Help...we fell for Quigley

We’re expecting the beginning of [name]April[/name], and I always give the kids some cute little nickname while we’re deciding on the official name. This one squirms a lot so when I came across [name]Quigley[/name] in the name book, I got a giggle thinking Wiggly [name]Quigley[/name]. Problem is…this little nn is actually sticking.

Or should we go for more formal-sounding [name]Quillan[/name] and use [name]Quigley[/name] as a nn? Anyone have suggestions for other names that would work with [name]Quigley[/name] as a nn? Suggestions for other names that are as spunky as [name]Quigley[/name]?

What about [name]Quentin[/name], [name]Quint[/name], [name]Quinn[/name], [name]Quincy[/name]?

[name]Falcon[/name] [name]Quinn[/name] has a nice ring to it?
or [name]Quincy[/name] [name]Gideon[/name] / [name]Gideon[/name] [name]Quincy[/name], then you would get the “G” in there

I know a boy with the last name [name]Quigley[/name], so while it’s kind of strange to me, I think it could work. Surely the name will be fun of, but which name can’t be made fun of? I love all the other names you are considering, by the way (except [name]Westley[/name] – looks awkward and made-up). Have you considered putting [name]Quigley[/name] in the middle name spot?

[name]Falcon[/name] [name]Quigley[/name]
[name]Desmond[/name] [name]Quigley[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name] [name]Quigley[/name]

I am not a fan at all, tbh, sorry! The name of the school bus company that ran my school bus in elementary school was called [name]Quigley[/name]. It just doesn’t sound like a name to me at all. Sorry! I think [name]Quillan[/name] with the nn [name]Quigley[/name]/Wiggly [name]Quigley[/name] is really cute, though.

I really like [name]Desmond[/name] from your options, though, and I think [name]Desmond[/name] would make a respectable name for a man in any career field!

Good luck!

I see why you like it. I really do. But I think it’s just too- I don’t know- cartoony? for a first name. It’s just so [name]QUIGLEY[/name], if that makes sense. I’d use it as a nickname or a middle.

LOL! Exactly! It’s just so [name]Quigley[/name]!

I love the story behind [name]Quigley[/name]- it is so sweet!

I think it would be a fantastic middle name! You would still have it as part of his official name, and when people hear it they will automatically ask you about it and you can share this very adorable story of how [name]Quigley[/name] came to be. And as a middle name, you can avoid all anxiety of people’s unfair reactions.

Thanks so much for your comments, they have helped me think things over! I think I was just so surprised when my family didn’t laugh me off the block for my little nickname that I started to second-guess whether [name]Quigley[/name] really belonged only the nn category where I had him to begin with.

DUH…never really considered putting [name]Quigley[/name] in the middle. Mostly because DH is absolutely set on using his dad’s name [name]Donald[/name] in the middle. I’m not crazy about it as a name but I do admire my FIL so I’m making it work. I’m kind of partial to two middles, and a berry suggested [name]Wesley[/name] [name]Donald[/name] in combination, which we have been considering. Putting [name]Quigley[/name] in the middle guarantees we have to use [name]Quigley[/name] [name]Donald[/name] in combination as the middles. I’m not opposed to that but it’s not as smooth as [name]Wesley[/name] [name]Donald[/name].

Today we have been tossing around the possibility of [name]Quillan[/name] [name]Wesley[/name] [name]Donald[/name] and keeping [name]Quigley[/name] as a nn. The Qu- of [name]Quillan[/name] plus the -ley of [name]Wesley[/name] is making sense to me, and none of the names feel clumsy next to each other. On the downside, with our 2-syllable last name of [name]Tyler[/name] that gives us a 2+2+2+2 tempo which is less than thrilling. (Too bad DH changed his mind on using [name]Donovan[/name] as the nod to FIL… [name]Quillan[/name] [name]Wesley[/name] [name]Donovan[/name] [name]Tyler[/name] is rather swoon-worthy to me).

Other thoughts? Thanks for your help.

I like it! Makes me think of [name]Quigley[/name] down under, the [name]Tom[/name] Selleck Western. [name]Donald[/name] is just…well…[name]Donald[/name].

