Help with German Name

[name]Crescentia[/name]

Yes, I know… it’s a little bad… BUT

This was my great-grandmother’s middle name (first name was [name]Olga[/name] – ew!). She was from Germany. My husband and I are both 1/4 [name]German[/name], and I thought it would be cool if we incorporated that by using [name]Crescentia[/name] in the mn spot for a girl. I tried looking it up, but no two sites said anything consistent with each other. I was hoping someone on here might be familiar with [name]German[/name] names and could could tell me something about it.

My question: [name]How[/name] is it pronounced?
Cruh-sen-tee-uh
Cruh-sen-shuh
Cruh-shen-tee-uh
Cruh-shen-shuh
Some other pronounciation?

Second question: Is it completely terrible? Should I just forget it?

I don’t love it for a first name but I think it would be a great middle name. I would pronounce it Cruh-sen-tee-uh. [name]How[/name] would you pronounce it?

[name]Crescentia[/name] is a lovely, lyrical name but it would take alot to pull it off as a first name. It would be great in the middle name spot. I usually don’t like frilly and feminine names but this is one exception. It would be even more special for you because it’s honouring a relative and your [name]German[/name] heritage. It makes me think of a crescent moon. It’s from the Latin male name Crescentius who was a boy saint martyred under Emperor Diocletian’s persecutions in the 4th century. I’ve always pronounced it the Latin way “Cruh-shen-shuh”.

I agree that it would be great as a middle name! Beautiful name, and what a wonderful way to honor your heritage!

Fantastic middle name!
I also had to smile, because my great grandmothers name is also [name]Olga[/name]! :smiley: She was Norwegian, though. My other great grandmother is Gida (pronounced Gyda). Not much to choose from, lol! But honestly, I didn’t think [name]Olga[/name] was that bad. A little clunky, but in a cute way :wink: Maybe someday Gida/Gyda and [name]Olga[/name] will be the new hot name! :smiley:

I think it’s a fine choice in the middle - fun, feminine and unusual. And it reminds me of croissants and crescent rolls - yum :lol:

I speak a little [name]German[/name], and while I wouldn’t say my answer is foolproof as I am not actually [name]German[/name], I am fairly certain [name]Crescentia[/name] would be pronounced KRESS-ent-ee-a.

[name]Auburn[/name]

“Kress-en-tee-a” would be the pronounciation that I like the best. The only one that I really don’t like is “Kruh-shen-shuh.” It’s just a little too much.

I saw one website that pronounced it Kreh-sant-shuh and another that had kray-sen-chah. Confusing, I know! While I prefer the above way; it would be nice for my daughter to know how to pronounce her middle name correctly! lol!