Help with Erik combos

Hey y’all! Continuing to slowly work on my boys’ list and narrow down which combos I like best. Today’s name is [name_m]Erik[/name_m]. Some may find it a bit dated (as it peaked in the late 70s/early 80s in the US at least), but I honestly like those kind of names and you don’t hear them much on kids anymore (and [name_m]Erik[/name_m] was never over-saturated) so don’t mind that a bit. I like the sharp, fresh look that it has (vs. the softer Eric) and it has an irresistible handsomeness to it, helped along by its somewhat Scandinavian vibe. I’ve compiled a list of combos that I’m digging for [name_m]Erik[/name_m] that (I think) complement the sharp, cool, handsome vibe that he has and I’ve included some thoughts on the combos as well.

I am particularly interested in feedback in flow, sound, and vibe, but any input on these [name_m]Erik[/name_m] combos is appreciated. Which ones are your favorites? Which don’t work at all? Why or why not? Rank them from fave to least fave, make a love/like/lose list, describe the combo with emojis or words, etc.!

the current faves - these were my top choices the last time I was brainstorming my boy combos before this current overhaul. how do they stand up to the rest of the list?
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Blaine[/name_m]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Stone[/name_m]

cool, but too old? - [name_m]Erik[/name_m] can already be perceived as some as being a bit dated, and I concede that it does sound like more of a “grown up” name (not a bad thing, considering most of one’s life is spent as a grown up, but just something to consider). I think these combos all sound good to me but want to make sure they pass the litmus test of not being too old-man.
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Alphonse[/name_m]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Amadeus[/name_m]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Anselme[/name_m]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Bradford[/name_m]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Valentin[/name_m]

too cool for school? - Like I said, I can’t help but think [name_m]Erik[/name_m] is just “cool”; not that “cool” is my number one factor in attracting me to a name, but it just has a suave handsomeness that I associate with it. There are similar names on my list with this vibe, too, but I want to know if pairing them with [name_m]Erik[/name_m] is a bit much? (or am I way overthinking lol)
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Brandt[/name_m]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Sabien[/name_m]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Slade[/name_m]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Vance[/name_m]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Zane[/name_m]

mixed-bag - they don’t fit into the categories above but they are still in the running on my considering list!
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Evander[/name_m] <-alliteration?
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_f]Sasha[/name_f] <-I like how the unisex [name_f]Sasha[/name_f] balances with [name_m]Erik[/name_m] but I wonder if [name_f]Sasha[/name_f] is too feminine to pair with such a masculine name?
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Vaughn[/name_m]

Thanks in advance y’all! <3

3 Likes

I knew a little [name_m]Erik[/name_m] (about 5) and it suited him perfectly!

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Blaine[/name_m] → breezy and cool and flows well

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Stone[/name_m] → quite nice but a bit harsh for me

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Alphonse[/name_m] → this has clunky-cool old man vibes - it’s pretty grand but I like that

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Amadeus[/name_m] → warm and charming and musical

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] → bold but warm

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Anselme[/name_m] → this one does feel a bit clunky-in-a-heavy-way

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Bradford[/name_m] → this does have 70s/80s vibes, and but that somehow makes it cool

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Valentin[/name_m] → this has a lot of style and charm, sort of snappy and sharp

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Brandt[/name_m] → I find this a bit harsh, a bit choppy

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Sabien[/name_m] → this is edgy but with an undertone of warm and gentle too

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Slade[/name_m] → this does feel very ‘cool’ and edgy

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Vance[/name_m] → I like this one, it is edgy but it’s got charm too, a sort of ruggedness

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m] → I’m not usually a [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m] fan but I really like it here. It’s somewhere between very cool and old fashioned, between classic and musical and strong and sharp

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Zane[/name_m] → pretty breezy and [name_m]Zane[/name_m] adds style

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Evander[/name_m] → I like the brightness the alliteration brings; it sounds cool and fun but rugged too

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_f]Sasha[/name_f] → I’ve only actually known masc Sashas so it doesn’t strike me as too feminine. [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Sacha[/name_m] / [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Sascha[/name_m] maybe?

