Help us pick a girl name that goes with Cedric

Hello people of Nameberry!
I am here to ask for your opinions and any suggestions to help us choose a name for our baby girl who will arrive in about two weeks time (no pressure!).

I will share our list, but keep in mind we have not committed to anything on it and we are open to new suggestions, so feel free to give us new ideas if they spring to mind.

We would love a name that sounds cohesive with our son Cedric. We are also partial to a nickname and will call him Ceddy interchangeably, so a cute nickname that sounds good together when we are calling out their names at the playground is a bonus (but not a must). We are not overly bothered about popularity, but it has crossed our minds whether a popular name might sound out of place next to a Cedric, which is so uncommon. As parents, we have quite different naming styles. One of us prefers classic, French names and the other prefers names that are more clunky vintage-but-modern, so our list is a little eclectic.

Without further ado, I present our current short (?) list:

Names with nicknames:

Cedric and Rose = Ceddy and Rosie
Cedric and Florence = Ceddy and Flora (but I donā€™t like Flo, which is a hazard)
Cedric and Camille = Ceddy and Millie (Cami when older)
Cedric and Adele = Ceddy and Della
Cedric and Delphine = Ceddy and Della (Delphine Donkey from Peppa Pig gives us pause on this one)
Cedric and Juliette = Ceddy and Etta (I donā€™t like Jules or Juju)
Cedric and Elise = Ceddy and Elle
Cedric and Victoire = Ceddy and Vivi
Cedric and Clotilde = Ceddy and Tildie

Names without nicknames:

Cedric and Alma
Cedric and Alice
Cedric and Cleo
Cedric and Margaux
Cedric and Clara

We would love to know if thereā€™s any names that stand out to you; either because you really like it or conversely because you donā€™t like it. We donā€™t mind hearing negative feedback about the names weā€™ve shortlisted, so feel free to be as open as you like. And, if you have any other suggestions, please share!

2 Likes

[name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] go really well with [name_m]Cedric[/name_m]. Iā€™m in the US and have seen [name_f]Peppa[/name_f] Pig would not have remembered the donkeyā€™s name.

I really like [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Elise[/name_f]!

From your second list I love [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Cleo[/name_f] and [name_f]Margaux[/name_f]. Really I love all of your second list ones except [name_f]Alma[/name_f]. You canā€™t go wrong!

[name_m]Welcome[/name_m] to Nameberry!

I love [name_m]Cedric[/name_m]! Very handsome. [name_f]Delphine[/name_f], [name_f]Victoire[/name_f], and [name_f]Margaux[/name_f] sound great with [name_m]Cedric[/name_m].

I think [name_f]Camille[/name_f] is the best choice of these.

Others:
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Celia[/name_f] if those arenā€™t too close nn Ceddy and Selli or [name_f]Lia[/name_f]
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Maria[/name_f] nn Ceddy and [name_f]Mari[/name_f]
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Odette[/name_f] nn Ceddy and Detti, [name_f]Etti[/name_f], [name_m]Odie[/name_m]
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Georgette[/name_f] nn Ceddy and [name_f]Etti[/name_f], [name_f]Georgie[/name_f],
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Suzette[/name_f] nn Ceddy and [name_f]Suzy[/name_f], [name_f]Etti[/name_f], [name_f]Zettie[/name_f]
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Tatiana[/name_f] nn Ceddy and [name_f]Tati[/name_f]
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Bettina[/name_f] nn Ceddy and [name_f]Betty[/name_f], [name_f]Tina[/name_f], [name_f]Etti[/name_f]
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] nn Ceddy and [name_m]Opie[/name_m], [name_f]Lia[/name_f], [name_f]Fia[/name_f]

Other shorter ones:

[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Marta[/name_f]
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Brynn[/name_f]
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Sasha[/name_f] mayyybe nn Ceddy and Sash/Sashie

Hopefully these help :slight_smile:

You have a gorgeous list! :blush: I have absolutely nothing negative to say, all of these work!

My favourites with Cedric (such a handsome name!) are

1. Cedric and Victoire. I love-love Victoria, so of course I also love Victoire. :heart_eyes: I think Victoire matches Cedric so good! The letter ā€˜cā€™ brings them together and they both have this elegant, sleek feel.

2. Cedric and Margaux. A very-very chic sibset!

3. Cedric and Clotilde. Ceddy and Tildie are so cute and Clotilde is just so very special! :heart_eyes: Such a gorgeous rare name, Iā€™d loooove to see someone use this!

