Help with middle name Hayes

Hello everyone. I could really use your imput on a name I’ve been struggling with.

My top combo since I was 13 has always been [name]William[/name] [name]Rhys[/name] “[name]Will[/name]” . It honours both my grandfathers (one of whom was Welsh) and I’ve always loved it.

For a second boy, or an alternative if for some reason I can’t used [name]William[/name] [name]Rhys[/name], I would love use [name]Hayes[/name] as a middle name.

[name]Hayes[/name] was my grandmothers maiden name and I was very close to her. She always hated her name, [name]Edna[/name] (no middle name), but was actually quite hurt when one of my cousins foolishly told her as a child that “she would never name her daughter [name]Edna[/name] because it was horrible”. This upset my nana for years, because, although she didn’t want another child to have to be called [name]Edna[/name] (which she hated) she felt left out that her mother, husband, brother and even her son had namesakes in the family but not her.

I’ve tried all the variations of [name]Edna[/name] but none of them feel right, but I’d love to use [name]Hayes[/name] as a mn for a boy in honour of her. I just can’t find a perfect combo for it. Is it weird to name a boy after a grandmother?

Here’s what I have:

[name]Julian[/name] [name]Hayes[/name] – I love how this sounds, but I’m just not sure if I love [name]Julian[/name] enough. Sometimes it seems too wimpy to me :confused:

Macsen [name]Hayes[/name] – Macsen is the Welsh form of [name]Maxim[/name] (I’d love to honour my Welsh heritage). It’s the name of a medieval hero (see BBC Wales - History - Themes - The Dream of Macsen Wledig). I was surprised, looking at statistics to see that it isn’t actually uncommon amongst English and Welsh upper/middle class, and as I’m English this shouldn’t be a problem. Kind of like [name]Rufus[/name] or [name]Felix[/name]
I’d use “Macs/[name]Max[/name]” or “[name]Mac[/name]” as a nickname.

[name]Frederick[/name] [name]Hayes[/name] – [name]Love[/name] [name]Frederick[/name], not sure on the flow here though. Plus I dislike [name]Freddie[/name], but quite like [name]Ned[/name] as a nick instead.

Any comments on the above or new suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :slight_smile:

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Julian[/name] [name]Hayes[/name]! I love the flow. Was the flow your only problem with [name]Julian[/name]? If you don’t love [name]Julian[/name] I wouldn’t use it, but does the nn [name]Jude[/name] help? I think it is just amazing, too! I don’t think it is weird at all to name your son after your grandmother. It might be weird if you were trying to use a name like [name]Margaret[/name] that is wholly femininie, but [name]Hayes[/name] is perfect! Its a great, great name.

Macsen [name]Hayes[/name] - once I read that it is part of your heritage I liked it more. The spelling sort of confused me. I thought it was trying to be [name]Mason[/name], but I’m assuming it is prn just as its spelt? I really don’t mind this name. Be prepared to answer questions about it, though. [name]Love[/name] the nn [name]Max[/name] or [name]Mac[/name]…really cute. I don’t think the flow as amazing here.

[name]Frederick[/name] [name]Hayes[/name] - I think the flow is nice here, but I’m not a [name]Frederick[/name] fan…

Are you opposed to using two middles? You could do [name]William[/name] [name]Rhys[/name] [name]Hayes[/name] or [name]William[/name] [name]Hayes[/name] [name]Rhys[/name] to fit it all in there :slight_smile:

If you’re not loving [name]Julian[/name]…do you like any of these?

Same Look/Sound:
[name]Julius[/name] (although flow is not as great with [name]Hayes[/name] as [name]Julian[/name])
[name]Julio[/name]
[name]August[/name] (because both tied to [name]Caesar[/name]…[name]Julius[/name] [name]Caesar[/name] or [name]Caesar[/name] [name]Augustus[/name])
[name]Jude[/name] (can stand alone)
[name]Judah[/name]
[name]Jonah[/name]
[name]Judd[/name]
[name]Elian[/name]
[name]Killian[/name] (though you have “kill” in there) but sounds great with [name]Hayes[/name]

[name]Julian[/name] is a saint name…so are these: :slight_smile:
[name]Adrian[/name]
[name]Breccan[/name]
[name]Finnian[/name] (sounds great with [name]Hayes[/name])
[name]Isaac[/name] ([name]Isaac[/name] [name]Hayes[/name] was an actor that died last year, though)
[name]Kieran[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]

Same “feel” as [name]Julian[/name]:
[name]Anderson[/name]
[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Felix[/name] ([name]Felix[/name] [name]Hayes[/name] sounds like a really cool dude!)
[name]Gregory[/name]
[name]Phillip[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]
[name]Walker[/name]

Same [name]Feel[/name] as [name]Frederick[/name]:
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Llewellyn[/name] (Welsh)
[name]Phineas[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name]
[name]Vincent[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name] (with [name]Hayes[/name] this is amazing!)
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name]
[name]How[/name] about these other Welsh names?
[name]Bowen[/name]
[name]Carew[/name]
[name]Dawson[/name]
[name]Drystan[/name]
[name]Edan[/name] (really close to [name]Edna[/name]!)
[name]Gareth[/name] (great with [name]Hayes[/name])
[name]Maddox[/name]
[name]Owen[/name]
[name]Trevor[/name]
[name]Wyn[/name]

What if you use a name for a first name that incorporates [name]Hayes[/name]? Or just use [name]Hayes[/name]?
ie - [name]Hayden[/name]

Thanks for the comments! Yes, Macsen is pronounced how it looks ([name]Maxen[/name] would be the English spelling I guess).