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Vaughn[/name_m] → like [name_m]Vance[/name_m], this feels edgy but not over the top!

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourites over all:

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Blaine[/name_m]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Alphonse[/name_m]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Evander[/name_m]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Vaughn[/name_m]

I like [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Evander[/name_m] the best from your list. I also like [name_m]Amadeus[/name_m], but not with [name_m]Erik[/name_m]. [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Bradford[/name_m] is cool. That were only combos I liked.

What about [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Valerian[/name_m]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Desmond[/name_m]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Lucius[/name_m]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Maurice[/name_m]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Julian[/name_m]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_f]Harley[/name_f]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Hamelin[/name_m]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Igor[/name_m]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Peter[/name_m]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Elias[/name_m]
[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Jory[/name_m]

I definitely prefer this spelling! It reminds me of a few [name_m]Eriks[/name_m] I’ve met in Scandinavia, it’s actually really charming in a Norwegian accent haha

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Blaine[/name_m] & [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Stone[/name_m] & [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Brandt[/name_m] & [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Slade[/name_m] - I like their snappiness, but I don’t think I enjoy [name_m]Erik[/name_m] as much with one-syllable middle names! I think because the -ik ending is quite harsh, it sounds nicer with a more flowy middle.

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Alphonse[/name_m] & [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Amadeus[/name_m] & [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Anselme[/name_m] & [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Bradford[/name_m] - I kind of see what you mean with these. They’re still handsome (especially [name_m]Erik[/name_m] Amadeus!) but they definitely make [name_m]Erik[/name_m] feel more grown-up and serious! That said…

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] - I really like this one! Maybe because [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] is fairly well-liked on nameberry, maybe because of its softer sound with that elegant -rose ending, but I think it works nicely with [name_m]Erik[/name_m], adding vintage charm without making it stuffy at all

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Valentin[/name_m] - Also adore this one, but I’m biased because it’s exactly my own personal style and one of my favourite names :sweat_smile: I think [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Valentine[/name_m] may feel a tiny bit “older”, but [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Valentin[/name_m] with it’s more trendy -in ending works well !! It gives it that fashionable European vibe that I just love

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Sabien[/name_m] - Really like this one! I don’t know if I’ve seen [name_m]Sabien[/name_m] before, but it adds some intrigue to [name_m]Erik[/name_m], while working really well to balance out its harsher sound

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m] - I think this one also feels quite mature and serious, so if you’re looking to avoid that vibe, I wouldn’t go for it

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Zane[/name_m] - I know I said I don’t love one-syllable middles with [name_m]Erik[/name_m], but this one’s nice!! Again, because of Zane’s cool and zippy but softer sound. It makes [name_m]Erik[/name_m] feel fresher as well !

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Vaughn[/name_m] - Very similar sounding to [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Zane[/name_m], I think I slightly prefer it with [name_m]Vaughn[/name_m]! It has the same appeal, while being a slightly more cohesive stylistic match

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Evander[/name_m] - I really like the alliteration here! I’m neither a lover nor a hater of alliteration in general, but there’s just something cool about how this one sounds, without being over the top.

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_f]Sasha[/name_f] - Hmm I get what you mean! I don’t know if you’re open to other spellings, but I think [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Sacha[/name_m] would work better - for some reason it feels more unisex to me! And it flow really nicely with [name_m]Erik[/name_m] :yellow_heart:

[name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Evander[/name_m]

1 Like

I agree with you on the cool, sleek and handsomeness of Erik! Here are my highly subjective ramblings on your combos…

Erik Blaine, love this! Very, very cool :sunglasses:
Erike Stone - too cold. Stone isn’t complementing Erik well, it’s put out Erik’s spark! But idk if I have ever liked Stone as a name in any combo, to be honest.