4. Cedric and Florence. I adore Florence ā€˜Floraā€™ or even ā€˜Fleurā€™ :heart_eyes:. But Iā€™m afraid Flo is kinda inevitableā€¦ But gosh what a stunning name. I love how Florence brings out the nature feel of Cedric. And again- love how the ā€˜cā€™ā€™s bring these beautiful classics together. A very lovely combo.

ā€”ā€”

I adore these too, but just a bit less. They just sound a bit less exciting.

Cedric and Adele - I have such a soft spot for Adele (itā€™s a family name). Adele ā€˜Dellaā€™ has such a dainty porcelain ballerina feel :heart_eyes: Cedric and Clara have the same energy. Dainty and lovely.

Cedric and Delphine - I would have never ever thought of that cartoon! :blush: Delphine is my most adored ā€™not sure if I could use itā€™ name :sob: It sounds exactly like ā€˜dolphinā€™ in my language, so Iā€™m a bit hesitant. But I love it so much! I think of the delphinium flowers. And I recently found out that a celebrity named her daughter Delphine, so perhaps this dolphin thing is not an issue these days.

Cedric and Juliette - Juliette is so romantic :heart_eyes: Juliette brings out the -ric part of Cedric to me and that makes Cedric almost like a knight-name (for some reason I think of names like Theodoric, Richard, Alaric, names with noble gothic vibes) :blush:

Cedric and Camille = Ceddy and Millie are the cutest and Camille is quite beautiful :heart_eyes:

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourites:

[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Florence[/name_f] ā†’ charming, sweet and elegant (Iā€™ll also add that Iā€™ve known a number of Florences, and only one Iā€™ve met has been a [name_f]Flo[/name_f] - and she chose it herself. The others have been mostly just [name_f]Florence[/name_f], but I have known a [name_f]Floss[/name_f] or Flora)

[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Camille[/name_f] ā†’ elegant, sophisticated and gentle

[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Adele[/name_f] ā†’ stylish, unexpected and lovely

[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] ā†’ bright and lively, with sophistication and flair

[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Cleo[/name_f] ā†’ sassy, charming and bubbly

[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Alma[/name_f] ā†’ warm, vintage and cosy but strong

Over all, I think [name_f]Adele[/name_f] and [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] are my favourites over all!

The ones Iā€™m not so keen on:

[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] / [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f] ā†’ not bad names or bad sibsets, but [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f] just donā€™t have the flair of your other sets>

[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Victoire[/name_f] ā†’ just not enjoying these two together personally, [name_f]Victoire[/name_f] feels a bit harsher?

A few other suggestions:

[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] (Essie, [name_f]Tess[/name_f], [name_f]Elle[/name_f], Estee)
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Leonie[/name_f] (Leo, [name_f]Leni[/name_f], [name_f]Lolo[/name_f], [name_m]Lee[/name_m], Oni)
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Josette[/name_f] (Jett, [name_f]Jetta[/name_f], [name_f]Josie[/name_f], Etta)
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Constance[/name_f] (Connie, [name_f]Tansy[/name_f], Caz)
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f] (Mira, [name_f]Miri[/name_f], [name_f]Mab[/name_f], Bel)
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Noemi[/name_f] (Emi)
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] (Izzy, Sol)
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f] (Dolly, Lia)

My faves:

Cedric & Delphine (I might use Phina as well as Della or Delphi - wouldnā€™t think twice re Peppa Pig, Sophie Turnerā€™s second daughter is Delphine - and it was my grandmotherā€™s name if that helps!)

Cedric & Camille

Cedric & Elise (though El names very popular)

Cedric & Margaux (I think the other names on second list overpowered by Cedric)

I love the names Clotilde and Florence but they would probably middle names for me as I donā€™t like risk of Clot/Clotty (not sure anyone would) or Flo/Flossie.

Victoire is awesome but quite intense and sternly, even a tad medieval movie, with Cedric. I also see Vivienne or Genevieve as more natural Vivi names. Adele feels too close to Cedric for me, I much prefer Adelaide (nn Daisy/Lady) anyway.

If not the faves/suggestions so far, I would otherwise go:

Francine (Francy/Franny)
Rosemary (Romy)
Rosamund (Rosy/Romy)
Lenore/Leonore/Leonora
Bernadette
Morgana
Marjorie
Cordelia
Daphne
Bryony

[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f]

What a beautiful list! I can see why youā€™re having a difficult time choosing a name for your little girl.

[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] is a very distinct, charismatic and very handsome name! I would love to see a [name_m]French[/name_m] name next to [name_m]Cedric[/name_m], but international names also work very well.

I love the names [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_f]Florence[/name_f], so they always stand out to me. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f] have also been on my list of favorite names for years!