You know I have been wondering if [name]Quigley[/name] Down Under has an affect on perception about [name]Quigley[/name] as a name. And yeah…[name]Donald[/name] is less than glamorous. Great man, unfortunate name. I’ve been trying to talk DH into using [name]Donovan[/name] or [name]Donnell[/name] or some other [name]Don[/name] name for 8 years but he won’t hear of it; I’ve got to work in [name]Donald[/name] somehow.

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Quillan[/name] [name]Wesley[/name] [name]Donald[/name] nn [name]Quigley[/name]! It seems to be the perfect combination, kind of romantic, but handsome, slightly rugged and [name]Quigley[/name] is just so cute:)

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

I think [name]Quillan[/name] nn [name]Quigley[/name] is a good solution! Go for it!

[name]Glad[/name] to hear you are still considering my combo of [name]Wesley[/name] [name]Donald[/name]! I think [name]Quillan[/name] nn [name]Quigley[/name] is the perfect, you get the nn you love but also sounds refined and respectable when he grows up. I also loved [name]Falcon[/name] for you but it seems you are already very attached to a Q name! As for the [name]Donovan[/name] situation it is a shame as that is a terrific name but I really do think that [name]Quillan[/name] [name]Wesley[/name] [name]Donald[/name] [name]Tyler[/name] is dashing and wonderful even with the 2+2+2+2 syllables.

I really like [name]Quigley[/name] all on its own, but if you want the more refined [name]Quillan[/name] and the nn [name]Quigley[/name] I also like that, and it’s a safer route to go if you are worried about [name]Quigley[/name] being too out there.
[name]Love[/name] the name [name]Desmond[/name] too.

lol Yes, I do seem a bit attached to a Q name! Actually of my short list, DH is liking [name]Quillan[/name], [name]Quigley[/name] and [name]Wesley[/name] the best, and is voting for [name]Quillan[/name] [name]Wesley[/name] [name]Donald[/name] or just [name]Wesley[/name] [name]Donald[/name], nn [name]Quigley[/name] either way.

[name]Falcon[/name], [name]Desmond[/name] and [name]Gideon[/name] seem to be ranking much lower for him. It’s ok though, I’ll save them for next time if there is one. I’m honestly thrilled that we actually came up with more than one name that we both thought worth considering in the first place – quite an achievement, for us! Maybe by “next time” DH will have warmed up to [name]Amadeus[/name], my middle name true love! [name]Falcon[/name] [name]Amadeus[/name] has some definite appeal; I’m salivating at the thought of all that meaning packed into a name.

Personally I’m not completely ruling out the possibility of deciding on a different name when we see this little guy (it has happened to us before) so I think I will still make a list of alternate suggestions/combinations that come up! Thanks for the input, berries!

I prefer [name]Wesley[/name] [name]Donald[/name] or [name]Quigley[/name] [name]Donald[/name] to [name]Quillan[/name]. I don’t like [name]Quillan[/name] at all actually.

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Quigley[/name], not so much [name]Quillan[/name]. [name]Quillan[/name] makes me tink [name]Quill[/name] pen. I say go for [name]Quigley[/name].

hey Quigleys not that bad…although with donald i just don’t know, but it would be fun to call him Quigster.

[name]Love[/name] your story but I must say that [name]Quigley[/name] seems more suitable for a nice Labrador puppy or something. [name]Wesley[/name] [name]Donald[/name] [name]Tyler[/name] would work. I see a [name]Wes[/name] [name]Tyler[/name] being a star quarterback or a technology CEO.

I am surprised that the range of opinion on these Q names is so varied! This is very helpful, thanks.

DH would have a tough sell to get me to go for just [name]Wesley[/name] [name]Donald[/name]. I could probably come around if it were truly his only favorite, but [name]Wesley[/name] bores me just a little and the nn [name]Wes[/name] is just…NOT our style at all. I think I prefer two middle names this time since I absolutely have to work [name]Donald[/name] in here somewhere (FIL’s name and DH has wanted to use it ever since our first son).

For me, [name]Falcon[/name] is probably my next favorite of the group. Actually I like [name]Quade[/name] better than [name]Quillan[/name], [name]Quade[/name] means “fourth born” and I like that but DH is holding out getting on board with that one.