Help with boys name! Help to narrow down favourites please...

[name]Hi[/name] all,

We are trying to decide on a name for our baby boy (first name only) and so far we have a shortlist but I cannot narrow it down any further! What are your thoughts on these names:

[name]Connor[/name]/[name]Conor[/name]
[name]Dylan[/name]
[name]Luke[/name]
[name]Hamish[/name]

Also, any other suggestions would be most welcome! Middle name will be [name]David[/name].

I like [name]Luke[/name] as a nickname for [name]Luke[/name], but not so much on it’s own. [name]Luca[/name] or [name]Lucas[/name] [name]David[/name] would sound much more complete than [name]Luke[/name] [name]David[/name] would. I can’t stand [name]Connor[/name] (it’s a personal thing) and I do like [name]Dylan[/name], but I prefer the spelling of [name]Dillon[/name]. But [name]Dylan[/name] [name]David[/name] may sound a bit too matchy, so overall, I think [name]Luke[/name] would be best.

I like [name]Dylan[/name] the best. :slight_smile: I’m not sure about the alliteration for [name]Dylan[/name] [name]David[/name], but I do think it’s a strong, handsome, timeless combo.

Have you considered [name]Declan[/name]? It seems to fit in really well with your choices, but a bit more distinctive. I really like [name]Declan[/name] [name]David[/name].

Good luck!

I really like [name]Connor[/name]! [name]Luke[/name] sounds incomplete to me, [name]Lucas[/name] maybe?

None of them really do anything for me personally, I find them very normal/bland and I would find a [name]Connor[/name], [name]Dylan[/name] or [name]Luke[/name] or the majority of classrooms I went into in the UK and that doesn’t appeal to me. [name]Hamish[/name] is the exception there but I don’t like the sound of the name at all, I find it very whiny and I can’t get on board with it sorry.

My favourites would be [name]Dylan[/name] and [name]Luke[/name] (prefer [name]Lucas[/name] though). I dislike alliteration so that leaves me with [name]Luke[/name] [name]David[/name], which is nice enough.

Other ideas…
[name]Oscar[/name] [name]David[/name]
[name]Elliot[/name] [name]David[/name]
[name]Arlo[/name] [name]David[/name]
[name]Rhys[/name] [name]David[/name]
[name]Edgar[/name] [name]David[/name]
[name]Finlay[/name] [name]David[/name]
[name]Pierce[/name] [name]David[/name]
[name]Wesley[/name] [name]David[/name]
[name]Bryce[/name] [name]David[/name]
[name]Miles[/name] [name]David[/name] / [name]Milo[/name] [name]David[/name]
[name]Cole[/name] [name]David[/name]
[name]Rory[/name] [name]David[/name]
[name]Joel[/name] [name]David[/name]

[name]Conor[/name] [name]David[/name] or [name]Luke[/name] [name]David[/name] would be my choices. [name]Dylan[/name] seems dated to me, and hamish just isnt my style

[name]Connor[/name] [name]David[/name] gets my vote, followed by [name]Luke[/name] [name]David[/name] (I’d prefer [name]Lucas[/name] nn [name]Luke[/name] in this case though). I don’t like the repetitive D in [name]Dylan[/name] [name]David[/name] and I do not like [name]Hamish[/name] at all (I actually never knew exactly how this was pronounced until the movie Brave enlightened me…I still don’t like it).

[name]Luke[/name] is my fav from your list.

Thanks guys. As you can probably tell I am not really into very unusual names so I don’t mind that they are not that unique, but at the same time I don’t want too common either. In Australia (where I am from) [name]Hamish[/name] would be the most popular of those names at the moment with [name]Dylan[/name] probably being the least common/popular and [name]Luke[/name] and [name]Connor[/name] somewhere in the middle. As far as I know none of them would be overly common (certainly not top 10) but they would be reasonably so (in the top 50/100 which I am ok with).

My husband doesn’t like the aliteration of [name]Dylan[/name] [name]David[/name] either but [name]Dylan[/name] is probably my favourite of the names. I like [name]Luke[/name] but worry its a bit too plain (and [name]Lucas[/name] is way too popular here so I woudln’t have that). I do love [name]Hamish[/name] but as I said it’s getting very popular and I like [name]Connor[/name] but prefer it spelt with one ‘n’ and feel like people would get it worng all the time. [name]Even[/name] though I like those names, none really jump out above the rest. I’m not sure what to do! And to the PP who suggested [name]Declan[/name] - I do love that name but a a close friend has named her son that so it’s out. Any other siggestions would be great!

I am a fan of [name]Hamish[/name] of course because I have one!!
If you are not into popular names I would stay away from [name]Luke[/name]/[name]Luka[/name]/[name]Lucas[/name]. They are very popular. If you don’t choose [name]Hamish[/name] I would go for [name]Dylan[/name] I understand the DD thing but how often do you really use someone’s full name? If you like it go for it!

I like [name]Dylan[/name] on its own a lot, and [name]Dylan[/name] [name]David[/name] is less than ideal but not terrible.

[name]Luke[/name] is less popular here (NSW) than [name]Lucas[/name] and I like it more in any case, but I think [name]Luke[/name] is still more popular than some other L’s.

[name]Hamish[/name] is nice, I think it’s at around 50th in NSW. That’s not insanely high.

Suggestions: [name]Levi[/name], [name]Leo[/name], [name]Callum[/name], [name]Miles[/name], [name]Hugh[/name], [name]Henry[/name], [name]Cillian[/name].

I’m a real [name]Hamish[/name] fan. [name]Love[/name] that name, and not really crazy about the others.

I really like [name]Connor[/name] [name]David[/name]. GO WITH IT :slight_smile:

I like [name]Connor[/name] [name]David[/name] best of the names you listed. What about [name]Gavin[/name] or [name]Garrett[/name]?

I love [name]Luke[/name]! [name]Connor[/name]/[name]Conor[/name] would be my second pick.

[name]Conner[/name], but I’m partial, it is at the top of my list right now. But, honestly I do think it is a better choice than your others, but of course that’s just my personal opinion. My least favorite would be [name]Hamish[/name]. I just don’t like it at all, sorry. :slight_smile:

Of the names you’ve listed, I’d go with [name]Luke[/name]. [name]Conner[/name] and [name]Dylan[/name] seem to by popular over the last 5-6 years. And until tonight, I dont think I’d heard of [name]Hamish[/name]. And I’ve seen 4 or 5 messages asking about opinions on. Still hasnt grown on me.

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I’m leaning towards [name]Dylan[/name] after all that. I understand the DD thing, but as Hamsih’s mum said - how often do you really use a middle name anyway? Appreciate the comments :slight_smile:

I like most of your suggested name.
I agree [name]Lucas[/name] is too popular here in [name]Oz[/name].
Sounds like you want a gaelic type name that isn’t too popular or out there either?
[name]How[/name] about [name]Evan[/name]?
[name]Evan[/name] [name]David[/name]

I really like the sound of [name]Hamish[/name]. What are some nicknames you have for your son?