For Cedricā€™s sister, I also adore [name_f]Camille[/name_f], [name_f]Delphine[/name_f], [name_f]Elise[/name_f], [name_f]Victoire[/name_f] and [name_f]Margaux[/name_f].

Today, my top 3 for you is [name_f]Camille[/name_f], [name_f]Elise[/name_f] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f] (or Rose). I think they sound and look stunning next to your sonā€™s name.

Love Cedric very Harry Potter to me :tulip::purple_heart:

Cedric and Juliet
Cedric and rose
Cedric and Adele
Cedric and Delphine

Some I thought fit from list :purple_heart:šŸ©µ

I adore [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Camille[/name_f], Ceddy & [name_f]Millie[/name_f] :purple_heart: I like many of the names on your shortlist, but thatā€™s my favourite.

Suggestions:
[name_f]Marceline[/name_f] (Marcy, [name_f]Linnie[/name_f], [name_f]Lina[/name_f], [name_f]Mari[/name_f], [name_f]Marli[/name_f]. [name_f]Cece[/name_f] and other Ce- names are lovely, but too close to Ceddy probably.)

[name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] (Tillie, [name_f]Tilda[/name_f], Mattie)

[name_f]Elodie[/name_f] (Dee, [name_f]Didi[/name_f], [name_f]Lola[/name_f], Ellie)

[name_f]Amelie[/name_f] (Millie, [name_f]Ammie[/name_f], Mimi)

[name_f]Leonie[/name_f] (Leo, [name_f]Leni[/name_f], Lily)

[name_f]Esme[/name_f] (Essie, Mae)

[name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] (Greta, [name_f]Margie[/name_f], Margo)

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] is cool!

Here are my thoughts on your list for a little sister:

Rose-So lovely & classic with beautiful imagery. Ceddy & [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] are adorable together.

Florence-I love [name_f]Flora[/name_f] & Ceddy & [name_f]Flora[/name_f] are great. I find [name_f]Florence[/name_f] a bit stuffy, & prefer [name_f]Flora[/name_f] on its own. [name_f]Flo[/name_f] is not my favorite either; not sure how hazardous it is.

Camille-I like [name_f]Millie[/name_f] a lot, but really donā€™t care for [name_f]Cami[/name_f]. Something about it feels like a snooty girl to me. I donā€™t love the sound of [name_f]Camille[/name_f] though much, but itā€™s okay.

Adele-Hm. [name_f]Adele[/name_f] nn [name_f]Della[/name_f] almost doesnā€™t feel natural to me. The nn [name_f]Addie[/name_f] would feel more intuitive, but [name_f]Addie[/name_f] is so over done. [name_f]Adele[/name_f] is okay. I think it sounds kind of abrupt.

Delphine-Ha, I would think [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] Donkey would be a plus! Iā€™ve never seen the show, but people seem to like it. [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] is not my favorite, but itā€™s different.

Juliette-Aw, [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] is so pretty. What about [name_f]Lettie[/name_f]? Maybe too rhyme-y with Ceddy?

Elise-Hm. I love Ellie; not that into [name_f]Elle[/name_f]. [name_f]Elise[/name_f] is okay, but kind of like [name_f]Adele[/name_f] to me. Itā€™s too abrupt for me, but a perfectly nice name.

Vicotoire-Iā€™m not familiar with this name. [name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] though.

Clotilde-Iā€™m not really sure how to say this, but itā€™s kind of too clunky for me.

Alma-I know an [name_f]Alma[/name_f] nn [name_f]Alli[/name_f]! I donā€™t love Alli(e), but Ceddy & [name_f]Allie[/name_f] do feel kind of fun together.

Alice-Love [name_f]Alice[/name_f]. So pretty. Could also do [name_f]Allie[/name_f] here if you like that. [name_m]Or[/name_m] [name_f]Lissy[/name_f]?

Cleo-I like [name_f]Cleo[/name_f]. [name_m]Super[/name_m] cute & spunky. Since [name_f]Cleo[/name_f] doesnā€™t have any nns, what do you think of [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] nn [name_f]Cleo[/name_f]?

Margaux-Hm. I do like this with [name_m]Cedric[/name_m], but itā€™s not my favorite. I have an issue with too much ā€˜clunkā€™ :joy: I think that it does have a natural nn of [name_f]Margie[/name_f] though. I like the idea of [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] nn [name_f]Margot[/name_f] too.

Clara-Love [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. This might be my favorite from your list in general, even if itā€™s not my favorite with [name_m]Cederic[/name_m]. It is quite nick-name-less though.

