Help with character surnames?

I’m currently writing a young adult fiction book that is borderline fantasy.

I feel like my characters’ first names have just kind of fallen into place, but I’m so stuck on surnames!

I have a female character called [name_f]Liv[/name_f], who is from [name_u]California[/name_u], USA. She has dark hair and dark eyes, but is not of Hispanic ir [name_f]India[/name_f] or [name_f]Asian[/name_f] decent, she is more of mixed European decent, but her family has lived in [name_u]America[/name_u] for many, many years.

I have a male character called [name_u]Jameson[/name_u] from [name_f]England[/name_f], he is from a traditional English family that dates back over 100 years. He has sandy blonde hair and lighter grey eyes.

I have a male character called Makaio aka [name_u]Kai[/name_u], who is half Hawaiian, on his mother’s side. His father is an American Naval soldier stationed at the base in Oahu, [name_m]Hawaii[/name_m], but transferred to the base in San [name_m]Diego[/name_m]. He has more traditional Hawaiian features, with a slightly lighter skin tone.

Any suggestions are seriously welcome, I’m so stuck.

I don’t really know any Hawaiian surnames, or many surnames in general, but I just did a quick google search and said the full name altogether and put down what I thought sounded good. I suggest you do the same! For instance, for [name_f]Liv[/name_f] I put some Italian last names, some Greek, [name_m]German[/name_m], etc… Names meaning certain personality traits can work too. If you’re really stuck, most of the time first names can easily work as last names. For example, the name [name_u]Ryan[/name_u] can be both :slight_smile:

[name_f]Liv[/name_f]
Adriatico
[name_f]Allegro[/name_f]
Moretti
Schwarz
[name_m]Merrick[/name_m]
(I mostly looked for names that meant dark.)

[name_u]Jameson[/name_u]
[name_m]Edward[/name_m]
[name_m]Pike[/name_m]
[name_m]Lance[/name_m]

Makaio “[name_u]Kai[/name_u]”
Tamatoa
Mamoa
Kinimaka
([name_u]Kai[/name_u]'s was the hardest to look for tbh and I don’t know what ethncity his father is which would be more useful in last names, going by the traditional kid gets the dad’s last name.)

I often have trouble with last names too! I usually use this site: http://www.namegenerator.biz/last-name-generator.php . I like that it gives you more than the cookie-cutter names like [name_m]Smith[/name_m] or [name_m]Jones[/name_m]. Some of them are from different cultures. I can’t tell you how many last names I’ve gotten from it lol. And even if I don’t get what I’m looking for, it does give me some inspiration that leads me to last names. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helped!

For [name_f]Liv[/name_f], you could probably do something like [name_m]Jones[/name_m], [name_m]Gregory[/name_m] or [name_m]Winters[/name_m] if that works for you, and, for [name_u]Jameson[/name_u], probably [name_u]Monroe[/name_u] or [name_m]Gregory[/name_m]. As for [name_u]Kai[/name_u], you could probably do something like either [name_f]Summers[/name_f] or [name_m]Black[/name_m] if that works as a last name for him.