From your suggestions I love [name]Finnian[/name], [name]August[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name]! [name]Breccan[/name] is pretty cool too. I’ve seen it but never really considered it before :slight_smile:

I’ve toyed with the idea of [name]Owen[/name] [name]Hayes[/name] but wasn’t sure of the flow.

I love the combination of [name]Julian[/name] [name]Hayes[/name], and don’t think [name]Julian[/name] is at all wimpy. [name]Owen[/name] [name]Hayes[/name] also works. I think a two syllable name in front of [name]Hayes[/name] is what makes it.

I’m not so sure about Macsen, or at least that spelling of it here in the US where the Welsh population is extremely small. As a teacher, if I saw that on my roster I would have no idea how to pronounce that. Would it completely defeat the purpose of honoring your Welsh heritate to spell it as Maxsen?

I don’t really want to mess with the spelling. I live in [name]England[/name], and Welsh names are quite common and most are familiar. Macsen has been used quite a few times here over the last few years. It’s not common – but not unheard of.

I love all those names. I’m not kidding at all. [name]Julian[/name] is a bit tough in [name]America[/name] - I think it is picking up and not so unused/ususual as it was, and I have since found that I love that name, [name]Julian[/name]. I would not hesitate on this name anymore, unless I had a daughter [name]Julia[/name] or some variation already.

Macsen - this as you describe is more familiar to the ears where you are, this does not seem too weird or anything. This is fantastic.

[name]Frederick[/name] - I think the most solid of the choices. I don’t know what’s “trendy” where you are, but this translates best to the US, from where I am judging your choices. This seems firmly masculine and familiar everywhere, and becoming one of my list maybe probably.

[name]Hayes[/name] - is awesome. I think if you could honor your grandmother, this would be great for a middle name or even a first name. I wrote at some length in another thread that I would love to honor my own grandmother above everyone else in my family. I do not think it would be weird to honor her name for a boy with [name]Hayes[/name]. [name]Edna[/name], no. Maybe another “[name]Ed[/name]” name, if you chose to, but that is really a good thing to pass on to your children, a woman who means something to you is not too feminine to honor a son with some part of her name.

[name]William[/name] [name]Rhys[/name] ("[name]Will[/name]") - I love this. I have a loving and strong foundation in names I have loved since youth, such that if this name was usable, I would use it, if this has fascinated you for a long time. I don’t know about “saving” names or using them all up as if this might be your only son with more middle names than necessary - I like 2 at most, although [name]William[/name] [name]Rhys[/name] [name]Hayes[/name] ______ would work, I think using everything on one child might short one of ideas for subsequent children.

Middle names:
I would consider [name]Hayes[/name] for a daughter also, or some variant that [name]Edna[/name] would work, even [name]Edna[/name], I don’t hate it so much. I don’t like it a lot either, but I don’t know what’s so terrible about it.

[name]Theodore[/name] [name]Hayes[/name]

[name]Owen[/name] [name]Hayes[/name] is the winner for me. I think it is a great idea to use the name [name]Hayes[/name] as a mn.

I love Macsen [name]Hayes[/name], too! :slight_smile:

[name]Byron[/name] [name]Hayes[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name] [name]Hayes[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name] [name]Hayes[/name]
[name]Everett[/name] [name]Hayes[/name]
[name]Edward[/name] [name]Hayes[/name]
[name]Maxfield[/name] [name]Hayes[/name]
[name]Milo[/name] [name]Hayes[/name]
[name]Raphael[/name] [name]Hayes[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name] [name]Hayes[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]How[/name] about [name]Donovan[/name] [name]Hayes[/name]?

Some lovely suggestions above, but just wanted to add that I also love Macsen [name]Hayes[/name]. It’s unusual without being odd (especially here in the UK, as you say) and it works so nicely with your gran’s name. What a lovely tribute!

If you want to use [name]Edna[/name] why not give it a twist and use [name]Edana[/name] for a girl or [name]Eden[/name] or [name]Aidan[/name] for a boy?

I absolutely love [name]Owen[/name] [name]Hayes[/name] and [name]August[/name] [name]Hayes[/name]. [name]Julian[/name] for me is not so masculine. [name]Frederick[/name] is actually great. BUT, in all honestly, I prefer [name]Hayes[/name] as the first name. I think it is such a strong, appealing and handsome name. Obviously it depends on your last name, but I would love to see it as a first.

You always give such good input, [name]Elea[/name]. I will have to return later when I have time!

I think using your grandmother’s name for a son is wonderful! And [name]Hayes[/name] is a great name!

My 13 year old suggests
[name]Quillan[/name] [name]Hayes[/name] nn [name]Quinn[/name]

and I was thinking of the Welsh [name]Owain[/name]
[name]Owain[/name] [name]Hayes[/name]

[name]Hayes[/name] is a wonderful name. My 2nd son is [name]Matthew[/name] [name]Hayes[/name] and he is named after his great grandfather, [name]Charles[/name] [name]Hayes[/name]. I think it would be a wonderful way to honor your grandmother. I like [name]Frederick[/name] [name]Hayes[/name] nn [name]Ned[/name] myself but that is because I had a wonderful uncle by the name of [name]Frederick[/name] who died in his 40’s due to complications from kidney disease. This was in the 80’s. I am glad to see [name]Frederick[/name] making a comeback. Good luck with finding the perfect name.

Thank you all, you’ve been a great help. I’m glad so many of you like the idea of my using [name]Hayes[/name]. And even nicer that some of you like Macsen :slight_smile:

fergosky – I have played around with [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Owain[/name] before, but never gave much thought to using the sp [name]Owain[/name] as a fn.

rollo – Funnily enough, my nana always said that she wishes she’d changed her name to ‘[name]Edana[/name]’ when she was younger. I just can’t quite love it. I don’t know why.