Erik Alphonse - retro, but not 'old man’s
Erik Amadeus - cultured, bold, dashing!
Erik Ambrose - love this! It feels fresh and youthful
Erik Anselme - not my cup of tea, but no old man vibes detected.
Erik Bradford - this one I find dated. Bradford reminds me of 80’s Brads and Bradleys & Bradford Mead in Ugly Betty. I like your combo of Bradford Riley better. Riley brings a youthful balance that I appreciate.
Erik Valentin - handsome, but a bit too sharp overall with the i’s, T and V.

Erik Brandt - sounds a bit blunt
Erik Sabien - I like this a lot. It’s very sharply cool, but in a good way! Sabien is pleasantly unexpected for me, I think I only heard it for the first time the other day. I do however, prefer your combo of Marco Sabien. It’s a bit less sharp, but still just as cool.
Erik Slade - similar thoughts to Erik Sabien.
Erik Vance - love this!! I can’t articulate why, but I find Vance a warm name, so I love it here with Erik.
Erik Wolfgang - I can’t speak constructively here as I dislike Wolfgang.
Erik Zane - I like it.

Erik Evander - I like the alliteration! I prefer this to Evander Fable. Erik Evander is a better balance of familiar and poetic.
Erik Sasha - love this! I feel that the names work very well together. I’m about 50/50 for feminine and masculine Sashas that I’ve met, which might influence my feelings that Sasha is not too feminine leaning to pair well with Sasha.
Erik Vaughn - handsome as can be! Two enthusiastic thumbs up.

My three favourites in order are

1. Erik Amadeus
  2. Erik Ambrose
  3. Erik Vance

I’m glad to see [name_m]Erik[/name_m] getting some love! I think of it as a “new classic”, and have always thought it’s very handsome.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite combinations from your lists are [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Blaine[/name_m], [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m], [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Zane[/name_m], & [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Vaughn[/name_m]. Excellent choices!

It’s hard for me to think of [name_m]Erik[/name_m] as a first name, as my Norwegian cousins all use [name_m]Erik[/name_m] as a double first name: Leif-Erik, Karl-Erik, and Kaj-Erik.

Of your choices, I like [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Amadeus[/name_m] and [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Valentin[/name_m].

Wow, thanks so much y’all! Y’all have given me a lot to ponder.

@greyblue it’s awesome to know that you know a young [name_m]Erik[/name_m]! I normally prefer the [name_f]Sasha[/name_f] spelling, but I think I actually do really like you and @tallemaja’s suggestions of [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Sacha[/name_m]!

@Sorceress thank you! I’m happy to see [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Evander[/name_m] well-received. Actually I had [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] on my list but I cut it at the last second because I was being picky about the “r” sounds being a little too close together, lol.

@tallemaja as usual, I appreciate your detailed insight :heart_hands: I so agree with you about [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Valentin[/name_m] - it really is so fashionable and cool. It’s so difficult for me to choose a favorite!

@EdgeOfTheMeadow so many bonus points for comparing these to current combos! I feel like my problem with boy names is that a lot sound really good together, but figuring out which should go with which is a struggle precisely because I like so many combos :sweat_smile: I do have to say that [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Amadeus[/name_m] was kind of a last minute addition but it was growing on me and you’ve made me like it more!

@somemelodioussonnet Aw thanks so much - I’m glad to see [name_m]Erik[/name_m] getting love from other people!

@miloowen oooh interesting! I didn’t know it was used that way in Norway!

3 Likes

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] definitely reminds me of kids I went to school with in the 90s. But I don’t think it’s too dated too use! It’s still a strong, nice name.

[name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Blaine[/name_m], [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m], [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Zane[/name_m], [name_m]Erik[/name_m] [name_m]Vaughn[/name_m] are the ones that stood out to me in each category! I think they’re all solid choices. [name_m]Erick[/name_m] [name_m]Vaughn[/name_m] is my favorite.

1 Like