid strong sh- sound in the first name i think, it’s too heavy with shannon. naoise is new to me, but sounds super lovely. it’s not horrible with shannon, but gets tumbled up in the mouth.

nora is great, no idea why you’re worried about longevity since it’s a recent vintage comeback. it’s my top choice for you for sure, and the combo nora shea came to mind before i even saw the names! it could be a double barrel as well, “nora shea!” sounds so cute to my ears.

margot shannon doesn’t sound stellar, and freya and margot both just don’t vibe quite right with shannon.

other berries already gave great suggestions, i have no new ideas so i second theirs

Naoise!!