Sorry for any repeats, but here are a few more ideas that you may likeā€¦

[name_f]Adela[/name_f] nn [name_f]Addie[/name_f]

[name_f]Amelie[/name_f] with no nns, but so pretty

[name_f]Annika[/name_f] nn [name_f]Annie[/name_f]

[name_f]Clementine[/name_f] nn [name_f]Cleo[/name_f] or [name_f]Minnie[/name_f]!

[name_f]Camellia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Millie[/name_f] or [name_f]Callie[/name_f]

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] nn [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] or [name_f]Lulu[/name_f]

[name_f]Estelle[/name_f] nn [name_f]Essie[/name_f] or [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]

[name_f]Frances[/name_f] nn [name_f]Franny[/name_f] or [name_f]Francie[/name_f]

[name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] nn [name_f]Winnie[/name_f]! [name_m]Or[/name_m] [name_f]Gigi[/name_f]

[name_f]Greta[/name_f] nn [name_f]Gerty[/name_f] :heart_eyes: also could do [name_f]Gigi[/name_f]

[name_f]Imogen[/name_f] nn Imee/Idgie/Ginny/Minnie

[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] nn [name_f]Posy[/name_f]

[name_f]Lucille[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lulu[/name_f] or [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]

[name_f]Louisa[/name_f] nn Lulu/Lula/Lola

[name_f]Olive[/name_f] nn [name_f]Livy[/name_f]

[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] nn Penny/Poppy/Polly/Nellie

[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] nn [name_f]Tabby[/name_f]

[name_f]Vivian[/name_f] nn [name_f]Vivie[/name_f]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

[name_f]Love[/name_f] so many of these! What a fabulous list.

On their own, I really like [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Camille[/name_f], [name_f]Elise[/name_f], [name_f]Clotilde[/name_f] (:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:), [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Cleo[/name_f], [name_f]Margot[/name_f] and [name_f]Clara[/name_f].

If it were me, Iā€™d eliminate the C names, because ideally I wouldnā€™t want siblings with the same initial. That leaves [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Florence[/name_f], [name_f]Elise[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Margot[/name_f].

I adore [name_f]Rose[/name_f] but I donā€™t think it quite fits with [name_m]Cedric[/name_m]. Same goes for [name_f]Elise[/name_f] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f].

Both [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and [name_f]Margot[/name_f] go wonderfully imo, but Iā€™m leaning towards [name_f]Florence[/name_f]. However, as [name_f]Flo[/name_f] is an issue for you, I think Iā€™m going to have to advise [name_f]Margot[/name_f].

You have so many lovely options here, I donā€™t envy you this choice. Best of luck :crossed_fingers:

[name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], & [name_f]Clara[/name_f] are all my favorites from your list with [name_m]Cedric[/name_m]. The fact that many of your (wonderful!) names have common nicknames that you donā€™t like gives me pause. For example, I love [name_f]Juliette[/name_f], and [name_f]Etta[/name_f] is a great nickname, but what happens if she has other people call her [name_m]Jules[/name_m]? [name_m]Or[/name_m] if she prefers that when sheā€™s older? [name_m]Just[/name_m] things worth considering when youā€™re trying to narrow down the list. I also noticed that many of your preferred nicknames are not the most intuitiveā€“this is not a negative thing at all, but just something to recognize if you choose the uphill battle of training others to use them. (One that comes to mind would be asking people to call [name_f]Victoire[/name_f] ā€œViviā€, when an older generation is almost certainly going to defer to Vicki.)

But all are truly lovely choices, and youā€™ll figure out which you love the most!

More ideas, just for fun:

[name_m]Brighton[/name_m] (Bright)
[name_f]Claribel[/name_f] (Claire)
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f] (Day)
[name_f]Diana[/name_f] (Di)
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] (Nickname possibilities are practically endless! I like Ceddy & [name_f]Beth[/name_f] together.)
[name_f]Hallie[/name_f] (Hal)
[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] (Belle)
[name_f]Madeline[/name_f] (Madi)
[name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] (Mary)
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] (Pen)
[name_f]Talia[/name_f] (Tal)

I love [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Cleo[/name_f] or [name_f]Elise[/name_f]

Ohhh, [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Adele[/name_f] is dreamy! I also like [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f] (Cedric and [name_f]Cleo[/name_f] is also really fun!). Iā€™m not sure I have any new ideas for youā€¦ just came to shamelessly plug my beloved [name_f]Adele[/name_f] (which I donā€™t see plugged too often on this site haha). I would love to have a little [name_f]Adele[/name_f] ā€œDellaā€ myself one day so I am so happy to see someone who loves her equally!

All the best!